How to Avoid Warnings

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

How to Avoid Warnings

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

A debater asked me for advice on how to get his point across without getting warned. So in a private message I sent some ideas:

Just say, "please answer my question which was: ". . . ." There's no need for nasty sarcasm.

Don't be afraid to acknowledge an opposing debater made a good point [here], but but that she is in error when he writes: . . . . Avoid using words like "delusional." Instead, you can suggest they "misapprehend the facts."

I'm the first to agree that some may seem not too well educated, but it takes more work to educate them and point out their logical flaws, than it does to just call them "CRAZY" or make personal insults.

I'd avoid calling extra attention to sarcasm or insults by avoiding ALL CAPS AND PUTTING THEM IN BOLD TYPE. :D

And ALWAYS hit 'preview' first. Then when you notice you've stepped over the line, use that to rewrite and force yourself to be specific about why you think they are idiots. You'll also find some of your typos, misspellings, and bad grammar and have a chance to fix it and not look as stupid as you think the person is who you're responding to. :D

For example, instead of calling someone a liar, you can quote them, then quote a reliable source showing they are wrong, and another source, or another quote from them showing they KNEW or should have, that their facts were wrong. But you can't raise anyone's IQ by telling him he's stupid.

Believe me, my temper is probably worse than yours. But ever once in a while, I pause before I hit 'send.' [....] and if I can reign in [most of the time] my desire to call someone [expletive deleted], so can you.

It's almost like cheating, but you can cultivate some pet phrases. Instead of "your thinking sucks," you can say "I think the logical error in your claim is..." and then explain WHY it was not logical.

Unfortunately, this requires you to actually think thru WHY you think their thinking is deficient. Your conclusion, "That was a stupid thing to say," may be spot on, but instead of the label, demonstrate specifically whyit was stupid, without calling it 'stupid,' or worse, calling THEM stupid.

And focus on their sentences, rather then on them. Whenever you see the word "you" in one of your proposed responses, that should be a warning to reexamine your writing to see whether you are attacking them, rather than what they wrote.

Now... I have to try to take my own advice.
:oops:

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: How to Avoid Warnings

Post #11

Post by Blastcat »

Danmark wrote:
How do you know it doesn't get looked at? How did it 'fail you?'
What happened to me was.. I was offended by some silly ad hominem argument.

OK.. clear violation in my opinion.

I would LIKE a moderator to pass judgement on the issue.

So, I hit the ! button and bitch about it.

To my horror, I see my whining in the sub forum....
I immediately remove ( lucky I can do that ) the whinny accusation and justification and so on.. it's GONE, baby!

I mean, I'm just asking for a judgement, NOT MAKING ONE.

So, now.. the offending comment might NOT get noticed, might get noticed, I don't know.

Maybe I'm WAY out of line.
I don't KNOW.

The fact that I don't know is what is failing me here.
The ! function does not seem to work for me.

So, that's why I ask how to bitch, moan and complain effectively.
The judgments, I will leave to the moderators.

I only agree with things that I can understand.
So it's USELESS to me if I have a question about some rule.. that I don't see being addressed.

What is the proper MECHANISM so I can attend to my concern?

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Blastcat wrote: weird shit that happens to me all the time.

and I MIGHT sometimes get out of line, damnit.. but so do others.

I just want to know how to stop that shit at LEAST when it comes to my wonderful personhood.
Moderator Comment

I assume you are trying to be ironic here. We do not allow profanity on the forum. This is one of the surest ways to get a warning.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Danmark »

Blastcat wrote: What happened to me was.. I was offended by some silly ad hominem argument.

My guess is the usual, 'operator error.'
If you hit the [!] button you should get two boxes. The first tells you to state the nature of the violation. It's usually "personal attack" or "uncivil" or in your case ;) "offensive material" = profanity or cursing. You caught a break. Osteng was generous just giving you a warning. You absolutely positively should not use offensive language here.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Blastcat »

Danmark wrote:
Blastcat wrote: What happened to me was.. I was offended by some silly ad hominem argument.

If you hit the [!] button you should get two boxes. The first tells you to state the nature of the violation. It's usually "personal attack" or "uncivil" or in your case ;) "offensive material" = profanity or cursing. You caught a break. Osteng was generous just giving you a warning. You absolutely positively should not use offensive language here.
Sorry folks.. yes, I forgot myself.. NO more "offensive language"...
If you knew me, you would know that tend to swear a lot. It's just a habit.

Now.. if I understand you correctly, IF I just select in the reason box.. the drop down box and NOT put a comment in the comment section, my report WONT go into the public forum?

I tried this twice and it went into the public forum.. can I try on now?

Can I try a bogus complaint to see what happens so we can talk about what happens?

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Danmark »

Blastcat wrote:
Danmark wrote:

Sorry folks.. yes, I forgot myself.. NO more "offensive language"...
If you knew me, you would know that tend to swear a lot. It's just a habit.

Now.. if I understand you correctly, IF I just select in the reason box.. the drop down box and NOT put a comment in the comment section, my report WONT go into the public forum?

I tried this twice and it went into the public forum.. can I try on now?

Can I try a bogus complaint to see what happens so we can talk about what happens?
it's ok with me, but you should check with a moderator. I don't mind if you pick one of my posts. You could select "other" and then in the dialogue you can write "test" unless you have a legitimate complaint, then explain it. As I've said, it is a good idea to put the offending phrase in quotes, for exmple , if I had said it you could indicate it by quoting me saying "Blastcat is a doofus." It's work for the moderators to tend to reports, so you might want to get permission first. I have no idea how a report would become public. They can't be read by anyone but moderators. Osteng is the expert in this stuff. You could send him a private message, but keep in mind, unlike goof off's like me, he has a regular job.

otseng
Savant

Post #16

Post by otseng »

Blastcat wrote: Can I try a bogus complaint to see what happens so we can talk about what happens?
So, did you see anything publicly posted?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 16 by otseng]

No, I didn't try.. can I?. I was going to ask permission.....

otseng
Savant

Post #18

Post by otseng »

Go ahead and report any of my posts.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Blastcat »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 16 by otseng]

No, I didn't try.. can I?. I was going to ask permission.....
Ok,, right now, I reported you, osteng.. and I used "other" .. gave a bogus reason.. and I see it all in big red letters..

Do others see that?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Zzyzx »

Blastcat wrote: Ok,, right now, I reported you, osteng.. and I used "other" .. gave a bogus reason.. and I see it all in big red letters..

Do others see that?
Report by Blastcat regarding Otseng: "I'm reporting that osteng has OKed my request to try a trial report..." showed up on Moderator Dashboards. No moderator action required.

Note the time stamps involved.

All Admin and Moderators see the text of reports but members do not. Members do, however, see that the report button disappeared.
Last edited by Zzyzx on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence