Abortion due to a complication

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

fonso
Student

Abortion due to a complication

Post #1

Post by fonso »

If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?

I'm undecided. Part of me has learned to value life, that perhaps I would agree for the child to be born, only to be given up to an orphanage or some place similar.... although it wasn't too long ago either that I would have instantantly agreed to an abortion.

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

Though pro-choice, I usually regard the argument that a woman can do whatever she wants with her body with distaste and disagreement. Here I will have to concede that it applies. If my wife was beaten and raped, and because of this is with child, it should be her decision as the victim of the scenario to make that choice. She would be the one that would have to go through the pain of birthing it. I would support whatever decision she went with.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

fried beef sandwich
Student

Post #3

Post by fried beef sandwich »

Yes.

And that's some complication!

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #4

Post by Angry McFurious »

Pro-choice. (To the point)

atheisthumanist
Student

Abortion due to rape

Post #5

Post by atheisthumanist »

fonso wrote:If your wife was beaten, raped, and was gotten pregnant by a rapist, would you abort the child? Or would you have her give birth?
I would not want to unleash further propensity to violence on humanity by giving birth to a child who shares DNA with a criminal rapist. The other night I watched The Bad Seed where a child is adopted who was the daughter of a serial killer and is a kind loving person but her child is a "bad seed" who kills.

I am antiabortion except in cases of rape and incest for obvious medical and social reasons and to save the life of the mother which to me is a higher calling than allowing the embryonic or fetal tissue to kill the mother.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Amadeus »

I just don't see how one can right a wrong by committing another wrong!

It is not the child's fault that they were conceived, and there are SO MANY people who are longing with all their hearts to adopt a child. Even though it is emotionally painfull, carry the child through to birth so a loving family can take care of him/her.

Besides, isn't it selfish to kill a baby just because it isn't emotionally convenient to give birth to it?

Spongemom
Student

Post #7

Post by Spongemom »

Amadeus wrote:It is not the child's fault that they were conceived, and there are SO MANY people who are longing with all their hearts to adopt a child. Even though it is emotionally painfull, carry the child through to birth so a loving family can take care of him/her.

It's also not the fault of the millions of children already in orphanages that they ended up there. Why not give them the homes, instead of a pea-sized cluster of cells?
Amadeus wrote:Besides, isn't it selfish to kill a baby just because it isn't emotionally convenient to give birth to it?
There's a BIG difference between emotionally inconvenient and emotionally traumatizing.
If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution,
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Amadeus »

You're just a human-sized lump of cells. Can I kill you if you cause me emotional trauma?

Spongemom
Student

Post #9

Post by Spongemom »

Amadeus wrote:You're just a human-sized lump of cells. Can I kill you if you cause me emotional trauma?
With a cerebral cortex, feelings, senses, cognitive ability, all the things a fetus in the first few weeks does not have. So no.
If we are going to teach creation science as an alternative to evolution,
then we should also teach the stork theory as an alternative to biological reproduction.

Corvus
Guru

Post #10

Post by Corvus »

Spongemom, Amadeus, the rules for the Ethical Dilemma forum are a little different to those in the debate forum. Here the purpose is to simply see how people react to different situations. As per the rules, there is no debate of another person's opinion. I recommend this debate be continued in the abortion thread in the right and wrong debate forum so as to give other people a chance to respond to this topic without it deviating into a polarised debate.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.