Darwinism

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Portland, OR.

Darwinism

Post #1

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

People are using this word, apparently, to refer to someone who believes that the universe, the earth - man, came to be without any creative effort by God. Not true I say. Darwin wrote and spoke of the "origins of species" but never the origins of life or the universe.

Another area where agreement should be aggressively sought otherwise the mindless of endless arguing will continue, continue, continue.
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

Tetra
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Florida

Post #2

Post by Tetra »

That's right.

To my understanding, Darwinism is more about natural selection and evolution than the actual beginning of life itself.

Besides, by "species" he meant the principal natural taxonomic unit.

User avatar
Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Portland, OR.

Post #3

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

Tetra wrote:That's right.

To my understanding, Darwinism is more about natural selection and evolution than the actual beginning of life itself.

Besides, by "species" he meant the principal natural taxonomic unit.



That's right! I blame the Christians for these arguments because they go out of their way to provoke conflict with Genesis where none exists. They do this because they seem to be happiest when they can feel that they are being persecuted about something. When that is the case they can feel all warm and mushy about God and that they are defending "truth" and all that.

Now watch them folks. When they can make these two false claims then they can claim that science and Darwin are rooted in atheism and this is a big threat to America. See? See how they craft the arguments so that they become a threat to them? Christians who do this are idiots.

It was Christians who came up with the idea of "Darwinism" and to them it means there was no creation but everything came by chance from nothing. And, oh, how they have to defend God for this. But the argument is incorrectly stated of course but do you think they'd understand that and forget about it? No. As I said a moment ago, they thrive on being persecuted.

It was the Christians who came up with the idea of Evolution meaning no creation but all from nothing by chance. Just like Darwinism. Evolution does not mean that. Science might occasionally speculate about origins of things but since they cannot quantify any of those they have no theory about that at all and evolution to them means change over time on this side of the origins whatever they were. But Christians again refuse to allow that their definition is wrong and continue on with their persecution and that they have to defend the word of god....

After all this the Christians wonder why they get laughed at... It's because they act like idiots with these two issues. #-o
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

Tetra
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Florida

Post #4

Post by Tetra »

James Simmons wrote:They do this because they seem to be happiest when they can feel that they are being persecuted about something.
This. One million times this.

User avatar
Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Portland, OR.

Post #5

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

Tetra wrote:
James Simmons wrote:They do this because they seem to be happiest when they can feel that they are being persecuted about something.
This. One million times this.

Imagine a false rumor told for hundreds of years to millions of people and they all believe it because every Sunday the get it beat into their heads. Imagine then how these otherwise good folk attempt to impose this belief upon the rest of us through science education in public schools. Add to this pandering politicians, State officials and local school board members who are "believers" and what do we get?

America.... One has to wonder. #-o
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7968
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

Is this a strawman for a thread or is there some evidence on the forum that you wanted to point to? Where is your correct definition of Darwinism to even consider your view?

User avatar
Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Portland, OR.

Post #7

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

Wootah wrote:Is this a strawman for a thread or is there some evidence on the forum that you wanted to point to? Where is your correct definition of Darwinism to even consider your view?

1. I do not know what you mean by "strawman"

2. Various dictionaries define "Darwinism" as being the evolving changes in species in accordance with Darwin's observations. It is also defined in those same sources as being synonymous with "evolution".

Please note that in no source is there any reference to any beliefs regarding origin of either physical material or "life". Darwin/evolution only postulates changes in species (not origins).

The Christians however have added to this definition. They claim that darwinism/evolution claims that physical material and life are the products of chance random happenings. This is wrong. It is my belief that they ignore the proper definition in order to be able to have something to feel threatened about. It is further my belief that Christians seem to have a compulsion or a need to be able to say that atheists are threatening America or maybe even the whole world. This position that they maintain based upon a false idea of what Darwinism/evolution really means is used by them as a vehicle for preaching their beliefs and just generally being obnoxious.

I wish that at least some Christians had the ability to accept science as it is in an honest way. Science does not postulate or theorize the beginnings of anything. They cannot because they have not gotten close enough yet in their study. On occasional science refers to something called a "God particle" which should tell us all that they are not atheists after all. Few are.

Religion has always worked against God's magnificent creation by insisting that the Genesis story is correct. Yet they ignore the fact that there are two Genesis stories. They are like spoiled children insisting they, and no one else, are correct.

These debates are important to us all. The truth of what science thinks is available for anyone yet it is ignored by some. If what I claim is wrong then why don't Christians explain exactly why they think science denies God?
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

User avatar
micatala
Site Supporter
Posts: 8338
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Post #8

Post by micatala »

James Simmons wrote: Now watch them folks. When they can make these two false claims then they can claim that science and Darwin are rooted in atheism and this is a big threat to America. See? See how they craft the arguments so that they become a threat to them? Christians who do this are idiots.

After all this the Christians wonder why they get laughed at... It's because they act like idiots with these two issues. #-o

Moderator Comment

There is no real purpose to labeling people as idiots. You can argue that the group you are referring to are in error without the label.


Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

User avatar
Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:24 am
Location: Portland, OR.

Post #9

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

micatala wrote:
James Simmons wrote: Now watch them folks. When they can make these two false claims then they can claim that science and Darwin are rooted in atheism and this is a big threat to America. See? See how they craft the arguments so that they become a threat to them? Christians who do this are hard to understand.

After all this the Christians wonder why they get laughed at... It's because they act like idiots with these two issues. #-o

Moderator Comment

There is no real purpose to labeling people as idiots. You can argue that the group you are referring to are in error without the label.



Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

Everyone kindly change my wording as noted above in "bold".

Thanks

JS O:)
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

WoodyHawk Hampton
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

Post #10

Post by WoodyHawk Hampton »

Darwin wasn't trying to explain how life started. He was basically just saying "these birds over here have these beaks to eat whats over here, and those birds over there have those beaks to eat whats over there, however, these birds and those birds were (at one time) the same birds, but due to geographic isolation (ie islands in the galapagos) a portion of the ancestor group's population was separated and isolated from the majority and over a period of however many years, they adapted to the local conditions and cuisine to which they were provided, eventually developing different attributes than those developed by the majority group from which they had been isolated, providing sound evidence for my initial hypothesis (speciation via evolution and adaptation of physical characteristics and behavioral mannerisms).

How life started is far more simple than darwin's finches

primordial soup + lightning bolt = first single celled organism.

Post Reply