different erm... branches??? of christianity

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

sheep_lady

different erm... branches??? of christianity

Post #1

Post by sheep_lady »

When I was born, there was a big fight over wether I should be christened Catholic or Church of England, as a result my parents refused to christen me, and apart from RE lessons in school, I've had very little education.....if that make sense :)

I really dont understand what the differences is are between catholic/ protestant/anglican etc, if we all believe in the same one God, why do people who follow the different paths argue??

Can anyone help me?

xxx

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Kuan »

McCulloch wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote: Im curious as to what restorationism is, can some one elaborate on that?
That is an odd question from a Mormon.

Restorationism is one response to denominationalism. It is the belief that true Christianity should be restored using the early church as a model, in contrast to Reformation which argues that whatever failings there may be in Christianity can be addressed and reformed or corrected.

The term "restorationism" is sometimes used more specifically as a synonym for the American Restoration Movement. They do not consider themselves to be Protestants (a reform movement) since they maintain that they stem directly from the first century church.

Key principles:
  • Christianity should not be divided, Christ intended the creation of one church.
  • Creeds divide, but Christians should be able to find agreement by standing on the Bible itself instead of on the opinions of people about the Bible.
  • Ecclesiastical traditions divide, but Christians should be able to find common ground by following the practice of the early church.
  • Names of human origin divide, but Christians should be able to find common ground by using only biblical names for the church (i.e., "Christian Church", "Church of God" or "Church of Christ" as opposed to "Methodist" or "Lutheran", etc.).
Ironically, the American Restoration Movement, has split into factions, Churches of Christ, Independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ, International Churches of Christ, and the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Other groups which can trace their origins to American Restorationism are Christadelphians, Latter Day Saints (through Sidney Rigdon), some forms of Adventism, Bible Students (Watchtower, Jehovah's Witnesses),

Does that help?
Ok, now i understand what that means. Wow, im a "restorationist" and never knew it, although it makes sense.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

mormon boy51 wrote: Ok, now i understand what that means. Wow, im a "restorationist" and never knew it, although it makes sense.
Not quite. One qualification of being a restorationist is that you must reject the label restorationist as not being a biblical or first century label. An appreciation of irony helps too.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Kuan »

McCulloch wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote: Ok, now i understand what that means. Wow, im a "restorationist" and never knew it, although it makes sense.
Not quite. One qualification of being a restorationist is that you must reject the label restorationist as not being a biblical or first century label. An appreciation of irony helps too.
Wait, I dont like irony...
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

cnorman18

Post #14

Post by cnorman18 »

I don't like irony either. I only buy wash-and-wear stuff.

One issue that I think matters is whether or not a church is hierarchical. One reason the Catholics remain (more or less) united after so long is that they have a way to settle disputes; if two factions get into a doctrinal battle, they appeal to the church hierarchy and (to oversimplify) the Pope makes a pronouncement and the matter is settled. Among Protestants and Pentecostals, what with "the priesthood of all believers," when there's a fight, one bunch often just pulls out, rents a building up the street, and adds a phrase to the name. "This is the FULL GOSPEL Foursquare Church of the Holy Baptism in the name of Jesus," which is different from the REGULAR Foursquare Church of the Holy Baptism in the name of Jesus, which was founded to distinguish itself from the Foursquare Church of the Holy Baptism in the name of the Holy Spirit, and so on. If you think I'm kidding, look in the phone book.

It's funny that we Jews are not hierarchical, and after 3,000 years or so we still have only five branches, two of them very new (post-1960) and only one is (partially) exclusivist. When we have an argument, we usually just keep arguing -- but theological doctrine isn't as centrally important for Jews as for Christians anyway.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

It comes down to one thing. How y.ou interpret the Bible.
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

rockthrower
Student

Re: different erm... branches??? of christianity

Post #16

Post by rockthrower »

sheep_lady wrote: When I was born, there was a big fight over wether I should be christened Catholic or Church of England, as a result my parents refused to christen me, and apart from RE lessons in school, I've had very little education.....if that make sense :)

I really dont understand what the differences is are between catholic/ protestant/anglican etc, if we all believe in the same one God, why do people who follow the different paths argue??

Can anyone help me?

xxx
wow! that would take a book. I would advise you,if you are sincere , to go to the word of God (NIV version) . Read all the letters written by Paul. start with Romans. Paul teaches the true philosophy of Christianity. You are simply focusing on man made religion . not a good thing. trust me.