Perfect Intelligence

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Matthew
Student

Perfect Intelligence

Post #1

Post by Matthew »

While discussing the definition of God with cnorman18. I came to the premise,that,intelligence is required if intelligence is to be produced.

Therefore,the topic of discussion will be...

1.) Do you agree with this premise?

2.) What is it that qualifies an intelligence as perfect(complete) or is such an intelligence a paradox?

3.)What might one expect to observe of such an intelligence?
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

I disagree with the premise as it can't be shown true. By standard definitions of intelligence, it's perfectly conceivable that intelligence arose from non-intelligence.

Matthew
Student

Post #3

Post by Matthew »

If it is "perfectly conceivable that intelligence arose from non-intelligence." Then,perhaps, you could enlighten me with this conception.

As to,whether or not, the premise can be shown "true". Depends,completely,upon a term which has no,well defined, "standard definition". Hence, the other questions posed.

If we can establish the necessary terms by which a perfect intelligence is qualified. Then we will effectively have created a working frame of reference by which the nature of our own intelligence may be expressed.
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

The concept of perfect intelligence seems somewhat inane to me, so I really don't have any opinions as to how it could be defined.

Not knowing your stances on topics such as cosmology, particle physics and biology, it's difficult to know where to start.

Matthew
Student

Post #5

Post by Matthew »

Physics,Mathematics and Cosmology are my specialties!
Cosmology is my religion!
The concept of perfect intelligence seems somewhat inane to me, so I really don't have any opinions as to how it could be defined.
In other words, you think it is a paradox.

How can a given level of intelligence be defined if not with respect to some
archetype? Wouldn't the existence of such an archetype constitute a definition
for perfect,or rather,complete,intelligence?

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by LiamOS »

[color=red]Matthew[/color] wrote:Physics,Mathematics and Cosmology are my specialties!
We're either going to agree the entire time, or disagree on everything, then. :P
[color=green]Matthew[/color] wrote:Cosmology is my religion!
Do you mean this figuratively?
[color=cyan]Matthew[/color] wrote:In other words, you think it is a paradox.
No. I just think that both the concept and definition of 'intelligence' are too loose and poorly understood to determine the maximum possible quantities and qualities.

Matthew
Student

Post #7

Post by Matthew »

Cosmology is my religion!

Do you mean this figuratively?

Yes, for the most part!

No. I just think that both the concept and definition of 'intelligence' are too loose and poorly understood to determine the maximum possible quantities and qualities.

So do i,but,i am still curious.

It sometimes seems as though self awareness is a direct result of imperfection. That ,self awareness is not possible for a perfect intelligence.

If this is true. Then one might conclude that intelligence is incommensurable of
itself. This would be consistent with the division of the mind into a conscious and subconscious.
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Board »

Matthew wrote:
It sometimes seems as though self awareness is a direct result of intellectual imperfection.
Can you expound on this statement?

Immediately I would disagree but want to know where you are deriving this conclusion from.

I would suggest that our self awareness is what allowed us to become more intelligent than our previous state of being as a species. The more aware we are of ourself and our surroundings, the more we have the capacity to learn and understand and reason which all fall under the umbrella of intelligence.

Matthew
Student

Post #9

Post by Matthew »

I would suggest that our self awareness is what allowed us to become more intelligent than our previous state of being as a species. The more aware we are of our self and our surroundings, the more we have the capacity to learn and understand and reason which all fall under the umbrella of intelligence.

Thus, the "previous state" is found to be imperfect with respect to the newer
state which necessitates its replacement.
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Board
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Board »

Matthew wrote:
I would suggest that our self awareness is what allowed us to become more intelligent than our previous state of being as a species. The more aware we are of our self and our surroundings, the more we have the capacity to learn and understand and reason which all fall under the umbrella of intelligence.

Thus, the "previous state" is found to be imperfect with respect to the present
state which has now come to replace it.
Correct but self awareness is not the result of "imperfect intelligence". Our "perfecting intelligence" is a result of our self awareness. We still need to define how an umbrella term like intelligence can be classified as "perfect".