Morality of Suicide

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

Andre_5772
Student

Morality of Suicide

Post #1

Post by Andre_5772 »

For quite some time, I have been of the opinion that suicide is always immoral. This intuition arises out of my awe at how complicated and delicate the human body is, yet how elegantly all these systems work together, for the most part.

However I read something the other day which was to the effect of, "Life is for learning and growing, not for suffering through." I have to admit that this makes a lot of sense to me, too. But this leads to the possibility that at times suicide is justified. Specifically, when one can reasonably expect an excess of suffering in the future, and this condition will prevent any significant growth as a person, contribution to society, or whatever that person finds meaningful.

When I thought about this further, I realized that I probably wouldn't begrudge someone who committed suicide, provided they had rationally come to the conclusion that these criteria were satisfied. While I would never advise suicide, I think my view has changed to the point where I can accept it in certain circumstances without condemning it. I'm wondering what others think about the morality of suicide. Is it on par with murder because it ends a human life? Or is it a different act because rational beings are free to choose death for themselves although not for others?

Mister E
Student

Post #51

Post by Mister E »

saitohaj wrote:Personally I fell suicide is just a selfish act.
As is almost everything.

ravenssong
Student

Post #52

Post by ravenssong »

saitohaj wrote:Personally I fell suicide is just a selfish act.
technically living is a selfish act, I mean things things have to die to sustain you, right? Isn't it selfish to assume you are more worthy of life than a carrot or a cow?

spiritletter
Apprentice

suicide and suffering

Post #53

Post by spiritletter »

I will not have the ability to answer this question unless I become very ill. I don't think we can judge, for example, somebody who is in extreme pain from a wasting disease unless we have the knowledge they have.

Suicide is one of those things that is more important to theologians of the church who came long after Christ.

Mere_Christian
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by Mere_Christian »

joeyknuccione wrote:I hope I would have control over my own end. I would rather be dead than be hooked up to some machine with no hope for recovery.
When does the will to survive give up hope?

It seems the answer is in all of those machines hooked up to so many people.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Mere_Christian wrote: When does the will to survive give up hope?
Right after saying, "I do." :)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Goat »

Mere_Christian wrote:
joeyknuccione wrote:I hope I would have control over my own end. I would rather be dead than be hooked up to some machine with no hope for recovery.

It seems to me that often those machines are hooked up to people on behalf of their family, and not due to the wishes of the ones that are not hooked up to the machines.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by spiritletter »

goat wrote:
Mere_Christian wrote:

It seems to me that often those machines are hooked up to people on behalf of their family, and not due to the wishes of the ones that are not hooked up to the machines.
There were no such machines in Christ's time. People just died, and perhaps more mercifully.

Using Bill Frist's Schiavo feeding tube logic, it could just as easily be argued that machines went against scripture because they were created to help people live longer than their allotted time. It's all twaddle, of course, both arguments.

It seems that compassion would be the mediating factor in whether or not to remove life sustaining machinery. Most of the reaction against this has nothing to do with compassion at all.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Did Jesus suicide.

Post #58

Post by Greatest I Am »

ChristianGuy wrote:
I find it hard to believe, however, that any true Christian would want to commit suicide.

I did not read all the posts but did have a question for you.

God sent Jesus to die. Is that murder or suicide?

Did Jesus suicide?

Jesus waited for the soldiers to pick him up on that fateful day.
He could have walked away and did not.
I call that suicide.

Is it?

Regards
DL
God is a cosmic consciousness.
Telepathy the key.

bobroonie
Student

Post #59

Post by bobroonie »

Hypothetically if the Jesus and god story are true.

God tells Jesus he is to act and teach a certain way and because of this he will be put to death.

So living in the time and under the Roman control, Jesus had to have known that there was a good possibility he would not only die but die by crucifixion.

Was it suicide.

I can't see it that way. Jesus was killed by the Romans, and this was not a case of suicide by police shooting.

It would be like if a priest was killed in the ghetto while handing out bibles. Stupid idea? Yes, but he was still murdered.

flitzerbiest
Sage

Post #60

Post by flitzerbiest »

I think that it suffices to say that suicide is tragic.

As for morality, it is relatively easy to concoct hypothetical suicides which seem moral, amoral and immoral.