$1000 from the IRS

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

$1000 from the IRS

Post #1

Post by otseng »

You get a letter in the mail from the IRS. It says you made a mistake on last year's IRS return and you overpaid $1000 and that a refund will be arriving shortly. You are fairly sure that you did not make a mistake since you used a computer program to file the return.

What do you do? (BTW, this actually just happened to me. :o)

Vladd44
Sage

Post #11

Post by Vladd44 »

I would decide what I should do with the money here or here.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Assent
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Assent »

I believe I recall hearing that a study was conducted in which the same set of information was given to several accountancy groups. Each sent back a different number, and each varied widely, sometimes by thousands of dollars. So if professionals who have devoted their adult lives to interpreting tax laws cannot agree, the what hope have you, a computer program (which was, in the end, written by these accounting professionals), or even the IRS itself?

I do agree that caution must win the day, but $1000 in your favor is a pretty nice bit of luck, especially since next time it could easily fall the other way instead.
My arguments are only as true as you will them to be.
Because of the limits of language, we are all wrong.
This signature is as much for my benefit as for yours.