So, this is a choice...

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

So, this is a choice...

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

In other words, where does our primary loyalty lie, to ourselves, or to our world?

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Re: So, this is a choice...

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

It would be better to take a job that pays more to us and improves the world. Of course determining which job pays more is easy. Deciding which helps the "world" is so subjective that it is all but impossible to determine. Your description of what you mean by the words "better" and "world" would be an aid in making such a subjective decision.

jgh7

Post #3

Post by jgh7 »

In a general sense, as long as I'm not harming the world I'll take a job that pays more rather than a more philanthropic one. This assumes that both are equally enjoyable.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

2ndRateMind wrote: Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

In other words, where does our primary loyalty lie, to ourselves, or to our world?

Best wishes, 2RM.
It's fantasy if not narcissism to imagine that one can improve the world.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

Wootah wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote: Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

Best wishes, 2RM.
I strongly disagree! The pen is as powerful today as before. Morally, the World has moved forward tremendously! Just check out history for voting rights, for immigration, for aid work, for implementation of human rights into actual legislation etc. However, as with everything else, there are bad writers and there are good writers. It's what you make out of it. Leaving people to Atheism isn't exactly what I intend to do. It is the battle for people's hearts and minds and as before, if you practice what you preach you gain ground with (the right) people! 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Aetixintro wrote:
Wootah wrote:

Best wishes, 2RM.
I strongly disagree! The pen is as powerful today as before. Morally, the World has moved forward tremendously! Just check out history for voting rights, for immigration, for aid work, for implementation of human rights into actual legislation etc. However, as with everything else, there are bad writers and there are good writers. It's what you make out of it. Leaving people to Atheism isn't exactly what I intend to do. It is the battle for people's hearts and minds and as before, if you practice what you preach you gain ground with (the right) people! 8-)
If you want to see recent history Niall Ferguson has a brief history of the 20th century on his youtube channel. It might change your mind a little.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?
'Pends on if I take me the job that pays so much I can help to improve the world and still get me a grab of the pretty thing there.
To myself, as a matter of if I ain't here to help it, I can't help the world.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

imhereforyou
Scholar

Post #8

Post by imhereforyou »

Best wishes, 2RM.
If the job pays more, it could make me happier and that makes my world better.
How it impacts others? Guess it depends on the job. My current job? I don't much care how it impacts others as it's not an important job for the world by any means

Icey
Student

Post #9

Post by Icey »

2ndRateMind wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 am Is it better to take a job that pays more to us, or is it better to take a job that improves the world, but doesn't pay that many $?

Best wishes, 2RM.
It's best to take a job you like and can do well. It's up to you, not the job, to improve the world. If your job does that, great. If not, great, find something that does, if that's what you want.
Otherwise, there's no harm in taking a good paying job that doesn't better the world.
Taking a good paying job that actively harms the world....that's a different can of worms.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2ndRateMind »

So, thanks all, for your various responses. I cannot help but wonder if an act thought to be charitable, is all the more so the less the moral agent is likely to benefit directly. For example, if some member of some cult gives money to support another member of that cult, that might be thought less charitable than giving money to some individual one has never met, probably will never meet, but is in a state of considerable want.

In other words, the less likely one is to benefit, directly or indirectly, from one's charitable activity, the more charitable it is. On the other hand, supporting one's political party (presumably because one can expect to benefit) is not charitable, at all.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost