Warrior Psalms

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Is it okay to acknowledge the christian tradition of violence against one's enemies in the face of "turn the other cheek" sensibilities?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

ICE

Warrior Psalms

Post #1

Post by ICE »

Hello,

I am doing some research and I stumbled across this forum.... thought it might be a good place to discuss the following:

My company recently published a book entitled "Warrior Psalms" for a friend. The book is a collection of Christian Psalms meant to comfort, empower and guide those that personally or professionally are dealing with issues surrounding the justified use of force. The collection features Psalms that encourage, endorse or in other ways validate justified use of force.

What issues, if any, exist for the Christian Community around these issues? Are these Psalms and their guidance a "dirty secret" or something to be celebrated?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Warrior Psalms

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Firstly realize that the debates and discussions on this site are not restricted to just the Christian Community.

Perhaps you could provide a bit of background about this situation. Is your company your company in the sense that you own and operate it or is it simply the company that you work for? Is your company a publishing company that normally publishes religious works or is this job out of the ordinary?

The Christian community historically and sociologically has for a long time been spread across the spectrum on the issue of the use of force. At one end the crusaders and conquistadors who seemed to justify the use of aggressive force in the furtherance of the faith. Somewhat less extreme, Augustine outlined principles of just war. And on the other extreme, there are passivist sects which to the most part reject the use of force and violence.
Matthew 5:38-49 wrote:You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?
Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
I, for one, do not understand those who claim to be the followers of the man who said this, who can justify the use of violent force.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ICE

Post #3

Post by ICE »

McCulloch,

THanks for taking the time to respond.

I am the owner of the publishing company and we do not normally deal in specifically religious works.

I find your last sentence to be very interesting. I take it for granted that there are justified uses of force (defensive, for example), regardless of what religious beliefs one has.

-RJP

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

ICE wrote:I take it for granted that there are justified uses of force (defensive, for example).
I agree with you and disagree with Jesus on this issue.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John