What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

justme2
Apprentice

Life through the eyes of another

Post #1

Post by justme2 »

Life through the eyes of another
I read comics when I was a boy and TV show’s and moves ever since. I have found myself playing the part of one of the characters and looking at life through their eyes. These experiences have helped me understand life from points of view I had never considered before. Since my memory at my old age is so poor I can watch these shows again and experience the life of another character as if I was that person too.

Have you ever watched an episode of fiction and played the part of one of these characters too or the experience changed you in some way or another?

justme2
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by justme2 »

still asking
while the silence is deafening

justme2
Apprentice

is silence golden?

Post #3

Post by justme2 »

still asking
while the silence is deafening..,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,
I continue to ask, even if it is only an echo of myself

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Re: Life through the eyes of another

Post #4

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 1 by justme2]

No I have no would I wish or need to. My 69 years on this planet have been quite remarkable in many ways. I have been in so many life threatening situations from birth, but survived to tell the tale, more by luck than judgement on my part. I think if my character was featured in a drama, people would claim it wasn't credible.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

Sure books, movies and even real people have changed me.
Fact is you dont know what you dont know so you better find someone or thing that does.

justme2
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by justme2 »

Maybe I wasn’t making my point clear.
When I watch a movie on TV I seem to take to identity of one of the character’s as if it was me or better put, I become him; seeing from his eyes. While doing so I can find moral values and spiritual feelings.
I am sure this is what made plays on stages so popular way back then. Actually; live plays are still popular today.
Last but not leas;, I can watch the same movie and get a different experience from a different character that I didn’t experience the first time around.
:study:

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

William: I think it is a way to help one learn empathy.

Menotu
Sage

Post #8

Post by Menotu »

justme2 wrote: Life through the eyes of another
I read comics when I was a boy and TV show’s and moves ever since. I have found myself playing the part of one of the characters and looking at life through their eyes. These experiences have helped me understand life from points of view I had never considered before. Since my memory at my old age is so poor I can watch these shows again and experience the life of another character as if I was that person too.

Have you ever watched an episode of fiction and played the part of one of these characters too or the experience changed you in some way or another?
Nope
I watched/read/listened to for enjoyment, nothing else.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

justme2 wrote:When I watch a movie on TV I seem to take to identity of one of the character’s as if it was me or better put, I become him; seeing from his eyes.
I do this and very rarely do I find any characters I can empathise with.

About three decisions in, it's usually, nope, I wouldn't do that, because I have been told that's wrong.

Yes, even with protagonists.

In fiction, almost any bold decision is the right one, if done by a character that is painted as a hero, and the story is simply written around making that decision seem right. Every cautious decision is the wrong one if it is the choice of a hero. The situation will play out poorly and the hero will be certain their original instincts were correct. Their emotional snap judgments are never wrong.

In fiction, every bold choice is the wrong one, if made by a villain, and the story will unfold so as to expose their recklessness. Their emotional snap judgments are always wrong and the story will bear that out.

Thinking about actions in terms of the established boundaries of right and wrong can be quite sickening if you like to get into first-person perspective while watching a movie. If a hero does it, everything is justified, and if a villain does it, it is always wrong.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

justme2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:39 pm Life through the eyes of another

Of course it depends on what one's watching or reading. Somethings should be experienced just for fun (it always annoys me when a comedy, for example, tries to tackle an important topic and get serious).
I don't see tv, radio or movies as having that much of an impact on me, personally unless it's a sort of documentary.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!