test

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

TQWcS
Scholar

test

Post #1

Post by TQWcS »

Say you are taking a college final exam in calculus or Stat or something like that and you need to do well on this to pass the class. You get it back and a question that is worth a large chunk of your grade is marked correct but in fact it is wrong. What would you do in this situation?

proverbial student
Student

Post #2

Post by proverbial student »

I would tell the teacher. However, it's funny you ask because I was in the opposite situation and I had to prove how I was correct and he was wrong. Once I did, he warned me not to tell anyone else. Should I have?
I respected the teacher, but it didn't seem fair to me.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: test

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

TQWcS wrote:Say you are taking a college final exam in calculus or Stat or something like that and you need to do well on this to pass the class. You get it back and a question that is worth a large chunk of your grade is marked correct but in fact it is wrong. What would you do in this situation?
I would let this slide. There are so few situations where the ball bounces your way that I would chalk this up to statistical improbability. I am not my own test grader, and many grades are arbitrary, subjective measures anyway.

It is quite likely that whoever graded this question also graded the answers of others incorrectly. How would their grades be affected if I pointed this out to the grader? It's highly likely that their scores would not be changed, since we all got them back -- unless it's a ScanTron test, in which case the odds might be more in favor of global re-grading. In this case, the question would most likely be either thrown out or else given to everyone as an average, neither of which would be more fair than what actually happened.

Regardless, the onus is on the grader, and I figure that if I realize what the actual answer is, and there is this circumstance about it, I will probably always remember the correct answer to the question for the rest of my life -- which really is the whole goal of schooling, isn't it?

turtleguy
Student

Post #4

Post by turtleguy »

it depends, if i would fail or not. if i had a good grade i would just forget about it but if it made me fail i would go and talk with the teacher.
Last edited by turtleguy on Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #5

Post by TQWcS »

How does it seem fair to you. If everyone did this it would lead to grade inflation and that wouldn't be fair to the person that really worked hard for his grade.

Llama King

Post #6

Post by Llama King »

proverbial student wrote:I would tell the teacher. However, it's funny you ask because I was in the opposite situation and I had to prove how I was correct and he was wrong. Once I did, he warned me not to tell anyone else. Should I have?
Well it makes me wonder. I think that i would have checked with friends in class to see it they got the same one wrong but had the correct answer. If they did get it right but it was marked wrong i would lay subtle hints that they were right and should look into it. Sure it is undermining what the teacher said but it is not fair that his error hurt the grades of the students. it is too bad that the teacher could not admit that he was wrong.
Sparticus
459-89-8972
ll l l ll l l l llll l l l ll

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #7

Post by nikolayevich »

Llama King wrote:
proverbial student wrote:I would tell the teacher. However, it's funny you ask because I was in the opposite situation and I had to prove how I was correct and he was wrong. Once I did, he warned me not to tell anyone else. Should I have?
Well it makes me wonder. I think that i would have checked with friends in class to see it they got the same one wrong but had the correct answer. If they did get it right but it was marked wrong i would lay subtle hints that they were right and should look into it. Sure it is undermining what the teacher said but it is not fair that his error hurt the grades of the students. it is too bad that the teacher could not admit that he was wrong.
Both situations- the one of the student receiving an undeserved mark, and the one of the teacher correcting for the one and not others makes me remember... The instruction I have been most impacted by was that at the hands of those who were able to admit when they learned they were A) incorrect, or B) ignorant in the sense that they would refuse to give a weighty answer for something they were not sure of. Since the same ethics should apply likewise to students, it makes me wonder if perhaps we would most respect the student who could also admit their faults or ignorance. I think in the grand scheme of things we would, save, as I think st88 points out, where it detrimentally affects other students. The respect would be lost in that case. But then, life isn't about the respect one gains. A student who cares about her education is a student with much to lose. A student with much to lose, makes a personal sacrifice to give up the chance to skip ahead (in the grander scheme of things). The simple response is to say she's crazy. She benefits no one, herself or others. That is the challenge of it all.

RevJP
Scholar

Post #8

Post by RevJP »

Simple answer. I would tell the professor.

Scottey

Post #9

Post by Scottey »

I agree with RevJP. The bible commands us not to be liars and certainly not to be deceitful. So I would tell the professor. I have actually had similar situations to this and told the truth. In every case I have been given the credit anyways.

God Bless,
Scottey

Bio-logical
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Bio-logical »

Scottey wrote:I agree with RevJP. The bible commands us not to be liars and certainly not to be deceitful. So I would tell the professor. I have actually had similar situations to this and told the truth. In every case I have been given the credit anyways.

God Bless,
Scottey
really? I always wonder how the first place a person goes is "the bible tells us". I personally would not tell the professor in most cases since most professors I have ever had employed the policy that each person must own their own mistakes and if hey misgrade you in your favor, consider it a blessing since they are just as likely to misgrade you to your detriment without you realizing it. My wife is a teacher and she understands that just as learning the material is what the students are responsible for, she is in charge of grading and she would downgrade students for their mistakes, therefore when she makes one the students are essentially downgrading her for her mistake.

As to the earlier comment about grade inflation by a different poster, can I ask what you think grades actually show? I can tell you with only minor ego that I was one of the smartest people (top 1% of top 1%) of my age in my entire town of 100,000 people according to standardized tests, I know because the schools pulled me into meeting about creating a new charter school for extremely gifted students and identified why we were there. Of the 7 students in that room, 2 went to Harvard, 2 to other Ivy leagues, 1 dropped out of high school, 1 graduated high school and ended up waiting tables for the last 6 years and I went to a local college and got a Biology degree with which I am currently doing absolutely nothing. According to the tests, we were the best of the best, and the numbers showed it. None of us who took our ACT's got less than a 32, we set the curve on every test we ever took and we gained the admiration and respect of our teachers and peers alike. Some of us, however, were not motivated to do the extra work involved with getting grades. We were not interested in brilliant careers and recognition. I just want to be a dad, Mark just wanted to work on cars and Chris just wanted to... well smoke a lot of weed. Mark dropped out, Chris fell of the wagon, but the thing the three of us had in common was that our GPA's were never higher than a 2.7 in high school - not too low because our test scores kept us passing, never higher because we didn't do any homework.

I guess what I am getting at is that your grades are representative not of your intelligence or aptitude, but of your work ethic and in such you can take adavatage of the professor not having the work ethic to double check themselves.