Communion

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Should you accept?

NO! it is the utmost sin for an unbeliever to pretend to accept communion and is blasphemy
38%
Yes. it would be inappropriate to refuse and exremely rude to the couple
6%
Its a matter of personal choise, neither accepting nor refusing is right or wrong.
56%

Total votes: 16

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Communion

Post #1

Post by FinalEnigma »

lets say you're an agnostic(participating in any religious activity's does not bother you because you are open to all religions). you are best man at your friends christian wedding. communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. what should you do?

Iammyaspectofus

Post #11

Post by Iammyaspectofus »

Well I think I would ask a few people around me if it were appropriate for me to accept it and do as if I were in Rome. That is if Rome seems to be ok with it and I would not if the good people didn’t think it okay.

I was at my friend’s ashram, of which I knew nothing about, and the whole room of people started to move around in circle toward the guru so she could bop them all on the head with a feather. Well of course, as I was dragged along with them, I wondered what would be appropriate and I asked two different people as we went along. I was told to go for it and she bopped me with a peacock feather.

I don’t think this has anything to do with ethics of the agnostic, if there is an ideological reason that the agnostic shouldn’t do the ritual then the groom is the moral offender for not telling him. I don’t think the agnostic’s god/God, whichever the case may be, would really care either way. Or have I missed something?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Furrowed Brow »

I would not accept communion. I'd gag.

Likewise when in church which is not often(weddings/funerals etc) I do not pretend to pray, or bow my head. I don't sing hymns either. But that is more to do with being tone deaf.

Should I even be in the church? Well it does not bother me. I often like the history and architecture; and I don't mind observing religious ceremonies. If someone was offended by me being there then depending on the occasion I'd probably go and stand outside.

Recently I was at a dinner party. The hosts are committed christians and said grace. In fact the whole table were from the same church. I don't think they realised I was an atheist.

Anyway I kept quiet. I had no problems doing this, I did not feel awkward for myself. As I have never sat at a table before where somebody has said grace I found the experience novel and slightly odd.

WafflesFTW
Student

Post #13

Post by WafflesFTW »

It wouldn't matter either way. As an agnostic, you could eat that shred of worthless bread and then scoff at the fairy tale afterwards.

Catharsis

Post #14

Post by Catharsis »

>>>lets say you're an agnostic(participating in any religious activity's does not bother you because you are open to all religions). you are best man at your friends christian wedding. communion is offered to the wedding party and anyone who wants to come up and accept it. what should you do?<<<

Communion in the Orthodox Church is reserved for Orthodox Christians. If you're agnostic, atheist, etc., that is if you're not Orthodox, you will not be offered communion at all. You can of course go to a church, observe the liturgy, but you will not be permitted to take communion.

WafflesFTW
Student

Post #15

Post by WafflesFTW »

The bread tastes bad anyways. I wonder where they get it from. Costco perhaps?

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Bio-logical »

I have been in this situation many times and I believe it depends on the beliefs of the congregation. In a Catholic Church the parishioners believe that the wine and bread is actually the blood and body of Christ respectively no matter what the beliefs of the person partaking. They find it extremely inappropriate and disrespectful for any individual to partake who is not only a Christian, but a Catholic. In that situation it would be disrespectful to those around you and you should not.

Lutherans, on the other hand, believe that it is the faith of the person that causes the switch from wine to blood and bread to flesh, so in that situation by partaking you are, in their eyes and yours, only eating bread and drinking wine. It does once again depend on the parishioners, but it is more acceptable in this situation than in a Catholic church.

I underwent RCIA a few years ago before my wedding because my wife is Catholic and I was seeking faith. On a side note not all who seek God will find him, and after realizing that what I was doing was just a show for her family in getting confirmed I am now an atheist. I am not 'out of the closet' so to speak about my atheism with her family so when I attend mass with them for holidays I do partake in communion, to uphold appearances and avoid drama - particularly with her grandparents. When I attend with my wife only, which is rare, I do not partake.

Blade Runner

Post #17

Post by Blade Runner »

It is pretty clearly outlined in 1st Corinthians how the communion is supposed to be carried out. So what should take place in a wedding scenario, or any situation were communion is being taken, that non believers or those who do not believe should abstain from the supper. To a non believer, non of this should matter, but it should not have been offered in the first place. I would be offended if someone posed as a believer and took the supper, I would consider it polite to abstain as it would show a respect for another person's beliefs.

I have abstained from communion several times, the most notable was at a family members Catholic Church. It would not have been right or respectful for a non Catholic to participate as something like this should be taken as seriously as the person who you are honoring with your presence.