Abortion due to a complication

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

fonso
Student

Abortion due to a complication

Post #1

Post by fonso »

If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?

I'm undecided. Part of me has learned to value life, that perhaps I would agree for the child to be born, only to be given up to an orphanage or some place similar.... although it wasn't too long ago either that I would have instantantly agreed to an abortion.

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Re: Abortion due to rape

Post #41

Post by FinalEnigma »

Okay, first of all I respect your opinion and your position, Darren, but I must disagree. My opinion is a bit more moderate than yours in this case.

in the case of rape I must agree with you. It is the woman's right to choose whether or not to have the child. To interfere with that, or to mandate that she does carry the child to term, would be (im sorry but) disgusting.

With comlications, also, I agree that abortion is an acceptable choice. If the fetus endanger's the mothers life, then abortion would be the most logical choice. especially in a situation where the mother and fetus both are unlikely to survive.

However, I do not believe that abortion is an acceptable choice in some situations. if a couple does something stupid(like unprotected sex) and the woman happens to get pregnant...then aborting the fetus because it is inconvenient would be, in my opinion, immoral.

Oh, to answer the OP, I would support her in whatever choice she made. Including to the point of raising the child together. I like to think that I am mature enough not to hold the child accountable for something their father has done, and to accept the child for what they are, rather than that of which they are a result.
If he started perfectly, why are there children born with severe defects, such as autism spectrum disorders?
Actually, it is autistic spectrum disorder, rather than [strike]autism spectrum disorder[/strike].

Second, please don't call me defective. I have Asperger's, which is an autistic spectrum disorder. I am a functional human being, and I do not feel that I am defective. I, and im sure some others, would very much appreciate if you could be a little bit more sensitive.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by Darren »

FinalEnigma wrote:in the case of rape I must agree with you. It is the woman's right to choose whether or not to have the child. To interfere with that, or to mandate that she does carry the child to term, would be (im sorry but) disgusting.
Not to mention that it is slavery to tell a woman that she must incubate that fetus.
FinalEnigma wrote:With comlications, also, I agree that abortion is an acceptable choice. If the fetus endanger's the mothers life, then abortion would be the most logical choice. especially in a situation where the mother and fetus both are unlikely to survive.
Glad you are willing to let the mother choose to live. What if she wants to choose to not have a child?
FinalEnigma wrote: However, I do not believe that abortion is an acceptable choice in some situations. if a couple does something stupid(like unprotected sex) and the woman happens to get pregnant...then aborting the fetus because it is inconvenient would be, in my opinion, immoral.
So it would seem that you would force the woman to have it. What if she was an alcoholic who didn't have any plans to change? You in that case have just taken responsibility for her child. When it is born, it will likely have FASD. Good luck raising that child (or were you thinking someone else would?)
FinalEnigma wrote:Oh, to answer the OP, I would support her in whatever choice she made. Including to the point of raising the child together. I like to think that I am mature enough not to hold the child accountable for something their father has done, and to accept the child for what they are, rather than that of which they are a result.
Good choice there. I don't think that being a rapist has been demonstrated to be heritable.
FinalEnigma wrote:
If he started perfectly, why are there children born with severe defects, such as autism spectrum disorders?
Actually, it is autistic spectrum disorder, rather than [strike]autism spectrum disorder[/strike].

Second, please don't call me defective. I have Asperger's, which is an autistic spectrum disorder. I am a functional human being, and I do not feel that I am defective. I, and im sure some others, would very much appreciate if you could be a little bit more sensitive.
I wasn't thinking of Aspies, but more guys like my client who can't speak, read, write, or hold his water.
It is a spectrum of disorders. There are highly functional Aspies (I have suspected that I have this disorder) and at the other end...well, I try to help them enjoy their lives, but really, I think that, given the choice, I would want a child to have more abilities to get satisfaction for themselves.

I certainly didn't mean to call anyone defective, I am sorry it came out that way.

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #43

Post by FinalEnigma »

Darren wrote:
FinalEnigma wrote: However, I do not believe that abortion is an acceptable choice in some situations. if a couple does something stupid(like unprotected sex) and the woman happens to get pregnant...then aborting the fetus because it is inconvenient would be, in my opinion, immoral.
So it would seem that you would force the woman to have it. What if she was an alcoholic who didn't have any plans to change? You in that case have just taken responsibility for her child. When it is born, it will likely have FASD. Good luck raising that child (or were you thinking someone else would?)
FinalEnigma wrote: Personally I dont believe in forcing people to do things. I would not force anyone to carry a child if it was not their wish. I suppose unacceptable was too strong a term. I would quietly diapprove of their choice, but I would not stop them. I do still believe that a woman has the right to her own body.

And anytime that I did force someone to carry a child to term...if they were unable to raise it then yes...I would do it myself.

I wasn't thinking of Aspies, but more guys like my client who can't speak, read, write, or hold his water.
It is a spectrum of disorders. There are highly functional Aspies (I have suspected that I have this disorder) and at the other end...well, I try to help them enjoy their lives, but really, I think that, given the choice, I would want a child to have more abilities to get satisfaction for themselves.

I certainly didn't mean to call anyone defective, I am sorry it came out that way.
Thank you for the civility. now its my turn.
I overreacted, I apologize, I am a bit oversensative about the issue.

I must agree that I would want a child to have more abilities than not. Autistic spectrum disorder does make ones life more difficult than it would have been otherwise, whatever the severity of the disorder.

Darren
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by Darren »

FinalEnigma wrote:
Darren wrote:
FinalEnigma wrote: Personally I dont believe in forcing people to do things. I would not force anyone to carry a child if it was not their wish. I suppose unacceptable was too strong a term. I would quietly diapprove of their choice, but I would not stop them. I do still believe that a woman has the right to her own body.

And anytime that I did force someone to carry a child to term...if they were unable to raise it then yes...I would do it myself.

Thank you for the civility. now its my turn.
I overreacted, I apologize, I am a bit oversensative about the issue.

I must agree that I would want a child to have more abilities than not. Autistic spectrum disorder does make ones life more difficult than it would have been otherwise, whatever the severity of the disorder.
Thank you for being civil. I do have to watch my phrasing, so don't feel bad about calling me (or others!) on it.