Put a dent in a car

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Put a dent in a car

Post #1

Post by otseng »

You parked your car in a parking lot and as you are getting out, you pushed your door a little bit too hard. It bangs against the car next to you, which is a brand new black Mercedes. Upon closer inspection, you see you put a small dent in the Mercedes. You look around, but see no other people. What do you do?

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

It depends. If I could afford to pay for the damage, I would leave a note and calling card on their windscreen. Otherwise, I would drive away, since someone with a new Mercedes will, more than likely, have the money to repair it.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

I would probably drive away without comment. I have numerous dings in the door of my car that, while unsightly, do not affect its performance as a car. I think we enter into a kind of agreement about what kinds of risks we take by taking our cars out of our garages. I don't mean outright ramming of another person's vehicle, and I don't go around dinging people's cars for some cheap thrill. But it could be seen as what the insurance companies might call "normal wear and tear", to expect that if you use your car it might eventually look like a used car. I suppose that in this scenario I would be playing the part of the random event, just as I would expect someone else would play the random event on my car.