Sell your soul?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Sell your soul?

Post #1

Post by RobertUrbanek »

Would you sell your soul if someone offered to buy it? If so, what would be your minimum asking price?

Presumably, the transaction would require some kind of documentation, perhaps a notarized transfer of title. A few years ago, a young woman offered to sell her soul on eBay but I don’t recall if there were any takers.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

Sure why not? If you are gullible enough to offer me money for it, I'll sell it to you. Just as long as you don't think I'm going to do everything you ask. I'll sell my soul, but not any of my time or energies... unless of course the price is right.

The way I see it is the soul is imaginary. In reality, if it exists, it's just part of your brain, although if you insist on slicing out part of my brain the deal is off. If you think it's something intangible and it's something I can sign away like Bart Simpson did to Milhouse, then fine, I'm ok with that. I don't see how you as a human is ever going to benefit from having my soul.

God would know I'm not taking this deal seriously. I doubt he's just going to hand my soul over to another human because I made a deal. And if we were to take this whole soul think seriously, how does it actually end up being yours anyway? Is God actually going to allow it to happen? I somehow doubt that. It's not something that just can be handed over by a financial transaction or a signing of something, even in blood. How do you even know it's yours? I could still have it and you wouldn't even know.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: Sell your soul?

Post #22

Post by Yahu »

[Replying to post 1 by RobertUrbanek]

I already have. That is what it means to be a Christian, giving yourself to service to Yeshua. What was the price? Well Yeshua died for me for the forgiveness of all my sins, past, present and future. There is no way the devil could out bid that!

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #23

Post by OnceConvinced »

Yahu wrote: [Replying to post 1 by RobertUrbanek]

I already have. That is what it means to be a Christian, giving yourself to service to Yeshua. What was the price? Well Yeshua died for me for the forgiveness of all my sins, past, present and future. There is no way the devil could out bid that!
How can you be so sure that Yeshua has your soul? What if he decided you weren't worthy?

What proof can you produce, even to yourself that your soul now belongs to Yeshua? And what did you actually sell it for? How can it be shown you received any kind of benefit from Yeshua at all even it he did buy it from you?

Also isn't salvation supposed to be a free gift?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Yahu »

OnceConvinced wrote:

How can you be so sure that Yeshua has your soul? What if he decided you weren't worthy?

What proof can you produce, even to yourself that your soul now belongs to Yeshua? And what did you actually sell it for? How can it be shown you received any kind of benefit from Yeshua at all even it he did buy it from you?

Also isn't salvation supposed to be a free gift?
Of course you can't provide proof to others. They can only judge you for your fruits but you can't see a persons inner being.

Kyrani99
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by Kyrani99 »

This is Pauline Christianity and it is made up.
Forgiveness for future as well? Does that mean you think that you can be as bad as you like and get it all washed away?
"The Kingdom of God is within you" ~Jesus.

"To love is to know Me, thy innermost nature,
the truth that I AM!" ~Gita

I was drawn to the Beloved like a moth to a flame;
When I came to my senses I was burned up in the flame.
~ Asheq-e Esfahani

Ethics are spiritual but natural laws
http://liberatingethics.wordpress.com/

My criticism of the book “The God Delusion� by Richard Dawkins
http://kyrani99godnscience.wordpress.com/

puddleglum
Sage

Post #26

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 23 by OnceConvinced]
Jesus paid the price for our souls because he knows we aren't worthy. Jesus came to call sinners, not the righteous, to repentance.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

puddleglum
Sage

Post #27

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 25 by Kyrani99]
Forgiveness for future as well? Does that mean you think that you can be as bad as you like and get it all washed away?
No. When we are forgiven we are also reborn with a nature that doesn't want to sin. If we give in to the desires of our old nature and sin anyway God will discipline us so that we will turn back to living the way we should.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Kyrani99
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Kyrani99 »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Kyrani99]
No. When we are forgiven we are also reborn with a nature that doesn't want to sin. If we give in to the desires of our old nature and sin anyway God will discipline us so that we will turn back to living the way we should.
No means yes.
I could accept the first part you said about being reborn with a nature that doesn't want to sin, though I don't see it exactly that way. However you contradict yourself in the next sentence. If in gaining forgiveness your nature is changed, then you can't possibly sin again. So really the future bit is accounted for in the change of nature. Why say it?

Sin in the Greek is amartia, which really means missing the mark or not getting it right because the person doesn't see enough of the big picture. So I don't understand sin as something bad in the sense of being evil. Evil is never forgiven. Sin is doing things wrong because of ignorance or not having enough understanding.

So really forgiveness is an awakening. While the person is sinning they are locked into an understanding that is limited. And when forgiven they arrive at a realization of their own nature or soul with respect to God. What I understand from the Greek in the word forgiveness, which in Greek is synchorisis, syn= together and chorisis = accommondating, two parts (the sinner and the Divine) being yoked or been fitting together. If I were a Christian I guess I would say forgiveness is the awakening of the Christ Consciousness within, which is the soul, the part that is "being" or in some traditions called the Higher Self.
"The Kingdom of God is within you" ~Jesus.

"To love is to know Me, thy innermost nature,
the truth that I AM!" ~Gita

I was drawn to the Beloved like a moth to a flame;
When I came to my senses I was burned up in the flame.
~ Asheq-e Esfahani

Ethics are spiritual but natural laws
http://liberatingethics.wordpress.com/

My criticism of the book “The God Delusion� by Richard Dawkins
http://kyrani99godnscience.wordpress.com/

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #29

Post by OnceConvinced »

puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 23 by OnceConvinced]
Jesus paid the price for our souls because he knows we aren't worthy. Jesus came to call sinners, not the righteous, to repentance.
That doesn't answer my questions. How can you know those things for certain? Many Christians are apparently not true Christians but believe whole-heatedly that they are. There are all these deluded Christians around all convinced they are saved and that their soul belongs to god. How can anyone be assured their souls belong to Jesus?
puddleglum wrote: [Replying to post 25 by Kyrani99]
No. When we are forgiven we are also reborn with a nature that doesn't want to sin.
Human nature doesn't just suddenly change. The urges are always there because it's the way humans are. No Christian I have ever come across has suddenly found those urges suddenly clear away after repentance. They learn to control and suppress them, that's all. In fact most Christians will testify to the fact that they continue to struggle with the desires to commit the same old sins but Jesus helps them overcome.

Like Paul so eloquently put it:

I Corinthians 9:27: I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Yahu »

Kyrani99 wrote:

This is Pauline Christianity and it is made up.
Nope, not made up but scriptural. Paul's writings are in scripture.

Yes, all sin is already paid for on the eternal consequences of entrance into the kingdom but the rewards of the kingdom are based on our sanctification process. We are rewarded in the kingdom for overcoming of error after salvation. And if you willingly continue in major sin, well death is the consequences of sin. Not spiritual death but physical death. You loose the option to gain greater rewards.

Who wants to be poor (in heavenly riches), blind (spiritually) and naked (lacking robes of righteousness) on the streets of gold? Who wants to be banned from entering through the gates of the heavenly capitol city or denied access to the tree of life?

Rev 22:
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

We will be rewards for how well we follow the commandments. That is clearly demonstrated. Salvation gets us into the kingdom but our actions determine our status within the kingdom.

Salvation isn't earned by religious works but rewards are based on our actions.