Sell your soul?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Sell your soul?

Post #1

Post by RobertUrbanek »

Would you sell your soul if someone offered to buy it? If so, what would be your minimum asking price?

Presumably, the transaction would require some kind of documentation, perhaps a notarized transfer of title. A few years ago, a young woman offered to sell her soul on eBay but I don’t recall if there were any takers.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

I'll sell my soul for a nicely cooked steak.

Really, though... I'd consider selling my soul once I actually know what it is and whether I have one or not. :P

David 2.0

Hi...

Post #3

Post by David 2.0 »

O Brother Where Art Thou?

Sold my soul cause I wasn't using it.

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

From my perspective, to "sell your soul", symbolically means to lose who you are. Or to lose your true essence.

Of course, the selling of a soul is based on the tale of Dr. Faustus.

Dr. Faustus never really sold his soul in the original tale, in fact he merely made a wager or bet with the devil. Essentially the devil gives him a ton of power, and if he screws up, the devil is allowed to take his soul (according to the pact/bet/wager).

The newer tales of Dr. Faustus have been changed to have him selling his soul.

To me, any Christian that ascribes to believe in the choice to sell your soul, must have been brainwashed from a young age. No doubt, such a person lacks proper education in many fields. Possibly being on the same par as someone who still believes in possession; a very primitive belief unfounded by science to this day. It was virtually obliterated by the discoveries of modern/early psychology.

Just my 5$ worth of nonsense! :D

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Sell your soul?

Post #5

Post by connermt »

RobertUrbanek wrote:Would you sell your soul if someone offered to buy it? If so, what would be your minimum asking price?

Presumably, the transaction would require some kind of documentation, perhaps a notarized transfer of title. A few years ago, a young woman offered to sell her soul on eBay but I don’t recall if there were any takers.
I offen wondered about this myself. I asked a group of believers and was told, basically, your soul's not yours to give away, which sounded strange but I was used to believers not making a lot of sense in some of the things they said/claimed.

My soul's not for sale....who am I kidding? Of course it is!
Any taked, please IM/PM me.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

I would sell my soul to the first person who can tell me what it is and demonstrate and validate how they know this information.

6,000 tokens. Any takers?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Thatguy
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Thatguy »

RobertUrbanek wrote:Would you sell your soul if someone offered to buy it? If so, what would be your minimum asking price?

I might sell my soul for a bushel of the color of the number 7. If you offer me your keyboard's conscience for my soul, you've got a deal. I'd be reluctant to sell my soul for something demonstrably real, though. What if you embroiled me in years of litigation for fraud? I'd have a hard time proving that I ever provided you with one soul in exchange for the valuable consideration you gave me. If you give me something I know you are equally incapable of demonstrating exists, then I'd feel more comfortable that we are exchanging goods of equal worth.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

Thatguy wrote: I might sell my soul for a bushel of the color of the number 7.
Would that be an Imperial bushel or a U.S. bushel? Either way, don't sell yourself short. You should hold out for at least 50 liters. And take the color of the number 6, it is a perfect number.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by His Name Is John »

TheBlackPhilosophy wrote:Dr. Faustus never really sold his soul in the original tale, in fact he merely made a wager or bet with the devil. Essentially the devil gives him a ton of power, and if he screws up, the devil is allowed to take his soul (according to the pact/bet/wager).
I studdied Faustus and I am sure he did actually sell his soul (in the original play). There where 'real' people he was based on though, so that might be what you are talking about.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sell my soul?

For a night with Roberta Murgo, I'd sell your soul!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin