Forgive? No Way!

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

unicorn
Apprentice

Forgive? No Way!

Post #1

Post by unicorn »

God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?

john_anthony_gonzalez
Student

Re: Forgive? No Way!

Post #21

Post by john_anthony_gonzalez »

unicorn wrote:God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?
As Christians we are obligated to forgive other believers who have repented,
We don't have to forgive unbelievers but that doesn't mean we cant.

even if a Christian forgives another their still can be reaping and sewing consequences
ex:
If a man kills my daughter, he will go to jail probably find God and then repent for what he did. Later after he gets out of jail he tells me that he found God and the he asked God for forgiveness and then asks me to forgive him, as a Christian i have to for accept his for forgiveness. But lets say he wants to talk to me about his experience in jail, i can say no way because he killed my daughter and i can tell him i accept his apology but that isn't going to make me his friend.
Does the fact that you dont believe in God affect whether one exist or not?

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #22

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

Ok. i get the little things, like not being somewhere at a certain time. that can be forgiven.
However in the case of your daughter being killed, i would imagine there would be hatred for the man who murdered her. I certainly would have. The man went to jail and 'found god'. That resovles the man of his sins and he goes to heaven. He would then get out of jail, and ask for your forgivness.. which in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter whether you forgive him not.. he still goes to heaven. If you refused to forgive him then you would go to hell.

Conclusion: The man who mudered your daughter goes to heaven, living in eternal bliss, whereas you are eternally tortured for not forgiving him..

Does that make sense?

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Forgive? No Way!

Post #23

Post by Confused »

unicorn wrote:God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?
I can forgive anything done to me, even those done to me as a child. What I could never forgive would be anything done to my children. I don't think it would be my place to forgive one who had wronged others children. But for my own, the torment God would inflict on the person would be nothing compared to what I would do.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Assent
Scholar

Post #24

Post by Assent »

I would probably forgive anyone who asked me to forgive him or her, no matter what he or she has done. Maybe. I can't say for certain, as no one has transgressed against me very seriously so far.

But I would never forget. Oh no.

Never forget.
My arguments are only as true as you will them to be.
Because of the limits of language, we are all wrong.
This signature is as much for my benefit as for yours.

upallnite
Sage

Post #25

Post by upallnite »

Like stated by other, I could not forgive for something not done to me and something done to someone else. I can only forgive for something that was done that effects me.

Forgiveness is not something I throw around lightly. I do not tell someone I forgive them if I don't actually forgive them. If I did then it would cheapen all the times I actually forgive someone.

I could not forgive someone for killing me. Because I would be dead.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Confused »

Assent wrote:I would probably forgive anyone who asked me to forgive him or her, no matter what he or she has done. Maybe. I can't say for certain, as no one has transgressed against me very seriously so far.

But I would never forget. Oh no.

Never forget.
May God (should He exist) save you from ever having to experience such a fate.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

WafflesFTW
Student

Post #27

Post by WafflesFTW »

If christ/god ever even existed, the discussion might actually have some relavence. Shame it doesn't.

Negachrist
Student

Post #28

Post by Negachrist »

I would never forgive anyone who intentionally hurt me.

Because then they would have gotten away with it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by McCulloch »

Negachrist wrote:I would never forgive anyone who intentionally hurt me.

Because then they would have gotten away with it.
Why do you care if they get away with it? I would never allow anyone who intentionally hurt me to influence how I spend the rest of my life. I do not choose to live with anger bitterness and revenge.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Antagonist
Student

Post #30

Post by Antagonist »

I will never forgive mankind for it's general greediness and it's yearn for power. These traits are main causes for the vast majority of the wars fought on this planet.

I would be able to forgive things done to myself, but only if forgiveness is asked and when that person sincerely admits that he/she has wronged me.