The Real Image of "God"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

MrSigmund77
Student

The Real Image of "God"

Post #1

Post by MrSigmund77 »

I have heard my entire life that, "Man is made in God's image." This may be true, but I would say even more so that "God is made in Man's image."
Think about it.
The God of Christianity is a Father. He has a son. He has all kinds of human qualities, intelligence, honesty, patience, compassion, to name a few. He speaks to us. He teaches us lessons.
This "God" seems more like a wise, grey-haired, bearded, old-man who tells stories while his grandchildren sit cross-legged at his feet. This is not the God I believe in...

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: The Real Image of "God"

Post #2

Post by Goat »

MrSigmund77 wrote:I have heard my entire life that, "Man is made in God's image." This may be true, but I would say even more so that "God is made in Man's image."
Think about it.
The God of Christianity is a Father. He has a son. He has all kinds of human qualities, intelligence, honesty, patience, compassion, to name a few. He speaks to us. He teaches us lessons.
This "God" seems more like a wise, grey-haired, bearded, old-man who tells stories while his grandchildren sit cross-legged at his feet. This is not the God I believe in...
That is not a new thought.. Have you ever heard 'In the beginning God create man. Man immediately returned the favor'.

One thing you will notice when you look at a huge number of people, very often, their vision of what God is reflects their basic personality. A real condemning, obnoxious, and domineering person will have a condemning and domineering god.

A very kind and compassionate person will have a kind and compassionate God.

I think I like what Susan B Anthony said about people's God beliefs... (Which is about the person, not God)
I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Dimmesdale
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Dimmesdale »

MrSigmund77 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:20 am I have heard my entire life that, "Man is made in God's image." This may be true, but I would say even more so that "God is made in Man's image."
Think about it.
What's really interesting is that this indeed goes both ways.

It depends on how you look at it. You can say God created man, or man created God. The logic in both cases is the same, I think. You may say that humans felt lonely and needed something to worship, so they invented God. But, what if the hole in the heart of man is something specifically designed for God? The desire then is evidence that humans' transcendent longing has as its fulfillment God.....

jimtatertayte
Scholar

Post #4

Post by jimtatertayte »

MrSigmund77 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:20 am I have heard my entire life that, "Man is made in God's image." This may be true, but I would say even more so that "God is made in Man's image."
Think about it.
The image of God is Holy.

God created man to be Holy, being His own image.

When Adam and Eve committed sin
they lost the image of God, they were no longer Holy.

Jesus came and redeemed it. He got back what Adam and Eve lost.