Definition of a Cult

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlet Rage

Definition of a Cult

Post #1

Post by Scarlet Rage »

I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.

Nyril
Scholar

Post #2

Post by Nyril »

Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion?
As far as I can tell, the only major difference is the number of people enrolled against the amount of political power they wield.

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #3

Post by mrmufin »

Hello, Scarlet Rage, and welcome to the Debating Christianity & Religion forums!
Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess.
Fair enough. Since there is a subforum dedicated to definitions and explanations, I took the liberty of moving your topic to the more appropriate location.

As to your question, "Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion?" I'd suggest that the fundamental difference is perspective. I've noticed that it always seems to be the other person's belief system that's a cult, never our own.

Again, welcome to the DC&R forums; I look forward to your continued participation.

Regards,
mrmufin

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by BeHereNow »

I believe that all young religions are (were) cults, and all cults are young religions.
Any exceptions?
Of course many of them die in infancy, and never become old religions.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by BeHereNow »

Scarlet rage: I do think certain major religions are cults.
Such as?

hannahjoy
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by hannahjoy »

There are already two threads devoted to this topic, here and here. They both include some definition of a cult.

Hannah Joy
"Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!"
- Philip P. Bliss, 1838-1876

Arthra
Student

Re: Definition of a Cult

Post #7

Post by Arthra »

Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.
Just as a point(s) of information I wanted to offer an essay from the Baha'i perspective on the issue of cults and how to define them:

http://bahai-library.com/essays/cult.html

The essay identifies the following as characteristics of cults:

1.) a charismatic leader demanding total authority,

2.) the use of "controlling" techniques,

3.) social and physical isolation,

4.) extreme or fanatical behavior,

5.) secrecy and deception.

- Art

Dilettante
Sage

Post #8

Post by Dilettante »

Drawing a clear-cut line between cults and religions is a tricky business. In principle, any small splinter religious group could be called a cult. And many mainstream religions were initially seen as cults. Perhaps more important than the difference between a religion and a cult is the difference between a harmless cult/religion and a harmful one.
Some of the danger signs are:

1. The leaders promote a manichean, "us vs. them" mentality.
2. The group is preoccupied with making money.
3. The group is preoccupied with recruiting people rather than persuading.
4. Group members are encouraged or required to socialize with other group members only.
5. Guilt feelings are systematically induced on members as a mind control technique.
6. Any questioning, doubt or dissent is strongly discouraged and/or punished.
7. The leaders dictate (in detail) how members should dress, speak, behave or feel.
8. The leaders tell members exactly what to think about most issues.
9. Repetitive chanting, meditation, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions and intensive work routines are imposed on members to numb their minds.
10. Members are expected to spend an unreasonable amount of time doing work for the group, in detriment of family time.
11. Members are told that certain unethical acts are permissible if done for the good of the group (e.g., "lying for God").

The better a certain religious group fits the above criteria, the higher the chances of its being a harmful one.

Arthra
Student

Post #9

Post by Arthra »

I think i agree with your definition pretty much "Dilettante" ...

I think though, we can run a risk of infringing on peoples' civil liberties and freedom of worship when we define as "cult" behaviours such as

"Repetitive chanting, meditation, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions and intensive work routines are imposed on members to numb their minds."

You make an assumption here that the purpose is to numb the minds when meditation could sharpen the mind if you understand what i'm saying. Meditation also can be a solitary activity as cahnting could be....

The use of term "cult" is negative enough for many people and i doubt they think much about a definition when they use the word.

- Art

Dilettante
Sage

Post #10

Post by Dilettante »

You're right, Arthra: meditation is not necessarily mind-numbing. Meditation also means "thinking carefully about something for a long time", and philosophers do just that, not to numb their minds but to sharpen them, as you said. It can also mean "remaining silent and calm for a while" and many religious people do that too, and I suppose it can be very relaxing. Some types of meditation, however, especially if accompanied by hypnotic recitation, can get your mind on "automatic mode". I don't know if this has any benefits, but it sounds pretty mind-numbing to me.
So let me rephrase my definition: "Repetitive chanting, meditation [...] when imposed on members to numb their minds."
Same goes for chanting. There are many types of chanting and I wasn't thinking of all of them. Hey, I enjoy listening to Gregorian chanting for example:
Puer natus est nobis....
So, yes, I should have been more specific.
However, I don't see how I was running a risk of curtailing anyone's civil liberties, since I did not advocate banning cults--as long as they are not routinely engaged in dangerous criminal activities which imperil other people.
Regards,
Dilettante