Known issues with forum

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Known issues with forum

Post #1

Post by otseng »

As you use the new forum, you'll probably be encountering some issues. I'm going to list the known issues here. If you find any, post here and I'll add it to the list.

Known issues:
  • Not able to send email to some addresses (hotmail)
  • Text display issues (unicode, Greek text, don’t)
Fixed issues:
  • Search functionality

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Re: Known issues with forum

Post #2

Post by DavidLeon »

Some of the textual formatting is off. I've had several of these forums myself and I don't recall it being an issue but I've seen it elsewhere.

An example of this is The Bible simply doesn’t say. Note that doesn't is distorted due to the apostrophe having been copied from another text editor. I've seen a lot of this in older posts so I don't think it is an issue for you except in posts that were made in the old forum having the problem once moved to this one but it could be a problem you might want to look out for should arise when quotes from other sources are pasted or a text editor is used.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

DavidLeon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 am Some of the textual formatting is off. I've had several of these forums myself and I don't recall it being an issue but I've seen it elsewhere.
Thanks, I'll add that.

WeSee
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by WeSee »

Submitted posts are being dropped. It's happened to me a few times.

I notice that bluegreenearth seemed to have had this problem in the "The Resurrection (Again)" thread in "Christianity and Apologetics" where BGE wrote:
"Note: I thought I had submitted a response to this post a few seconds ago but it isn't showing up in the thread. So, if my original response shows up later and this response turns out to be a duplicate, please disregard it."

Likely others have also had this issue, but weren't sure that they actually clicked on "Submit" and so didn't report it.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

WeSee wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:26 pm Submitted posts are being dropped. It's happened to me a few times.

I notice that bluegreenearth seemed to have had this problem in the "The Resurrection (Again)" thread in "Christianity and Apologetics" where BGE wrote:
"Note: I thought I had submitted a response to this post a few seconds ago but it isn't showing up in the thread. So, if my original response shows up later and this response turns out to be a duplicate, please disregard it."

Likely others have also had this issue, but weren't sure that they actually clicked on "Submit" and so didn't report it.
I've never had this problem. But, I suspect the issue is that I've been doing some server changes while people are posting. It could potentially drop a post while I'm updating the code. But, most of the major code changes are now completed. So, hopefully this would be less of a problem now. I recommend copying your post before you submit so that you would at least have it in your clipboard if it does get dropped.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

DavidLeon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 am An example of this is The Bible simply doesn’t say. Note that doesn't is distorted due to the apostrophe having been copied from another text editor. I've seen a lot of this in older posts so I don't think it is an issue for you except in posts that were made in the old forum having the problem once moved to this one but it could be a problem you might want to look out for should arise when quotes from other sources are pasted or a text editor is used.
I've tested formatting with new posts and it seems to be fine. So, the issue is not being able to read the posts prior to the forum migration. This, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to resolve.

DavidLeon
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by DavidLeon »

otseng wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:20 pm
DavidLeon wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 am An example of this is The Bible simply doesn’t say. Note that doesn't is distorted due to the apostrophe having been copied from another text editor. I've seen a lot of this in older posts so I don't think it is an issue for you except in posts that were made in the old forum having the problem once moved to this one but it could be a problem you might want to look out for should arise when quotes from other sources are pasted or a text editor is used.
I've tested formatting with new posts and it seems to be fine. So, the issue is not being able to read the posts prior to the forum migration. This, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to resolve.
Yeah, I figured that. I've had the same issue with websites I've made in the past. I figure it's a charset issue. See this.

The coding on these boards are soooo temperamental. Since the problem originated with a transference of an old forum to a new one you might be better off not messing with it unless you really know what you are doing. I once had an entire forum disappear without being able to bring it back just by adding some insignificant CSS. If you know what the charset on the old forum was that might be helpful IF you should decide to try it.
I no longer post here