Definition of a Cult

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlet Rage

Definition of a Cult

Post #1

Post by Scarlet Rage »

I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.

Arthra
Student

Post #11

Post by Arthra »

"Dilettante" wrote:

So, yes, I should have been more specific.
However, I don't see how I was running a risk of curtailing anyone's civil liberties, since I did not advocate banning cults--as long as they are not routinely engaged in dangerous criminal activities which imperil other people.
Regards,
Dilettante

My reply:

Yes, thanks Dilettante...

I think what i was getting at in terms of violating civil liberties and allegations of cultism is from what i've heard personally from people who have been detained by so-called cult busters or people who make a living or money from families claiming their loved ones are being brainwashed by cults...so they spend a great deal of money for this.

One fellow i know personally was accusd of being in a cult by his family was detained against his will for several days...deprived of sleep and had strong light shown in his face while Bible verses were loudly read to him...

So alleging cultic activity can carry with it loss of civil liberties...there's also the obrobrium that goes with being accused if being in a cult.

The allegation is usually not carefully thought out orwell defined.

- Art

Dilettante
Sage

Post #12

Post by Dilettante »

Arthra wrote:
I think what i was getting at in terms of violating civil liberties and allegations of cultism is from what i've heard personally from people who have been detained by so-called cult busters or people who make a living or money from families claiming their loved ones are being brainwashed by cults...
OK, I see. In my view, those cult-busters who take justice into their own hands are not doing anyone a favor. I don't believe people are "brainwashed" by cults--if so-called "cults" didn't give certain people something that mainstream religious groups don't give them, they would be out of business, so to speak--, and, since it's not easy to draw the line between cults and religions, and there's such a stigma attached to the word, perhaps it would be wise to avoid the word "cult" altogether.
Still, I think we can tell the difference between harmful and harmless religious groups. But that is a different matter, as I said.

KnowJah
Student

Re: Definition of a Cult

Post #13

Post by KnowJah »

Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.
What is interesting is that according to the thesaurus, another word for cult is sect. Christian religions are known as sects. (Even in history when we were learning about religion it refered to them as "sects"

Aqualung
Student

Post #14

Post by Aqualung »

Dilettante wrote:Drawing a clear-cut line between cults and religions is a tricky business. In principle, any small splinter religious group could be called a cult. And many mainstream religions were initially seen as cults. Perhaps more important than the difference between a religion and a cult is the difference between a harmless cult/religion and a harmful one.
Some of the danger signs are:

1. The leaders promote a manichean, "us vs. them" mentality.
2. The group is preoccupied with making money.
3. The group is preoccupied with recruiting people rather than persuading.
4. Group members are encouraged or required to socialize with other group members only.
5. Guilt feelings are systematically induced on members as a mind control technique.
6. Any questioning, doubt or dissent is strongly discouraged and/or punished.
7. The leaders dictate (in detail) how members should dress, speak, behave or feel.
8. The leaders tell members exactly what to think about most issues.
9. Repetitive chanting, meditation, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions and intensive work routines are imposed on members to numb their minds.
10. Members are expected to spend an unreasonable amount of time doing work for the group, in detriment of family time.
11. Members are told that certain unethical acts are permissible if done for the good of the group (e.g., "lying for God").

The better a certain religious group fits the above criteria, the higher the chances of its being a harmful one.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I would define it, as well. I think the definition of "small religions are cults" is just wrong.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by BeHereNow »

I would argue that Christianity in the early days (first century) was a cult, but did not meet the criteria listed.

Hugh
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Hugh »

Cult - is the parent of all religion

Logomachist
Student

cult = a neophyte, original religion

Post #17

Post by Logomachist »

Like BeHereNow I was taught that a "cult" is the neophyte, original religion whereas a "sect" is a faction split off from an existing religion. Christianity started off as a Jewish sect, but arguably became a cult as it developed its own identity and then lost the cult label as is started to be accepted into mainstream society.

Of course I acknowledge that "cult" is often used pejoratively against small, strict religions even when they might be better termed "sects". But I think this meaning unfairly discriminates against small religions.

Malachi-Zede-El
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Malachi-Zede-El »

Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess. If I am wrong, I'm sorry in advance. Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion? I'm looking into the subject for my own interest and I do think certain major religions are cults (being honest and open) but I wanted a general definition that was accepted before I argued said opinion. After all, you can't argue someting is a cult if you don't have the same for a cult.

Let us take a closer look at how this Hypnotic Spell is cast with the word Cult and the many Images and Subliminal Suggestions the Media attaches to it . When they mention the word Cult there is a trick on word but you do not consciously catch it , yet it is picked up by your Subconscious Mind . You think that they are saying '' A Cult '' when in reality they are saying Ah Cult '' which is the word '' Occult . This plant's into your Mind the feeling of this is Bad , Evil , Wrong , Dark , Mysterious , Secret , even Witch Craft . All of these terms and association are attribute to the word O - C - C - U - L - T ,

Which you can easily see the spelling and phonetic similarities . This almost guarantess one to Think and Feel negatively about a person or an organization . They have used this simple Play or Words to link that which is Agreeable / Culture with that which they deed as Disagreeable / Occult .

Awareness groups called '' Cult Busters '' such as WNY Culy , Awareness Niagara Falls , N.Y. Cult Awareness Newtwork Rochester , NY , Cult Awarenes Council Dallas , TX , and Cult , Hotline Clinic New York , NY , have been set up throughout the country and their mission is to make people reject their own savior .

yaright
Student

Post #19

Post by yaright »

mrmufin wrote:Hello, Scarlet Rage, and welcome to the Debating Christianity & Religion forums!
Scarlet Rage wrote:I didn't know which forum to put this in, so I took a guess.
Fair enough. Since there is a subforum dedicated to definitions and explanations, I took the liberty of moving your topic to the more appropriate location.

As to your question, "Is there a general consensus as what separates a cult from a religion?" I'd suggest that the fundamental difference is perspective. I've noticed that it always seems to be the other person's belief system that's a cult, never our own.

Again, welcome to the DC&R forums; I look forward to your continued participation.

Regards,
mrmufin
Your reply is incredibly simple: The evidence overwhelming. Thank you.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Easy...

WE are a religion

THEY are a cult

O:)
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell