Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Suluby
Apprentice

Trib

Post #1

Post by Suluby »

Pre ..... mid .... post

I am looking for an overview of the subject, not a discussion on which is 'correct'.

Please consider me almost completely without knowledge on the subject .... and in need of a "Beginner's Course" in order to understand the terms that others would use in a debate on the subject.

TIA to anyone who can help.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~Oscar Wilde

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Gentle reminder that this is a place for definitions not debate.

There are differing views about what will happen (or has happened) during the Tribulation:
  • Pretribulationists believe that all Christians (dead and alive) will be taken bodily up to Heaven (called the Rapture) before the Tribulation begins. According to this belief, every true Christian that has ever existed throughout the course of the entire Christian era will be instantaneously transformed into a perfect resurrected body, and will thus escape the trials of the Tribulation. Those who become Christians after the rapture will live through (or perish during) the Tribulation. After the Tribulation, Christ will return to establish His Millennial Kingdom.
  • Prewrath Tribulationists believe the Rapture will occur during the tribulation, halfway through or after, but before the seven bowls of the wrath of God.
  • Seventh Trumpet Tribulationists believe the rapture will occur during the tribulation, halfway through or after, but before the seven bowls of the wrath of God. Specifically, at the sound of the Seventh Trumpet.
  • Midtribulationists believe that the Rapture will occur halfway through the Tribulation, but before the worst part of it occurs. The seven year period is divided into halves - the "beginning of sorrows" and the "great tribulation".
  • Posttribulationists believe that Christians will not be taken up into Heaven, but will be received or gathered by Christ into the Kingdom of God on earth at the end of the Tribulation.
  • In the Preterist view, the Tribulation took place in the past when Roman legions destroyed Jerusalem and its temple in AD 70 during the end stages of the First Jewish–Roman War, and it only affected the Jewish people rather than all mankind. Christian preterists believe that the Tribulation was a divine judgment visited upon the Jews for their sins, including rejection of Jesus as the promised Messiah. It occurred entirely in the past, around 70 AD when the armed forces of the Roman Empire destroyed Jerusalem and its temple. Preterists apply much of the symbolism in the Revelation to Rome, the Cæsars, and their persecution of Christians, rather than to the Tribulation upon the Jews.
  • The Historicist view applies Tribulation to the period known as "persecution of the saints". This is believed to have been a period after the "falling away" when papal Rome came to power for 1260 years from 538 to 1798 (using the Day-year principle). They believe that the tribulation is not a future event. Matthew's reference to "great tribulation" (Matthew 24:29) as parallel to Revelation 6:12-13, having ended when the signs and wonders began in the late 18th century. Historicists are prone to see prophecy fulfilled down through the centuries and even in today's world. Thus, instead of expecting a single Antichrist to rule the earth during a future Tribulation period, Martin Luther, John Calvin and the other Protestant Reformers saw the Antichrist as a present feature in the world of their time, fulfilled in the papacy.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Suluby
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Suluby »

Thank you!!

What is the "Day-year Principle"?

I'm going to read this again, and will probably have more questions then.

I do appreciate your efforts!

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. ~Oscar Wilde

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Suluby wrote: Thank you!!

What is the "Day-year Principle"?

I'm going to read this again, and will probably have more questions then.

I do appreciate your efforts!
Revelation 11:2-3 wrote: [font=Georgia]Leave out the court which is outside the temple and do not measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot the holy city for forty-two months. And I will grant authority to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy for twelve hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.�[/font]
Interpreters using the day-year principle read this as 1260 years not 1260 days.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Suluby
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Suluby »

Thank you again, McCulloch.