Tips on how to remain civil while debating

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Tips on how to remain civil while debating

Post #1

Post by otseng »

The overriding principles of this forum are respect and civility. Discussions are most productive and meaningful if all participants respect others and maintain a civil attitude.

I would like to offer a few tips on how to remain civil while debating:

If someone posts something inflammatory or attacks you, the best response is to report the post to a moderator and ignore it. Do not attack back.

If you do have the need to respond to an attack, take it offline. Send the poster a PM and work out the differences between yourselves.

Do not make any negative comments about a poster or a post. For example, do not say, "Your post demonstrates your total lack of understanding on the subject matter." However, you can say, "You have failed to consider this piece of information..." Do not say, "That is the most ludicrous post I've ever read." However, it is acceptable to say, "From my research on this topic, your viewpoint has some discrepancies with the evidence at hand."

It is advisable not to appear to be too dogmatic about a matter. When you present yourself with an open mind and willing to consider the opposite viewpoint, you will gain a receptive ear to your viewpoints.

Aim to be a moderator on this forum. We are always on the lookout to see who will be good candidates to be added to the moderating team. And those who are extremely civil rise up fast to the short list.

Finally, civility does not come naturally to most people. It is a skill and an art that is acquired through practice and self-control. And I hope this forum will provide a good environment for anyone to develop and practice civility.
Last edited by otseng on Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Cmass wrote:If you drove around with a bumper sticker that said "I am trying to drive respectfully" it would probably give some people a chuckle but it would also probably remind you to stay on your best behavior from time to time. Not necessarily prevent it, but reduce the likelihood of disrespectful driving.
That's why I don't have any bumper stickers on my cars mentioning Jesus on them. O:)
I think it could be fun for many people.
OK, sounds good. Feel free to send a request in the Your very own usergroup thread and I'll create it.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

I'm having a little trouble being civil it seems, and as always, I'm not really sure what I said that offended anyone. If a moderator could go through my posts and figure out what I shouldn't have said, I would very much appreciate it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #13

Post by Wootah »

Purple Knight wrote: I'm having a little trouble being civil it seems, and as always, I'm not really sure what I said that offended anyone. If a moderator could go through my posts and figure out what I shouldn't have said, I would very much appreciate it.
I'll be your personal moderator. If you have any posts you want me to review just pm me the post ....
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Tips on how to remain civil while debating

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That's all useful advice. I'll try to keep it in mind when I post.