Forgive? No Way!

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

unicorn
Apprentice

Forgive? No Way!

Post #1

Post by unicorn »

God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Forgive? No Way!

Post #2

Post by Bugmaster »

unicorn wrote:God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?
I don't have the ability to forgive on command. It seems that God missed a key module when he was designing me.

unicorn
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by unicorn »

Yeah, before accepting Christ I couldn't forgive either. I'm becoming more able to do it with His help (though I don't believe this was a flaw in His creation of us, but more a disease we've allowed ourselves to "catch"). What I'm asking is, after having accepted Him, what would someone not forgive and why? Since it would sort of be a deliberate disobedience to Him, I think it's an interesting question.

NGR
Student

Post #4

Post by NGR »

unicorn wrote:Yeah, before accepting Christ I couldn't forgive either. I'm becoming more able to do it with His help (though I don't believe this was a flaw in His creation of us, but more a disease we've allowed ourselves to "catch").
How do people allow themselves to catch this disease?

unicorn
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by unicorn »

NGR: O:) I think you know what I'm talking about. If not, you need to start another thread on the idea of inherited sin, because that's not what this thread is about.

unicorn
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by unicorn »

I don't think I could forgive someone murdering someone I love.

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #7

Post by ENIGMA »

I cannot forgive one who has not wronged me, for such "forgiveness" is but a sham, and an obvious one to any sensible parties concerned.

On the flip side, I cannot help but treat an offer of forgiveness from one whom I have not wronged as anything other than a scam, attempting to make me indebted to them when I have no such debt.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

krazykat

Post #8

Post by krazykat »

unicorn wrote:God commands us to forgive. Who/what would you not forgive and why?
i think that forgiveness is a process. you can tell someone you forgive them, but sometimes it takes time before you feel it "inside". not sure if anyone knows what i am talking about?

unicorn
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by unicorn »

I suppose. But, would "feeling it" be a requirement?

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by spiritletter »

krazykat wrote:
i think that forgiveness is a process. you can tell someone you forgive them, but sometimes it takes time before you feel it "inside". not sure if anyone knows what i am talking about?
I agree. I believe that Christ would have compassion for people who have been so badly hurt they cannot forgive, and that he would not consider them to be "sinners." Some people have been through such terrible things that I would not presume to speak to them about forgiveness. I would then be like Job's friends who inundate him with platitudes, while Job is deep in the process of feeling and letting go. Platitudes and shallow advice can't touch real suffering. Only the person who is suffering can have anything to say about forgiveness.

That said, in my own life -- and I feel comfortable speaking for myself -- forgiveness has helped me let go and grow.

Also, I now understand that you can forgive someone, but you don't have to trust them. Trust and forgiveness are not the same thing. It is possible to forgive the madman who kills children, but we do not have to have the madman in our house. We can forgive the sociopath who has cheated us, but it is not necessary that we have further dealings with him/her.