Business ethics

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

LGHOOG

Business ethics

Post #1

Post by LGHOOG »

I have operated a small business for many years in a profession with a very limited market. My main competitor (also a small business, but larger then me) has been a real problem. They have lied about me and my business, and will aggressively say or do anything to get a contract. I talked to them twice about this, but was met with hostility. I have consulted my attorney many times, he advises me to avoid contact or conflict (as they never put anything incriminating in writing). Despite this, I have a healthy business and hope to retire sometime soon.

It has come to my attention that they have willfully submitted fraudulent documents to the state! This is a huge deal to the state! Most likely they will be shut down (and their employees laid off), plus a large fine and possibly jail time.

A good part of me wants to report them to the state. Another part of me says that I have a good number of loyal clients and have no desire for their clients, nor do I wish to see their employees suffer.

As they have few competitors, there would be little doubt who reported them. Likely, they, and some of their loyal clients will come after me with a vengeance, possibly forcing me into retirement.

(As an aside, I am Christian, my competitor also claims to be Christian.)

So, do I report a serious violation of state law and possibly suffer consequences, or to I just let it pass, shimmying off in a few years to retirement in peace?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Business ethics

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to LGHOOG in post #1]

That's quite a dilemma you are facing. An important aspect in making this decision would the possible impact of others if you don't report the fraud. You mention that employees may lose their jobs if you do report it and that you may suffer as well, but what could be the negative impact to others if you don't report it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

LGHOOG

Re: Business ethics

Post #3

Post by LGHOOG »

There really wouldn't be anything negative to others if I don't report them.

They are falsely using state credentials.

Yet, the law is the law (they wouldn't bat an eyelash to report me).

(My gut feeling is to ignore and retire in peace.)