How to Avoid Warnings

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

How to Avoid Warnings

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

A debater asked me for advice on how to get his point across without getting warned. So in a private message I sent some ideas:

Just say, "please answer my question which was: ". . . ." There's no need for nasty sarcasm.

Don't be afraid to acknowledge an opposing debater made a good point [here], but but that she is in error when he writes: . . . . Avoid using words like "delusional." Instead, you can suggest they "misapprehend the facts."

I'm the first to agree that some may seem not too well educated, but it takes more work to educate them and point out their logical flaws, than it does to just call them "CRAZY" or make personal insults.

I'd avoid calling extra attention to sarcasm or insults by avoiding ALL CAPS AND PUTTING THEM IN BOLD TYPE. :D

And ALWAYS hit 'preview' first. Then when you notice you've stepped over the line, use that to rewrite and force yourself to be specific about why you think they are idiots. You'll also find some of your typos, misspellings, and bad grammar and have a chance to fix it and not look as stupid as you think the person is who you're responding to. :D

For example, instead of calling someone a liar, you can quote them, then quote a reliable source showing they are wrong, and another source, or another quote from them showing they KNEW or should have, that their facts were wrong. But you can't raise anyone's IQ by telling him he's stupid.

Believe me, my temper is probably worse than yours. But ever once in a while, I pause before I hit 'send.' [....] and if I can reign in [most of the time] my desire to call someone [expletive deleted], so can you.

It's almost like cheating, but you can cultivate some pet phrases. Instead of "your thinking sucks," you can say "I think the logical error in your claim is..." and then explain WHY it was not logical.

Unfortunately, this requires you to actually think thru WHY you think their thinking is deficient. Your conclusion, "That was a stupid thing to say," may be spot on, but instead of the label, demonstrate specifically whyit was stupid, without calling it 'stupid,' or worse, calling THEM stupid.

And focus on their sentences, rather then on them. Whenever you see the word "you" in one of your proposed responses, that should be a warning to reexamine your writing to see whether you are attacking them, rather than what they wrote.

Now... I have to try to take my own advice.
:oops:

otseng
Savant

Re: How to Avoid Warnings

Post #21

Post by otseng »

Blastcat wrote:
Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 16 by otseng]

No, I didn't try.. can I?. I was going to ask permission.....
Ok,, right now, I reported you, osteng.. and I used "other" .. gave a bogus reason.. and I see it all in big red letters..

Do others see that?
Only you and the moderators can see that. Nobody else can see it.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Blastcat »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Blastcat wrote: No, I didn't try.. can I?. I was going to ask permission.....
Report by Blastcat regarding Otseng: "I'm reporting that osteng has OKed my request to try a trial report..." showed up on Moderator Dashboards. No moderator action required.
ok, THANK you for that, Z, but my question was.. did anyone in the forum see the bogus report but me and the moderators?

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Blastcat »

otseng wrote:
Blastcat wrote:
Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 16 by otseng]

No, I didn't try.. can I?. I was going to ask permission.....
Ok,, right now, I reported you, osteng.. and I used "other" .. gave a bogus reason.. and I see it all in big red letters..

Do others see that?
Only you and the moderators can see that. Nobody else can see it.
Ohhh ok... THAT'S IT then!

I'm GOOD to go.

Thank you very much people for.. helping me out.
I WILL try to "moderate" myself...

I double dare promise !

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 22 by Blastcat]

I edited my post #20 to address that issue.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by dianaiad »

OK, Blastcat....

I'll clear your report against otseng, and you will see what happens...

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Danmark »

It's hard for me to refrain from claiming "I see it!" :D

I don't of course. Wouldn't even know where to look.

Infinite One
Student

Post #27

Post by Infinite One »

Danmark wrote: A debater asked me for advice on how to get his point across without getting warned. So in a private message I sent some ideas:

Just say, "please answer my question which was: ". . . ." There's no need for nasty sarcasm.

Don't be afraid to acknowledge an opposing debater made a good point [here], but but that she is in error when he writes: . . . . Avoid using words like "delusional." Instead, you can suggest they "misapprehend the facts."

I'm the first to agree that some may seem not too well educated, but it takes more work to educate them and point out their logical flaws, than it does to just call them "CRAZY" or make personal insults.

I'd avoid calling extra attention to sarcasm or insults by avoiding ALL CAPS AND PUTTING THEM IN BOLD TYPE. :D

And ALWAYS hit 'preview' first. Then when you notice you've stepped over the line, use that to rewrite and force yourself to be specific about why you think they are idiots. You'll also find some of your typos, misspellings, and bad grammar and have a chance to fix it and not look as stupid as you think the person is who you're responding to. :D

For example, instead of calling someone a liar, you can quote them, then quote a reliable source showing they are wrong, and another source, or another quote from them showing they KNEW or should have, that their facts were wrong. But you can't raise anyone's IQ by telling him he's stupid.

Believe me, my temper is probably worse than yours. But ever once in a while, I pause before I hit 'send.' [....] and if I can reign in [most of the time] my desire to call someone [expletive deleted], so can you.

It's almost like cheating, but you can cultivate some pet phrases. Instead of "your thinking sucks," you can say "I think the logical error in your claim is..." and then explain WHY it was not logical.

Unfortunately, this requires you to actually think thru WHY you think their thinking is deficient. Your conclusion, "That was a stupid thing to say," may be spot on, but instead of the label, demonstrate specifically whyit was stupid, without calling it 'stupid,' or worse, calling THEM stupid.

And focus on their sentences, rather then on them. Whenever you see the word "you" in one of your proposed responses, that should be a warning to reexamine your writing to see whether you are attacking them, rather than what they wrote.

Now... I have to try to take my own advice.
:oops:
There are many hypocrites in this world starting with our parents. If we watch what our parents do and listen carefully to what they say, we will learn how to be hypocrites ourselves. It's better to keep silent and be free from being called a hypocrite.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by Zzyzx »

Infinite One wrote: There are many hypocrites in this world starting with our parents. If we watch what our parents do and listen carefully to what they say, we will learn how to be hypocrites ourselves. It's better to keep silent and be free from being called a hypocrite.
Rather than remaining silent to avoid being a hypocrite, one can "walk the talk" -- consistently do what they say.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence