Spouse dislikes prospective step-parent

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

Spouse dislikes prospective step-parent

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

Your wife is the child of parents who divorced when she was young. Let's say you're both 30-35, well past the age where there might be an irrational hope of the parents getting back together. Your father-in-law has announced that he is getting married after dating a woman for a few years. Your wife doesn't like the person he chose to marry, though your wife is pleasant enough when they are together in deference to her father. Assume neither the father nor the prospective wife know that she feels this way. Privately, he confides in you that one of the main reasons he's marrying this woman is that she gets along so well with his daughter. (change gender roles if necessary)

So, do you tell the truth or keep the true nature of the relationship to yourself? And, if truth, who do you tell?

ed: title

otseng
Savant

Re: Spouse dislikes prospective step-parent

Post #2

Post by otseng »

ST88 wrote: So, do you tell the truth or keep the true nature of the relationship to yourself? And, if truth, who do you tell?
I would tell the truth to my wife. I would reveal to her that one of the main reasons her father is marrying is because they seem to get along well. After discussing it with my wife, then we'd talk about what to do next. If we decide that it would be best to be open with her father as well, then we'd approach him and tell him how we really feel about them getting married.

topaz
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by topaz »

I would think along these lines :

1-according to scripture, no divorce is legal unless it is based on certain circumstances. Either party cannot marry another. If either party does so, the third party becomes guilty of sin.

2-if the divorce is legal, then these questions need to be answered --

2.1 is the daughter or her husband supporting the father financially. If they are not and he is on his own feet, he should marry whoever makes him happy. We all need someone.

2.2 if the father is marrying his girlfriend only b/c he believes the women get along, then the truth should be told..

2.3 the daughter should remember her place. As a daughter, do you dictate to your parent who he can or cannot marry?

2.4 is there any good reason why the daughter dislikes her father’s gf ? jealousy ?

2.5 would she approve of any woman other than her mother ? If so, she is selfish. What would she do if she were in her father’s shoes ?

2.6 if the father breaks off with his gf, could the daughter care for him as only a wife could ?

2.7 obviously, the daughter + her father should sit down and have a good heart to heart talk. Her husband should simply listen and keep quiet unless he is supporting her father financially.