Naturalizing the supernatural

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Derrrpp
Student

Naturalizing the supernatural

Post #1

Post by Derrrpp »

What are the benefits and ramifications of providing a sound explanation for the miracles of the Bible? Assume that some theory at least partially increases the plausibility without increasing the probability, (remind that magic and supernatural has always been associated with trained priests or magicians and not common folk /trigger mechanisms). While it may be wonderful to actually feel the paradigm shift to a more natural tone not everything is rosy. Now you have naturalistic 'data' that can be extrapolated into areas where there is no real divine revelation and blind alleys for false prophets that were merely 'following the data'. Now you have partially explained or still unexplained areas that direct Christians away from the physical embodiment scenario towards the 'new' answers which can only be ascertained by a true second coming. While it might be interesting to join our kin in Judaism alongside the third architect of the Temple it undermines or usurps the Words of Salvation. Worst of all is that the potential is there to inadvertently confirm the actions of the Egyptian priests (sticks to snakes)and hypocritically include sorcery in the explanatory methodology even though that would provide for a separate outside layer of 'evidence' to stand in support of the validity of the miracles as well as the mysteries of Egyptian accomplishment upon which much speculation has been cast.. So can we by the language used separate 'sorcery' without appearing biased to our cause while at the same time controlling the rhetoric around such an answers as Christians responsible for the effects on individual souls for these interpretations...(to much wailing and gnashing of teeth at such control). Is the removal of doubt to those who might benefit worth the undermining risk? Are we charged to proceed anyway based on how we ourselves were brought forth out of the mire..based on the one chance we each have to get in? Should such a thing be made commonly available and by whom?

Tcg
Savant

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

Kevin Cross wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

Ah, the question is how does belief and thinking differ?
That's easy to answer.

From your perspective, you believe you have the right to order me to not think freely.

From my perspective, I am more than happy to allow you the freedom to believe whatever your little heart desires.

Is there some reason your argumentation relies on the repression of free thought?

Kevin Cross
Student

Post #32

Post by Kevin Cross »

[Replying to post 31 by Tcg]

Now...Now, Tcg, I never said you didn't have the right to think for yourself and I am certainly don't mean to judge you. I am explaining what I think about Naturalizing the supernatural and your explaining you don't believe in supernatural forces or Being. I'm not telling you what to think and if I am, you have to prove it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 32 by Kevin Cross]

Now...Now, Kevin...

"Just don't think you're superior to me because of unbelief."

- Kevin Cross

Kevin Cross
Student

Post #34

Post by Kevin Cross »

[Replying to Tcg]

Tell me how I am being superior to you?

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

Kevin Cross wrote: [Replying to Tcg]

Tell me how I am being superior to you?
You asked for proof and I gave it. Your attempt to dodge this fact with a question that doesn't even make sense in light of the context, reveals that you have no interest in an honest conversation.

I have no interest in a dishonest one. Given that is what you have to offer, I'll bid you adieu.

Kevin Cross
Student

Post #36

Post by Kevin Cross »

[Replying to post 35 by Tcg]

I read my responses and I fall to see where I was disrespectful. It seems you were getting upset when I used analogies and metaphors to explain faith in God. Because religion and faith tend to be abstract to most people, it helps to talk about it in terms of daily experience i.e. plays. In terms of black holes. and atoms, etc. I was trying to test your "thinking" about science vs my "faith" in God and the things we cannot see in the physical world just as we cannot experience, in some ways, the spiritual realm. Your little syllogism about because people "need" faith, God is uncertain is not true. It is because of God we have faith, but one has to accept the gift to receive it. Not all people accept faith. Lastly, You totally ignored the scientific quotes that I cited giving evidence of the truth found in the Bible about creation. Therefore, I don't think you proved there is no "naturalizing of the supernatural." Sorry to annoy you! We're done.