You pay with a ten, but get change for a twenty.

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

mrmufin
Scholar

You pay with a ten, but get change for a twenty.

Post #1

Post by mrmufin »

Here's the situation. You and your friend Roxy are both strapped for cash, but are having lunch together at the cafe. Three days ago she loaned you ten dollars, and she just asked if you were able to pay her back. Being pretty much broke, you told Roxy, "Sorry, babe. I'm still kinda tapped out."

The food and service are both very good at this cafe, as are the prices. The waitress brings you the check and it's for $8.87. You give the waitress your last ten dollar bill, but she brings you $11.13 in change. Are you going to point out the error to the waitress?

Regards,
mrmufin

ECB

Post #31

Post by ECB »

Funny how people would never say a word
about getting TO MUCH change back.
But if they were SHORT CHANGED, then let the gloves fly. :shock:
From my point of view; if you didn’t earn it, you don’t deserve it.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #32

Post by McCulloch »

If you did the right thing and set things straight, how would you feel? Would you feel good about yourself for not taking advantage of another's error? Worth the ten bucks, I'd say.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ECB

Post #33

Post by ECB »

McCulloch wrote:If you did the right thing and set things straight, how would you feel?
Like I didn't scew anybody over.
McCulloch wrote: Would you feel good about yourself for not taking advantage of another's error? Worth the ten bucks, I'd say.

ECB

Post #34

Post by ECB »

McCulloch wrote:If you did the right thing and set things straight, how would you feel? Would you feel good about yourself for not taking advantage of another's error? Worth the ten bucks, I'd say.
I'm not sure of the specific emotion I would experience in doing
the RIGHT thing. I know it wouldn't be a negative emotion.
But it woudn't be a big deal, so the intensity of the emotion would
be low.

captaincaustic
Student

Post #35

Post by captaincaustic »

To me this question is a no-brainer. I would tell the waitress because, although she made the mistake, it is still dishonest and greedy to not say anything. If greed is the root of all evil, then you have committed an evil act by keeping the money.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #36

Post by Vladd44 »

What about coming back, just getting something to drink, pay with the ten and hope for the best again?

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Sleepy
Apprentice

Post #37

Post by Sleepy »

Had a similar thing happen to me at the ATM

I withdrew £20 in £10 notes and folded between the two notes was a £5 note. It had clearly been a stacking error rather than a computer error.

I went back into the bank and tried to give them the £5 back explaining what had happened. The person behind the counter was amazed but called the senior staff member on at the time to ask what to do. The manager came and informed me that there was nothing he could do and that he could not take the money.

I was amazed that the bank wouldnt take their own money back.

I have stayed with the bank and gave the £5 to charity.

topaz
Apprentice

Re: You pay with a ten, but get change for a twenty.

Post #38

Post by topaz »

mrmufin wrote: Here's the situation. You and your friend Roxy are both strapped for cash, but are having lunch together at the cafe. Three days ago she loaned you ten dollars, and she just asked if you were able to pay her back. Being pretty much broke, you told Roxy, "Sorry, babe. I'm still kinda tapped out."

The food and service are both very good at this cafe, as are the prices. The waitress brings you the check and it's for $8.87. You give the waitress your last ten dollar bill, but she brings you $11.13 in change. Are you going to point out the error to the waitress?

Regards,
mrmufin
Yes, I would definitely point out the error to the waitress. I have no doubt this is a test of my integrity before God where satan is the accuser. I know that satan is right there waiting to accuse me before God. Then, God would be very disappointed with me for failing to live up to His teachings on integrity and honesty. Remember Job ?

So I will not give satan the chance to tempt me to sin. I would not want to be dishonest also b/c I hate to be part of his kingdom of darkness. I would not do anything against God’s Law that would make me unrighteous and earn God’s curse.

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #39

Post by methylatedghosts »

Maybe the waitress overheard you talking to Roxy, and saying you couldn't pay her back the $10. She might have taken the extra $10 from her own pocket to help out. Then before you know, she's gone, you were her last customer and she goes home

What then?

(sorry if this has already been asked - didn't read thread)
Ye are Gods

Jester
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by Jester »

Sleepy wrote:I have stayed with the bank and gave the £5 to charity.
Good call! I've heard quite a few times lately that the lord only blesses us that we might be a blessing to someone else. That's an excellent example of blessing not only a charity, but the workers in the bank.