Divine assassination

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Divine assassination

Post #1

Post by Bugmaster »

This is a question for all the theists in the forum, obviously, with a strong emphasis on Christians. I've posted a version of this dillemma on another thead, but I can't find it now...

Anyway, let's say that, one day, you wake up, turn on the news, and hear this news story. A man named John Chalmers, 32 years old, killed a stranger in cold blood at a local Denny's. John Chalmers was a devout Christian all his life; in addition, he donated to charity, volunteered at the local shelter, and generally led a virtuous life. He has no previous criminal history whatsoever. After killing his victim, he knelt down and prayed until the police arrived.

John claims that he heard a "voice" of God -- well, not an actual voice, but the same kind of feeling that he felt when he prayed, and received revelations from the divine. God has appointed him to kill this stranger, as a service to be performed for the Lord. John did not have the slightest doubt that the message came from God; he described his murder as "an act of divine love".

So... Is John a murderer ? Is he a saint ? Is he crazy ? Should Christians punish him, or praise him ? I'm interested to see how the local Christians would answer this question, and I'm especially interested to see their reasons for their answer.

Spoiler warning: yes, yes, this question is a trick.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Cathar1950 »

Here is a question for Christians. If God told you to kill some one would you? Voice in your head, burning bush, a vision of an angel, or even Jesus?
Now what if God told you to kill all the people in a city because the were evil me women and children. Or how about if god told you to kill you oldest child?

Zeus

Post #12

Post by Zeus »

I have trouble believing that God would have a believer kill another human. In the Old Testament, when God wanted to kill someone, he always did it in some way in which the murderer (who was doing God's will) was allowed to escape. So by being caught, I believe that God's hand was not upon him.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Cathar1950 »

If you read the bible you will find that God sent lying spirits, wanted to kill Moses and was only save by his sister-in-law, and was the cause of all good and evil. If bad things happened it was God doing it due to some imagined sin.

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Post #14

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

Cathar1950 wrote:Here is a question for Christians. If God told you to kill some one would you? Voice in your head, burning bush, a vision of an angel, or even Jesus?
Now what if God told you to kill all the people in a city because the were evil me women and children. Or how about if god told you to kill you oldest child?
id do it
Does the fact that you dont believe in God affect whether one exist or not?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Goat »

john_anthony_gonzalez wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:Here is a question for Christians. If God told you to kill some one would you? Voice in your head, burning bush, a vision of an angel, or even Jesus?
id do it
How would you know it was from god, and not from your own ego and inner self, or from an evil being pretending to be God?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Cathar1950 »

goat wrote:
id do it
How would you know it was from god, and not from your own ego and inner self, or from an evil being pretending to be God?
That is a good question Goat. It seems funny theu would assume it is God telling them.
Maybe we shoould just kill them all because God isn't telling us not to?
It would be God's fault for not being clearer.

Beto

Post #17

Post by Beto »

id do it
May I ask you what would constitute a valid message from God? You would kill someone if a voice in your head told you to?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Cathar1950 »

Beto wrote:
id do it
May I ask you what would constitute a valid message from God? You would kill someone if a voice in your head told you to?
My first thought would be to think the pills were not working.
If your dog tells you to kill someone you look at the dog and in a commanding voice say, "Bad dod!".

LightInADarkWorld

Post #19

Post by LightInADarkWorld »

As a christian I would definitely not kill someone for god, with certain circumstances. Say, for example, G*d was testing my faith by asking me to kill my first born as he did with Abraham then I would follow the directions of my Lord and have confidence that the He would stop me as he did with Abraham. Now if a voice in my head told me to kill a random person I would immediatley see a psyciatrist.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by bernee51 »

LightInADarkWorld wrote:As a christian I would definitely not kill someone for god, with certain circumstances. Say, for example, G*d was testing my faith by asking me to kill my first born as he did with Abraham then I would follow the directions of my Lord and have confidence that the He would stop me as he did with Abraham. Now if a voice in my head told me to kill a random person I would immediatley see a psyciatrist.
How do expect you would be able to tell the differnece between a 'voice in your head' and 'god telling you'?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj