Forgive? No Way!

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

unicorn
Apprentice

Forgive? No Way!

Post #1

Post by unicorn »

God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #11

Post by sledheavy »

I think it might be more important to consider the intention, then rather the particular scenario and action.

Determined1
Student

Post #12

Post by Determined1 »

unicorn wrote:Yeah, before accepting Christ I couldn't forgive either. I'm becoming more able to do it with His help (though I don't believe this was a flaw in His creation of us, but more a disease we've allowed ourselves to "catch"). What I'm asking is, after having accepted Him, what would someone not forgive and why? Since it would sort of be a deliberate disobedience to Him, I think it's an interesting question.
Geez, How about 3 years of incest from 9-12? I somehow don't look at my not forgiving (or feeling a need to) as MY disease, and frankly this forgivness crap dang near suceeded in turning me AGAINST christianity, let Christ forgive, he is the only perfect one in my book. #-o

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #13

Post by sledheavy »

Determined1 wrote:
unicorn wrote:Yeah, before accepting Christ I couldn't forgive either. I'm becoming more able to do it with His help (though I don't believe this was a flaw in His creation of us, but more a disease we've allowed ourselves to "catch"). What I'm asking is, after having accepted Him, what would someone not forgive and why? Since it would sort of be a deliberate disobedience to Him, I think it's an interesting question.
Geez, How about 3 years of incest from 9-12? I somehow don't look at my not forgiving (or feeling a need to) as MY disease, and frankly this forgivness crap dang near suceeded in turning me AGAINST christianity, let Christ forgive, he is the only perfect one in my book. #-o
I'm really sorry to hear all that. I think because it's one of the hardest things to do in life we have a lot of reasons to say not to.

I'm going through life trying to get the bad out, and the only way I know how is to talk about it with the people inparticular, no matter how cruel or intollerable they may be.

Forgive when you decide to forgive. But don't let it stay there all your life. Don't let them turn years of hardship into decades.

Determined1
Student

Thank you and blessings!

Post #14

Post by Determined1 »

I'm truly okay with it today, simply because I don't look at it as a curse but as a lesson to help my soul grow, I work w/ child abuse daily, and don't know that I would have the passion to fight and protect others had I not lived this.
Do I believe forgiving is healthy? Yes, but I believe forgetting or reconcilling with dysfunctional family members is deadly and allows the evil to continue.
I also see irls/woman stay in abuse because it's "God's law", and because of this forgiveness clause.
Blessings!

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #15

Post by AClockWorkOrange »

im not sure i can answere this very well, becuase i dont harbor ill will or anger towards anyone.
Ive never been able to hold hatred toward someone else, it isnt my strong suite.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #16

Post by sledheavy »

AClockWorkOrange wrote:im not sure i can answere this very well, becuase i dont harbor ill will or anger towards anyone.
Ive never been able to hold hatred toward someone else, it isnt my strong suite.
lol, well yeah. But I'm sure there's a button on you somewhere that doesn't like to be pushed.

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #17

haha, well of course ive been mad.

I experience my share of anger, as with every other emotion. Like everyone else.

I cannot however extend that anger.

I always try to solve watever problem cuased me to be angery, and if i cannot, i choose to let go. It takes too much energy to hate. And furthermore, i never want to be 'that' person. That hateful person.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #18

Post by sledheavy »

AClockWorkOrange wrote:haha, well of course ive been mad.

I experience my share of anger, as with every other emotion. Like everyone else.

I cannot however extend that anger.

I always try to solve watever problem cuased me to be angery, and if i cannot, i choose to let go. It takes too much energy to hate. And furthermore, i never want to be 'that' person. That hateful person.
Well, you most certainly got me there. I truly envy that ability.

In fact this area seems really grey to me, like I just don't get it, or what I'll find I don't want to hear.

One being the whole, social submitance through anger idea.

Two being a reaction amongst this particular social realm, that makes everyone's interactions unhealthy.

I don't like the catagory I fall in with either. But I give props, because if you're telling the truth you don't fall under either.

AClockWorkOrange
Scholar

Post #19

Anyone can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right
person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose,
and in the right way, that is not easy.
-- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #20

Post by sledheavy »