Newsletter feedback

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Newsletter feedback

Post #1

Post by otseng »

I've been wanting to have a mod to be able to send newsletters from the forum. And I've never been able to find one that I like. So, I've decided to write my own.

I've completed coding the main functionality and would like to start testing it on a larger scale and to also solicit feedback and suggestions. If you'd like to help beta test it, please join the Newsletter Beta Tester group. It's an open group so you may join or leave at any time.

I anticipate the beta testing to run for less than a month if all goes well. And I'll try not to send out too many newsletters, perhaps just several per week.

If you have any feedback or suggestions about the newsletter, please post it in this thread.

Thanks for your assistance.
Last edited by otseng on Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

It took me faster than anticipated to code an opt-out page and batch email transmission. So, the newsletter mod is no longer in private beta testing and has moved to public beta testing. The beta testing usergroup will be deleted.

nikolayevich
Scholar

Post #3

Post by nikolayevich »

Fantastic idea... looks great and reads well. Thanks for including!

:)

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #4

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Maybe you should try and put some of the statistics in graph form. It would be more attention-grabbing, and better show how the forum is progressing.

Lotan
Guru

Post #5

Post by Lotan »

Hi otseng,

Looks good to me. I might suggest sorting "LATEST THREADS" by forum. For instance some people might not find test threads interesting, but then again maybe they would.
Also, have you considered some sort of 'special events' or 'news' feature?
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:Maybe you should try and put some of the statistics in graph form. It would be more attention-grabbing, and better show how the forum is progressing.
For the near future, I'm only planning on supporting email newsletters. I guess unless I can make the graphs use ascii text.
Lotan wrote: Looks good to me. I might suggest sorting "LATEST THREADS" by forum. For instance some people might not find test threads interesting, but then again maybe they would.
That's a possibility, I'll look into it.
Also, have you considered some sort of 'special events' or 'news' feature?
I was thinking about having a "Member spotlight" in the next issue where I'd interview a member. But, other sections would be good too.

M Paul

Post #7

Post by M Paul »

<<<I do not believe that he pulled users' email addresses or passwords.
The only account that was compromised was my admin account. >>>

Well, I got an e-mail from him today, advising that he has my "info," and providing an e-mail link for contacting him. I did just now change my password.

M Paul

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

M Paul wrote:<<<I do not believe that he pulled users' email addresses or passwords.
The only account that was compromised was my admin account. >>>

Well, I got an e-mail from him today, advising that he has my "info," and providing an e-mail link for contacting him. I did just now change my password.

M Paul
The email was sent out on Friday by the hacker. Was this the second one you received?

M Paul

Post #9

Post by M Paul »

otseng wrote: The email was sent out on Friday by the hacker. Was this the second one you received?
No, I only got one e-mail. I had been away from my computer for three days. The e-mail was sent one before that from the forum giving notice. It could have been from Friday, but I immediately deleted it. I think it was after Friday. It used a racially offensive name with hotmail from the UK.

M Paul