Marriage of opposittes

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Bekki659
Student

Marriage of opposittes

Post #1

Post by Bekki659 »

If your son married a person who was quite different from your family... how would you handle the following instances? In this situation, you absolutely love the girl, but just had some concerns about her beliefs:

1) She is only a loose christian. She wants to attend services, but it might not be at a traditional church.
2) Are you worried that she'll make him leave the "good christian path"?

If you were the girl who was marring the son:

How would you deal with the fact that you believe in Evolution, and he believes in Creation? Its a big deal to both of you, but you can tolerate each other. Its his parents that worry you... they are STRONG believers in Creation... to the point it makes your blood boil when they talk about it in front of you. Do you let your kids decide for themselves?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Marriage of opposittes

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Bekki659 wrote:If your son married a person who was quite different from your family... how would you handle the following instances? In this situation, you absolutely love the girl, but just had some concerns about her beliefs:

1) She is only a loose christian. She wants to attend services, but it might not be at a traditional church.

How would you deal with the fact that you believe in Evolution, and he believes in Creation? Its a big deal to both of you, but you can tolerate each other. Its his parents that worry you... they are STRONG believers in Creation... to the point it makes your blood boil when they talk about it in front of you. Do you let your kids decide for themselves?
When push comes to shove, your kids have to decide for themselves no matter what. I would merely point out that while opposites attract, it is people that have similarities that make a successful marriage.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Bekki659 wrote:If your son married a person who was quite different from your family... how would you handle the following instances? In this situation, you absolutely love the girl, but just had some concerns about her beliefs:

In order to address the issue from my point of view, I would have to turn it around.
Anti-Bekki wrote:If your son married a person who was quite different from your family... how would you handle the following instances? In this situation, you absolutely love the girl, but just had some concerns about her beliefs:
  1. She is a Christian. She wants attends worship services at a traditional church.
  2. Are you worried that she'll make him join the "good christian path"?
I, for one, would be very happy if my son were ever to be capable of the depth of relationship that could possibly lead to marriage. Alas, I fear that it is not possible.

So long as the sect was not an extreme one and that their relationship seemed genuine, I would not object.
Bekki659 wrote:If you were the girl who was marring the son:

How would you deal with the fact that you believe in Evolution, and he believes in Creation? Its a big deal to both of you, but you can tolerate each other. Its his parents that worry you... they are STRONG believers in Creation... to the point it makes your blood boil when they talk about it in front of you.
Freudian slip :lol: I think you mean marrying not marring. Or not. :lol:

Of course. We let our adult offspring decide for themselves. They are not children anymore. My mother-in-law is a strong believer. My father-in-law is a Presbyterian church elder. We get along well.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bekki659
Student

Post #4

Post by Bekki659 »

Ha, whoops, you're right. I would marry him, not damage him :lol:

Thanks for the input guys :]

By now you have probably figured out that this isn't such a hypothetical situation... so I would really appreciate the input of a few really strict Christians.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Bekki659 wrote:Ha, whoops, you're right. I would marry him, not damage him :lol:

Thanks for the input guys :]

By now you have probably figured out that this isn't such a hypothetical situation... so I would really appreciate the input of a few really strict Christians.
I would suggest you disregard input from 'really strict Christians'. I would dare say their response would not be supportive, but would serve to condemn the nonbeliever. If two folks want to get married, then there is very little legitimate reason to try to stop them. If they are so in love they are thinking marriage, how could you talk 'sense' into them? The best you could hope for would be that the best would come to them.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Bekki659
Student

Post #6

Post by Bekki659 »

True.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #7

Post by OnceConvinced »

What right, really, does a parent have to tell you who or who you shouldn't marry? I met my current partner before I deconverted from Christianity and my mother's reaction when she found out she wasn't a Christian was "Why don't you find a nice Christian girl?" Really that just riled me up. (Hell she had stronger morals than my Christian ex-wife!). I can't recall what I said, but a few years earlier I had come to realise that a lot of my mother's opinions were full of ignorance and intolerance and I wasn't going to take it any more. Some times you just have to make a stand and do what's right for you.

She's come to accept her now, but still, the audacity to actually say something like that... (It was like that with my non-Christian friends to as a kid... "why don't you get yourself a decent friend" :roll: )

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Bekki659
Student

Post #8

Post by Bekki659 »

Oh my... thats terrible.

His parents adore me. In fact right now his dad and him are out putting my stuff on a truck at 11:15 at night so it cane be brought down to me.

I just wonder what its going to be like if we have kids? But like previously said, It really is up to them, when they get to be old enough.

Matt Bentley

Post #9

Post by Matt Bentley »

Situacion 1: I'm not a Christian but in a far off fantasy world.. I'd be concerned i guess because she may hurt his salvation if she leads him a life away from Christ and the girl also may have a negative influence on his lifestyle. I would encourage my son to help her get right with God and go to counseling. Not sure if theres much more i can do then that.

Hmm.. The second ones kind of tricky. I don't know if i'd get with a creationist if there parents were that way. I guess i'd just bite my tounge around his parents to avoid saying something rude to them if i loved the guy enough. I'm definatly not gonna let something as minor as that ruin a good relationship, so i'd try to avoid seeing the parents as much as i can and continue being with the guy.