It is permissible not to help
67%

Total votes: 3

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Enabling

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

If you see a drunk starving on the street, but you know he will use any money you give him to buy booze, should you help him, or not?

The other day I got Popeye's for dinner, and while in line I was accosted by a beggar trying to sell me a box of chicken that someone else had purchased for him.

If they get food, they try to sell it. They don't want food; they want whatever their fix is.

Perhaps not true of all but they certainly exist and where I live they seem to be an increasing majority. Is it right to help them? Is it permissible not to?

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Enabling

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to post 1 by Purple Knight]

I think most are in need of good psychiatry and therefore blocked from common people to help.

You may say it's corruption that has placed them there, sad as it is! I guess we have to endure the situation while working for a better world. I declined to vote.

:study: 8-)
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Menotu
Sage

Post #3

Post by Menotu »

Purple Knight wrote: If you see a drunk starving on the street, but you know he will use any money you give him to buy booze, should you help him, or not?

The other day I got Popeye's for dinner, and while in line I was accosted by a beggar trying to sell me a box of chicken that someone else had purchased for him.

If they get food, they try to sell it. They don't want food; they want whatever their fix is.

Perhaps not true of all but they certainly exist and where I live they seem to be an increasing majority. Is it right to help them? Is it permissible not to?
No one has to say/do anything to help another.
And the reason they may not say/do anything to help is immaterial.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm If you see a drunk starving on the street, but you know he will use any money you give him to buy booze, should you help him, or not?

Where I lived, they had signs at intersections saying something like 'It's OK to say NO' due to the people on the street.
While I'm all for helping those that want to be helped, too many times they either don't want to be helped or are scamming people for quick ca$h.
Only once or twice have I given anything to someone on the street. Not because I'm an uncaring jerk (though I've been accused of that many times) but because I'm not sure what 'help' I'm giving; if I'm attributing to their issues by trying to help.
This goes only for people. Animals I'll help anytime I can.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!