Definition of a Cult

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlet Rage

Definition of a Cult

Post #1

Post by Scarlet Rage »

I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.

yaright
Student

Re: Definition of a Cult

Post #21

Post by yaright »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.
Easy...

WE are a religion

THEY are a cult
O:)

For various reasons even the many religions that believe Jesus is the Messiah call each other 'cults'

To narrow this to 'they are a cult' is actually a correct statement; But also, serves as a notice concerning who we are and why we are that way in God's sight. Interesting, the way this subject is unfolding.

yaright
Student

Post #22

Post by yaright »

Aqualung wrote:
Dilettante wrote:Drawing a clear-cut line between cults and religions is a tricky business. In principle, any small splinter religious group could be called a cult. And many mainstream religions were initially seen as cults. Perhaps more important than the difference between a religion and a cult is the difference between a harmless cult/religion and a harmful one.
Some of the danger signs are:

1. The leaders promote a manichean, "us vs. them" mentality.
2. The group is preoccupied with making money.
3. The group is preoccupied with recruiting people rather than persuading.
4. Group members are encouraged or required to socialize with other group members only.
5. Guilt feelings are systematically induced on members as a mind control technique.
6. Any questioning, doubt or dissent is strongly discouraged and/or punished.
7. The leaders dictate (in detail) how members should dress, speak, behave or feel.
8. The leaders tell members exactly what to think about most issues.
9. Repetitive chanting, meditation, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions and intensive work routines are imposed on members to numb their minds.
10. Members are expected to spend an unreasonable amount of time doing work for the group, in detriment of family time.
11. Members are told that certain unethical acts are permissible if done for the good of the group (e.g., "lying for God").

The better a certain religious group fits the above criteria, the higher the chances of its being a harmful one.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I would define it, as well. I think the definition of "small religions are cults" is just wrong.

Your last statement here is a larger truth than what was once defined as a cult. If a person considered each Christian religion according to the common concept of the size of cults or sects; Than each Christian religion is among many of the smallest 'sects' or 'cults'. The biblical teaching of Egypt as a powerful nation had its own concept of priests and the gods they worshiped. Egypt in those times also had what was a black stone judgement; The only inheritance was death. Many of the Christian religions have written in their books concerning the white stone judgement. It is exactly the opposite concerning the percepts of the ways of the world. In the book of Jeremiah, language reveals the children of the living God who were slaves to sin (figurative language) and needed to be delivered; not only out of Egypt, but also from all places on this earth. Egypt became for us the identity of a nature of sin that does not want to let go of those who are a slave to sin. Jeremiah 16;16 I will teach men to "FISH" them out, and I will send men to hunt them. Jesus said, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." That concept is about people who hear the Word of God and believe, repent, pick up their cross and follow in the teaching of Jesus. Are Christians so withdrawn they don't go out into the streets or to every high place to preach the Gospel?

If a Christian religion becomes useless in that regard, aren't they in danger according to the things they themselves preach? One day, while pondering the life language of a Christian (me), I looked out into the world and saw myself pointing at the ways of the world and said, "See what wickedness there is in the world! Surely the end times are near!" I repeated what I heard from the heads of various religions say, "Surely the end times are near!"

Then it struck me; I had been called by the Word of God, and came in from that way of life. I was saved! But then I saw my hand pointing out at the ways of the world and called it wicked! One word rang loud in my being, "Hypocrite!"

It's true; many Christian religions refer to other Christian religions as 'cults'. Just because it's true, does not make it right.

officer2002
Student

Mormonism is a cult

Post #23

Post by officer2002 »

Webster's New Dictionary, copyright 1997 "cult n. system of religious worship; pursuit of, or devotion to, some object". That is what the best dictionary in my house says.
Some english words have French origins (due to William the Conqueror). Look up cult in my French dictionary and under "culte" you find "worship, religion". Cult is a synonym for religion. Any thorough dictionary should also have the definition, "a group of which the speaker wants the hearer to be scared".
Because of what the real meaning of cult is and how it has lost meaning because of the misuse ( I could put together a big list of mainstream religions which are called cults) I do not mind being called a cult member. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I feel annoyed when I see articles by members of my church trying to prove that we are not a cult.