Miscarrying over and over and over again

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Miscarrying over and over and over again

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

If you're a woman that has been told that, for whatever medical reason, you won't be able to carry a baby to term, would you continue to try?
For discussion:
Should trying and constantly miscarrying be seen as murder?
If you've been told there's no way for you to carry a baby to term, the baby dies at a certain point. Is this the same as murder?
Why or why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Miscarrying over and over and over again

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm If you're a woman that has been told that, for whatever medical reason, you won't be able to carry a baby to term, would you continue to try?
For discussion:
Should trying and constantly miscarrying be seen as murder?
Absolutely! And because god supposedly has the power to prevent such deaths but chooses not to he'd be the murder.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm Should trying and constantly miscarrying be seen as murder?
If you believe the embryo has full rights, then it should be seen exactly the same as driving a schoolbus while drunk. Negligence in the extreme.

But now consider the miracle child that, against all odds, pops out of this mother fully formed, full term. She wanted him, he wanted to live. I call it murder to get between them and tell her she can't try.

This is one of the reasons I cannot justify the position that an embryo has full human rights.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:13 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:57 pm Should trying and constantly miscarrying be seen as murder?
If you believe the embryo has full rights, then it should be seen exactly the same as driving a schoolbus while drunk. Negligence in the extreme.

But now consider the miracle child that, against all odds, pops out of this mother fully formed, full term. She wanted him, he wanted to live. I call it murder to get between them and tell her she can't try.

This is one of the reasons I cannot justify the position that an embryo has full human rights.
What do you mean in the bolded section above? Get in between them? Try what?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:13 amWhat do you mean in the bolded section above? Get in between them? Try what?
Getting between the mother and the miracle kid that pops out alive when everybody told her she couldn't achieve that. Medicine is not an exact science and sometimes unlikely things like this happen. Not only does the mother have a right to try, but the child that somehow survived also has a right to live, even if he isn't born yet. Killing him by telling the mother she can't keep trying is the same as offing him with a time machine.

I can reconcile this if only the freeliving have rights. Miracle boy has rights because he becomes freeliving without imposing on his mother's uterus, because she was willing to have him there. And you can define people who are on life support as freeliving if you want to, as long as they're not stealing the items they need to survive. As silly as the scenario is, if I build a life support machine simply because I want one, and I wake up tomorrow to find the thing occupied, I think I have every right to pull the plug.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:20 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:13 amWhat do you mean in the bolded section above? Get in between them? Try what?
Getting between the mother and the miracle kid that pops out alive when everybody told her she couldn't achieve that. Medicine is not an exact science and sometimes unlikely things like this happen. Not only does the mother have a right to try, but the child that somehow survived also has a right to live, even if he isn't born yet. Killing him by telling the mother she can't keep trying is the same as offing him with a time machine.
Thanks for the clarification. I wonder, though, if the mother's right to keep trying, with the possibility of dying children (miscarrying) trumps the rights of those unborn children?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:06 amThanks for the clarification. I wonder, though, if the mother's right to keep trying, with the possibility of dying children (miscarrying) trumps the rights of those unborn children?
I don't think so, logically speaking because every life that is produced is one that must die.

Practically speaking it's because we have to care about those that can live, rather than those that can't. If you believe in evolution, think of how many billions upon trillions of animals and even people, with detrimental or even fatal mutations had to die or even suffer horribly then die, just to make you.

I'm not saying you should feel guilty. I'm not even saying you should "appreciate" those that fell by the wayside out of necessity for such a process to occur.

I'm saying there's a certain way we have to value life, accounting for that. If we value the unborn that couldn't live, we end up concluding that really, nobody should be here because it's all built on the back of this massive atrocity where suffering and death in the untold pays for each single, tiny step forward.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

Of course it's not murder.
Defects in baby or mother are just nature and bad luck. It is tragic and heartbreaking for any lady to endure such problems. It is the best opportunity to get close to God and pray deeply. He listens to our cries.

However, medical advances are great. I have a friend who miscarried many times, even gave birth to a dead baby. Yet she stayed hopeful and sought help and went on to have two beautiful boys. They are all grown up now.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 amOf course it's not murder.
Why? Is it something like self-defense? Or justifiable homicide? Or should it not be considered depraved indifference that God merely "allows" the death, despite being omniscient and omnipotent?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.