Questions about moderator actions

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Questions about moderator actions

Post #1

Post by otseng »

There has been some questions regarding moderator actions that I'd like to address.

Why are moderator warnings made public? Wouldn't it be better if posters were warned privately that he/she broke a rule?

Warnings are made public if rule infractions are also made publicly. If a rule infraction was made in a PM, it will be addressed directly and in private. Public warnings allow readers to know that rule violations are being dealt with. And it serves as a reminder to all that the rules are to be taken seriously.

Why can't people challenge moderator actions publicly?

Public challenges to moderator actions derails threads and clutters them. If an offender wants to question an action, he/she should use PM to discuss it with the moderator. If there is no resolution, one should then contact an admin.

Can't moderators abuse their powers?

There is that possibility. But, I don't recall an instance where there has been a legitimate charge against a moderator of abuse since the founding of the forum.

There are several guidelines that the moderating team follows to avoid abusing power.

One is that if a moderator is engaged in a debate, he/she should desist from acting as a moderator in that thread. Another moderator should be called upon to cite any rule infractions.

Another is that sometimes a moderator of the same persuasion is asked to issue a warning. So, if a Christian breaks a rule, it is better if a Christian moderator issues the warning.

Can a moderator action be revoked/changed?

Yes, it can. And it has happened. If the majority of the moderating team decides that an action should be altered, then the action can be revoked/changed.

When I report a rule violation, why does it sometimes take a long time for a moderator to do something?

Well, we are all volunteers here. Nobody is getting paid to moderate. Also, sometimes we need to have a discussion on how to handle something. And getting feedback from several moderators requires time.

What's the difference between a moderator comment/intervention/formal warning?

Only a formal warning counts as a step before probation. A comment/intervention will require another formal warning before someone can be on probation. It's more of a reminder to abide by the rules than a serious reprimand.

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Questions about moderator actions

Post #2

Post by EduChris »

I want to put McCulloch on my ignore list. He repeatedly engages in pointless, snide, one-liners and has no business being a moderator.

Please make it possible for me to put him on my Ignore List.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

EduChris wrote:Please make it possible for me to put him on my Ignore List.
It is not possible to ignore an admin now or in the future.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #4

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

Why can't people challenge moderator actions publicly?

Public challenges to moderator actions derails threads and clutters them. If an offender wants to question an action, he/she should use PM to discuss it with the moderator. If there is no resolution, one should then contact an admin.
Can the challenge be made public if the conditions are as such:

1.The challenge would have it's own thread in it's own subforum.

2.Only the moderation team and the person involved can post in the thread but all are allowed to view it.

This way if anyone else has a concern about the situation as well but isn't involved in the problem they can see if thier question would be answered by viewing the toipic. Such knowledge without having to make an actual offence can serve to help prevent common rule violations.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

DiscipleOfTruth wrote: Can the challenge be made public if the conditions are as such:

1.The challenge would have it's own thread in it's own subforum.

2.Only the moderation team and the person involved can post in the thread but all are allowed to view it.

This way if anyone else has a concern about the situation as well but isn't involved in the problem they can see if thier question would be answered by viewing the toipic. Such knowledge without having to make an actual offence can serve to help prevent common rule violations.
I'm not so sure how this will turn out, but we can try it. You can start a thread in Comments, Suggestions, and Questions.