On requesting proof/evidence for God

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

On requesting proof/evidence for God

Post #1

Post by otseng »

An issue has been raised on what is the forum guideline on when should evidence be required to demonstrate that God exists.

By the very nature of this forum, the word "God" will frequently be used. So, it is not reasonable that every time the word "God" is mentioned in a thread that one is required to give a full apologetics discourse on proving the existence of God.

Where it is appropriate to ask for evidence for the existence of God is when a claim is made that God exists and that it is a premise for an argument related to the thread. Anyone then has the right to ask for justification for that claim, unless it has been agreed beforehand that God is assumed to exist.

If God (or anything for that matter) is only mentioned as an opinion and not related to the OP, then there is no need to defend it or to respond to any requests for God's existence.

I realize that there could be other situations where God would be mentioned that is not covered by these, but we'll address those later as they come up.
Last edited by otseng on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

olddocbenway
Student

Re: On requesting proof/evidence for God

Post #2

Post by olddocbenway »

Sorry, just wondering how we can add/request a book to talk about? I'm keen to get people's views on Jesus The Man: Decoding The Real Story Of Jesus And Mary Magdelene by Barbara Thiering. Thanks.

otseng
Savant

Re: On requesting proof/evidence for God

Post #3

Post by otseng »

olddocbenway wrote:Sorry, just wondering how we can add/request a book to talk about? I'm keen to get people's views on Jesus The Man: Decoding The Real Story Of Jesus And Mary Magdelene by Barbara Thiering. Thanks.
Post a request here. If you can get several people to participate, it can then be set up in the book debate subforum.

Grim_railer
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Grim_railer »

I agree?

whoaaaa

Post #5

Post by whoaaaa »

I've been asking the same topic like this towards someone senior, and what he told me is this.
When u're asking about the evidence/ proof of the existing God, it's almost the same as an aromas..
I've an illustration for this, try to imagine, when you smell an aroma of a coffee, and you close ur eyes, u still believe and know that the coffee is exist, why? because you can smell it, and the aromas is there for you to smell, doesn't it?
people tend to relate this with an existence, but see, if you bring this coffee to someone whom having problem with his smelling sense, and you telling him to close his eyes, then you bring him the coffee, does this means that the aroma is not exist?
or it still exist? it still exist right, but that man just can't smell it. while the existence of aromas is not for you to see, nor for you hear, but for you to smell. while others, whom having a good smelling sense, they can smell it, and enjoy the sweetness of coffee aroma though they can't see it.

hope this help..:)