aimed to all religions (and atheists)

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

TheViral

aimed to all religions (and atheists)

Post #1

Post by TheViral »

You have decided that a change in faith is in order after proof is revealed that yours is fake (for atheists: a message from a higher power is proven to be legitimate) however you don't know if this is a test or not my question...Is your faith in you religion strong enough to surpass the evidence provided to you by your fellow humans?
(for atheists: do you believe in this religion or risk being judged by humanity?)

P.S this hypothetical religion is the only one left that makes sense

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Re: aimed to all religions (and atheists)

Post #2

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

TheViral wrote:You have decided that a change in faith is in order after proof is revealed that yours is fake (for atheists: a message from a higher power is proven to be legitimate) however you don't know if this is a test or not my question...Is your faith in you religion strong enough to surpass the evidence provided to you by your fellow humans?
(for atheists: do you believe in this religion or risk being judged by humanity?)

Can you rephrase the question? Perhaps clarify it a bit?

Thank you! :D

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by His Name Is John »

So I can no longer be a Christian? Or just no longer be a Catholic?

If no longer a Catholic, then I will become an Orthodox.

If no longer a Christian then probably Hinduism, I can still then follow Jesus, and the Holy Spirit (and keep most of my religious teachings).
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

TheViral

Post #4

Post by TheViral »

TheBlackPhilosophy wrote:
TheViral wrote:You have decided that a change in faith is in order after proof is revealed that yours is fake (for atheists: a message from a higher power is proven to be legitimate) however you don't know if this is a test or not my question...Is your faith in you religion strong enough to surpass the evidence provided to you by your fellow humans?

You have to choose between a religon that you have never heard about before or stay with the religion you have chosen

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

TheViral wrote:
TheBlackPhilosophy wrote:

You have to choose between a religon that you have never heard about before or stay with the religion you have chosen
I don't have a religion, I have a path.

To me the hypothetical is a false dichotomy; perhaps also a loaded question.

Haven

Post #6

Post by Haven »

If atheism were proven false (i.e., if a god/gods were proven to exist), there is no way I would remain an atheist. In such a case, I would go with the religion/path that was true.

If I had a choice of religion, I would go with either Sikhism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikhism), Jainism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism), or theologically liberal Christianity.

Chase200mph
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Chase200mph »

You have decided that a change in faith is in order after proof is revealed that yours is fake (for atheists: a message from a higher power is proven to be legitimate) however you don't know if this is a test or not my question...Is your faith in you religion strong enough to surpass the evidence provided to you by your fellow humans?

His Name Is John: So I can no longer be a Christian? Or just no longer be a Catholic?

If no longer a Catholic, then I will become an Orthodox.

If no longer a Christian then probably Hinduism, I can still then follow Jesus, and the Holy Spirit (and keep most of my religious teachings).

Answer: So for the atheist it would be, the government says god exists. So now I am compelled to believe, therefore I am a Christian Nazi and therefore saved and bound to spread the good word….

Wait, I heard from god, now I know he exists so I am no longer considered an atheist though I am still Pagan because this higher power (god) never heard of Christians and I am now sworn once again to topple there false images of Christendom because with great knowledge and power comes great responsibility…. So essentially, nothing HAS changed.

nyan-eleven
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by nyan-eleven »

Perhaps I would choose the Jedi church; they have a legitimate, existing saviour.

Chase200mph
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Chase200mph »

nyan-eleven wrote:Perhaps I would choose the Jedi church; they have a legitimate, existing saviour.
Auh, Spaceballs… LOL!

nyan-eleven
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by nyan-eleven »

We Jedi prefer to worship those who have fought lengthy battles for our safety, such as Lando and Hans.