"kinds" of organisms

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

"kinds" of organisms

Post #1

Post by Nilloc James »

Frequently in the science subforum, mostly religous, members mention "kinds" of organisms. What does it mean? What is a "kind" equivalant to?

bluethread
Savant

Re: "kinds" of organisms

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Nilloc James wrote: Frequently in the science subforum, mostly religous, members mention "kinds" of organisms. What does it mean? What is a "kind" equivalant to?
The problem with your question is that it does not ask what kind means, but asks for a equivalency. This requires the Scriptures to equivicate with another understanding. Therefore, if I may, I will answer the less biased question. It is my understanding that, in the Scriptures, animals that can reproduce fertile progeny are of the same kind, i.e. even though they seem similar horses and donkeys are not of the same kind, because crossbreeding results in neuter progeny. Any similarity of this concept with those of other understandings of nature does not mean that those other understandings are equivalent.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Nilloc James »

Thank you for your answer.

No thank you for an unfounded accusation of bias on a neutral question. Not everything is part of some ideological conflict - dont make it so.

Artie
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Artie »

http://www.theistic-evolution.com/kind.html
A good explanation of biblical kinds.

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

Nilloc James wrote: Thank you for your answer.

No thank you for an unfounded accusation of bias on a neutral question. Not everything is part of some ideological conflict - dont make it so.
No offense intended. I did not mean to imply that you are biased. I was pointing out that the question is biased, because it presumes an equivalency. That implies that a translation of the term from it's proper context to a different context establishes an equivalency. That is rarely the case.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nilloc James »

bluethread wrote:
Nilloc James wrote: Thank you for your answer.

No offense intended. I did not mean to imply that you are biased. I was pointing out that the question is biased, because it presumes an equivalency. That implies that a translation of the term from it's proper context to a different context establishes an equivalency. That is rarely the case.
The word equivalence does not imply the equivocation fallacy.

the root of equivalence is equal.

What is the word equal to in modern language, particularly biological language.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Artie wrote: http://www.theistic-evolution.com/kind.html
A good explanation of biblical kinds.
from the cited explanation:
Carl Drews wrote:Conclusion

The Hebrew word for "kind" in the Bible can be very specific. Although "miyn" (Strong's Concordance H4327) may sometimes refer to a broad class of animals, it certainly also refers to animals at nearly the species level of classification.

In Leviticus and Deuteronomy the Biblical usage of "kind" refers to a recognizable species; recognizable to people living among them.[...] Biblical "kind" falls between Genus and species, and represents the level of naming used by people familiar with the plants and animals of interest.

The Biblical usage of "kind" is close to the scientific usage of "species". [...] If two populations can be reliably distinguished, then they are different Biblical "kinds".

Furthermore, Biblical macroevolution is close to the scientific definition of macroevolution. A new Biblical "kind" emerges when reproductive isolation newly separates two child populations. A new Biblical "kind" has emerged when an observant layperson can reliably tell them apart (the Adam Test). A new Biblical "kind" has emerged when Noah would have to take breeding pairs of both child populations onto the Ark, in order to preserve the existing lines of biological descent (the Noah Test). And I am not surprised by these findings, for I believe that God's Word and God's Creation are in harmony.
To a literal believer in the text of Genesis, a kind is a taxon broad enough to allow for every kind to fit on the Ark but narrow enough to allow for the micro-evolutionary development of the currently known species from only a few breeding pairs of each of those kinds within a few thousand years.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John