Time-Travel Dilemma

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Your thoughts on the time machine?

Use it, to fix whatever, whenever. No restrictions.
31%
Use it, to only fix events that occurred during your lifetime.
15%
Use it, to only fix events that occurred in the last few years.
4%
Use it, to only fix events that occurred in the last few days/months.
No votes
Use it, only fix stuff that happened in the last 24 hours.
4%
Use it, only fix stuff that happened in the last 24 hours.
4%
Don't use it, find someone you trust, and give it to them.
No votes
Don't use it, burn it.
42%

Total votes: 26

ENIGMA
Sage

Time-Travel Dilemma

Post #1

Post by ENIGMA »

This should be something of a fun and thought-provoking discussion.

Scenario:

You have developed/built/acquired a time-traveling device which allows you to travel to any time in the past, allowing you to change, prevent, or perhaps even try to create a historical event or series of events.

The only major caveat of the use of the time travel device is that you are prohibited from changing history in a manner that prevents you from existing. For example, I could not prevent WWII because both my sets of grandparents only met because of their moving caused by the war. I could, however, potentially prevent the terrorist attack on 9/11, so long as I survive to the present in the new timeline.

Any accidental self-deletion will have unpredictable consequences, ranging from simply becoming "unstuck" from time to causing the universe to implode.

Given this knowledge, would you use the time machine?

If so, when would you try to change? What (if any) restrictions would you place on its use?

If not, would you prevent any others from doing the same?
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Cathar1950 »

it seems to me that if we had tome travel and we were able to use it or if it were possible all of which could be. I am not counting it out in this scenario.
It would be the end of time as we know it or maybe even experience it.
The real question is: is it even possible to travel freely through time? Discarding all of the theories, how much do we even "sort of" know about the nature of time? Is it scalar or vector? Is it predetermined or flowing? Is it constant or variable? Is it possible to break time by changing events (or simply travelling in the first place)?

The more I read about the string theory or watch time travel movies or read fiction books about time travel the more confused I am, and the more intrigued I am.
What if it were all true. It still would end time as we know it as a possible paradox. If one starts messing around in time and two or millions all time would be upset maybe parallel universe would be forced into being. Black holes go backwards. people upsetting others timelines I would go back and time and get me just for the ride. which me in time . All of me in times ..yes that's it all of me! Should I get a me for every hour of my life or just that bad ones.
madness I tell you madness.

jack8256
Student

Post #12

Post by jack8256 »

destroy it. The law of unintended consicuences would take hold. I guess many would think "I could stop WWI-II" Have you any idea what would change, we wouldnt have: the tin, the car(prob), advanced communications, etc. The worlds not perfect and you wont be able to change that

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #13

Post by OnceConvinced »

I couldn't chose any of those options. But I would definitely use it. Probably more for sightseeing than anything... oh and to find out tomorrow's lottery numbers. There is so much danger that even one small decision could have drastic consequences. Imagine even talking to someone, distracting them from the path they were going to take. That may cause a huge chain reaction with devastating effects.

It reminds me of that George Michael's song. "Different Corners"... Turn a different corner and we never would have met.

Just talking to someone could cause something like that to happen.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Cathar1950 »

OnceConvinced wrote:I couldn't chose any of those options. But I would definitely use it. Probably more for sightseeing than anything... oh and to find out tomorrow's lottery numbers. There is so much danger that even one small decision could have drastic consequences. Imagine even talking to someone, distracting them from the path they were going to take. That may cause a huge chain reaction with devastating effects.

It reminds me of that George Michael's song. "Different Corners"... Turn a different corner and we never would have met.

Maybe it already did. :confused2:
Or maybe you talking to somone in the future is going to cause a huge chain reaction. Or not talking to someone. #-o
I just love time travel movies and use to read about time travel all the time. :-k

I have watched everything Netflex has on time travel and look for any all the time. :-s
:blink:
I Even enjoy bad movies. O:)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #15

Post by OnceConvinced »

Cathar1950 wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:I couldn't chose any of those options. But I would definitely use it. Probably more for sightseeing than anything... oh and to find out tomorrow's lottery numbers. There is so much danger that even one small decision could have drastic consequences. Imagine even talking to someone, distracting them from the path they were going to take. That may cause a huge chain reaction with devastating effects.

Or maybe you talking to somone in the future is going to cause a huge chain reaction. Or not talking to someone. #-o
I just love time travel movies and use to read about time travel all the time. :-k

I have watched everything Netflex has on time travel and look for any all the time. :-s
It's a lot of fun discussing time travel and like you I love time travel movies.

You have a point with your comments. Like with the Terminator movies, those who went back in time were actually ensuring their own future, rather than changing it.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Cathar1950 »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Cathar1950 wrote:

It's a lot of fun discussing time travel and like you I love time travel movies.

You have a point with your comments. Like with the Terminator movies, those who went back in time were actually ensuring their own future, rather than changing it.
Including the Terminator sent back to kill the mother of the future leader of the resistance creating themselves. :blink:
Maybe you can only go back in time it you are suppose to go back in time. :-k

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #17

Post by OnceConvinced »

My theory is you could potentially go back in time and change the past, but only unintentionally. (like Marty McFly in "Back to the Future").

I figure it this way. If you go back in time and deliberately change the past, then there will be no need for your future self to go back and make the change, thus nullifying the change that you made.

Of course if you think there would be "alternate time lines", then that theory may not hold water.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Goat »

The only think I would be interested in doing is going back about 14 billion years and start the univrese.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

alexdocherty
Student

Surely

Post #19

Post by alexdocherty »

Surely isn't it is a paradox to change anything in the past to begin with?

If you built a time machine to go back and save your mother from being hit by a car, and you do, then what would your reason be for building the time machine? It would never be built, so how would you have gone back in time?

Unless of course you talk about separate time lines, but I just think that's avoiding the contradiction.

However if I were to move anywhere in time, it would probably be the future. Simply for the fact that I want to see where technology is headed.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by McCulloch »

It is a contradiction. To go implies the future. If you could go to the past, whatever you would do in the past, has already been done.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John