How to Avoid Warnings

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

How to Avoid Warnings

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

A debater asked me for advice on how to get his point across without getting warned. So in a private message I sent some ideas:

Just say, "please answer my question which was: ". . . ." There's no need for nasty sarcasm.

Don't be afraid to acknowledge an opposing debater made a good point [here], but but that she is in error when he writes: . . . . Avoid using words like "delusional." Instead, you can suggest they "misapprehend the facts."

I'm the first to agree that some may seem not too well educated, but it takes more work to educate them and point out their logical flaws, than it does to just call them "CRAZY" or make personal insults.

I'd avoid calling extra attention to sarcasm or insults by avoiding ALL CAPS AND PUTTING THEM IN BOLD TYPE. :D

And ALWAYS hit 'preview' first. Then when you notice you've stepped over the line, use that to rewrite and force yourself to be specific about why you think they are idiots. You'll also find some of your typos, misspellings, and bad grammar and have a chance to fix it and not look as stupid as you think the person is who you're responding to. :D

For example, instead of calling someone a liar, you can quote them, then quote a reliable source showing they are wrong, and another source, or another quote from them showing they KNEW or should have, that their facts were wrong. But you can't raise anyone's IQ by telling him he's stupid.

Believe me, my temper is probably worse than yours. But ever once in a while, I pause before I hit 'send.' [....] and if I can reign in [most of the time] my desire to call someone [expletive deleted], so can you.

It's almost like cheating, but you can cultivate some pet phrases. Instead of "your thinking sucks," you can say "I think the logical error in your claim is..." and then explain WHY it was not logical.

Unfortunately, this requires you to actually think thru WHY you think their thinking is deficient. Your conclusion, "That was a stupid thing to say," may be spot on, but instead of the label, demonstrate specifically whyit was stupid, without calling it 'stupid,' or worse, calling THEM stupid.

And focus on their sentences, rather then on them. Whenever you see the word "you" in one of your proposed responses, that should be a warning to reexamine your writing to see whether you are attacking them, rather than what they wrote.

Now... I have to try to take my own advice.
:oops:

Faithful One
Guru

Re: How to Avoid Warnings

Post #2

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

I do not see where I can start a thread . Please help ? I do not see new topic button on my pages .

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Danmark »

Faithful One wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

I do not see where I can start a thread . Please help ? I do not see new topic button on my pages .
There is useful information in "Announcements," including a topic about starting threads:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=3335

Faithful One
Guru

Post #4

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 3 by Danmark]

Much appreciated , but still no directions in where to start a thread , can not find new topic button .

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

There's a button on the top left to start a new thread:

You can create a test thread here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=11

Faithful One
Guru

Post #6

Post by Faithful One »

[Replying to post 5 by otseng]

O.k, did I pass? �

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Danmark »

After you decide your subject area, go to the Forum Index. Then click on Science and Religion or Christianity and Apologetics or whatever subforum most appropriate for your new topic and look near the the top of the page for the new Topic button.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

I should LIVE in this sub-forum.. OY!

but I have a question...

It's happened to me that someone makes an ad honimem including me as the subject.

Ironically, it's often to complain about how I am making ad hominems.. Not the point, but I love irony.

NOW.. I know that Mods can't be everywhere or pay attention to the reams of material that is put out in here so......

If I spot some rule infraction .. how to I get that to a mod's attention?

I am not pretending to BE a mod.. I'd like to signal what I IMAGINE to be a potential violtaion of some forum rule.

When I have tried to use the ! function on the top right hand corner of the offending post, I seem to get to PLAY moderator, and that's not my intention at all. So, I've tied that technique, and it failed for me.

I had to remove the violation report.. and then .. the offense doesn't get looked at and it can potentially burn my wheat grass.

I know I might be a constant complainer, but I would LIKE more rule following .. by myself AND others.. so would appreciate it when a mod could look at what I think is a possible violation. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe I'm at fault.

I would just love to be mediated sometime.
Ad Hominems SUCK in my opinion.
I'd be way happier with the Forum if they never occurred

What is a young girl to DO?
How do I signal a potential rule violation to moderators?
Or is that even possible?

Just let the violations go .. and not mention them?
A few times, Ive had to spend my time arguing about how it's not useful to characterize me as misbehaving somehow in order to prove a POINT.

And I don't LIKE personal attacks, by the way.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Danmark »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

but I have a question...

It's happened to me that someone makes an ad honimem including me as the subject.

Ironically, it's often to complain about how I am making ad hominems.. Not the point, but I love irony.

NOW.. I know that Mods can't be everywhere or pay attention to the reams of material that is put out in here so......

I am not pretending to BE a mod.. I'd like to signal what I IMAGINE to be a potential violtaion of some forum rule.

When I have tried to use the ! function on the top right hand corner of the offending post, I seem to get to PLAY moderator, and that's not my intention at all. So, I've tied that technique, and it failed for me.

I had to remove the violation report.. and then .. the offense doesn't get looked at....
How do you know it doesn't get looked at? How did it 'fail you?'

As you say, hit the [!] button, choose a 'reason,' and in the limited place allowed quote the offending material. Especially in a long post you are complaining about, it helps the moderator save time so he or she can direct his focus to the part of the text that violates a rule.

I've always thought it is very helpful for a moderator to act quickly on a report, but this depends on their own schedule. Also, many reports are frivolous or questionable. Sometimes a debater has so many reports in a short time, that a moderator will issue just a single warning for multiple reports. The goal of moderating is not to 'ding' people, but to get them to read and follow the rules.

We frequently have new members who either never look at the rules, or don't comprehend them, or just don't care... or lose their tempers. :oops:

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Blastcat »

Danmark wrote:
Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Danmark]

but I have a question...

I had to remove the violation report.. and then .. the offense doesn't get looked at....
How do you know it doesn't get looked at? How did it 'fail you?'

As you say, hit the [!] button, choose a 'reason,' and in the limited place allowed quote the offending material. Especially in a long post you are complaining about, it helps the moderator save time so he or she can direct his focus to the part of the text that violates a rule.

I've always thought it is very helpful for a moderator to act quickly on a report, but this depends on their own schedule. Also, many reports are frivolous or questionable. Sometimes a debater has so many reports in a short time, that a moderator will issue just a single warning for multiple reports. The goal of moderating is not to 'ding' people, but to get them to read and follow the rules.

We frequently have new members who either never look at the rules, or don't comprehend them, or just don't care... or lose their tempers. :oops:
But sorry, when I use the ! function, it seems to post it in the sub forum!
I can't have that!

I JUST got dinged by bust nak for being uncivil.. and people were being personally uncivil to ME.

My attacks were about IDEAS .. I called the IDEAS ridiculous and so on.. BUT THEIR ATTACKS were on my PERSON.

I think I was getting DINGED for being humorous.
APPARENTLY, this isn't allowed on the site?

DIDNT SEE THAT IN ANY RULE BOOK.
Im a bit P.O.ed to tell the truth.

But that's another matter.
I asked bust a snack to explain to me how I was being CLEARLY ( his word ) uncivil.

I wont ask you to defend his judgement.
I'm just POed because this has JUST happened.

I'd like to know how to complain about ... weird shit that happens to me all the time.

IF I press on the ! button and rant and rave about everything under the sun, is this going to be in PUBLIC?

because it seems to
I would not like that.

I think I contribute a lot to any discussion I enter into.
I make jokes. oh here I go again... I should say this to Bust Nak.... not you.

I DO lose my temper.. and I MIGHT sometimes get out of line, damnit.. but so do others.

I just want to know how to stop that shit at LEAST when it comes to my wonderful personhood.