Tolerance

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

BwhoUR
Sage

Tolerance

Post #1

Post by BwhoUR »

I have been accused of not being tolerant to Christians who joined a neighborhood app called "Nextdoor." Nextdoor is an app where neighbors are invited to join and we communicate with each other on topics like breakins, dogs lost, things for sale, yard sale dates, recommendations for services, etc. There is no menu for "Religion" or "Politics."

One member started posting "daily bread" quotes to everyone regardless of religious affiliation or lack thereof, I objected publically and was seconded by one other neighbor and Nextdoor who told him to create a "group" and let those who are interested in joining, join and let the rest of us alone.

I received responses from some of my neighbors such as, "Must have struck a nerve" and "Keep posting your uplifting posts, they don't have to read them" and "I cannot believe your intolerance!"

Question: What is expected of the public with regards to tolerating another's religion and are there limits or is it anything goes and I just have to "co-exist" by keeping my mouth shut and letting the most outspoken or impolite religious people do whatever they like whenever they like and wherever they like?

bluethread
Savant

Re: Tolerance

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

[Replying to post 1 by suckka]

Who owns the app?

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #3

Post by BwhoUR »

[Replying to post 2 by bluethread]

Based in San Francisco, California, Nextdoor was founded in 2010 and is funded by Benchmark Capital, Greylock Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Tiger Global Management, and Shasta Ventures as well as other investors and Silicon Valley angels.

Nextdoor moderators asked them to create a "group" and they deleted all the posts, but being accused of being intolerant was a surprise for me. So my question is "what is meant by religious tolerance?" How does it present itself in real life situations such as the one I mentioned.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

suckka wrote: [Replying to post 2 by bluethread]

Based in San Francisco, California, Nextdoor was founded in 2010 and is funded by Benchmark Capital, Greylock Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Tiger Global Management, and Shasta Ventures as well as other investors and Silicon Valley angels.

Nextdoor moderators asked them to create a "group" and they deleted all the posts, but being accused of being intolerant was a surprise for me. So my question is "what is meant by religious tolerance?" How does it present itself in real life situations such as the one I mentioned.
It looks like the owners resolved the issue to their satisfaction. Regarding what is meant by "religious tolerance", people throw that phrase around all of the time. I general don't let it bother me, since it is not a crime where I live. In my opinion, it is generally just another way of saying, "Waa, Waa, that's not fair!" :wail: I do not think anyone has a right to not be offended. On this site, civility is required, because them's the rules.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #5

Post by BwhoUR »

[Replying to post 4 by bluethread]

My understanding of tolerance is that you are allowed to believe what you want and worship your god or gods or no god, I won't interfere or try to stop you until your worshipping starts infiltrating a public space or you knock on my front door.

The fact that a religion want's its people to evangelize or spread the word is going to cause problems, how can it not? It doesn't appear to me to be intolerant to say, "Hey, not here, this is everyone's space and we must behave in a way that shows respect to everyone as much as we can." But that's not how I was treated, it was more like I was being treated like I unleashed a "war on religious freedom" by, in this case, Christians. They didn't have any problem voicing to the whole neighborhood that my feelings don't matter and are in fact, something to be scoffed at, vilified and mocked.

I think it said more about them than about me, but since there are more of them, and they are my neighbors, it is troubling.

BwhoUR
Sage

Lost and Found

Post #6

Post by BwhoUR »

I mean the guy started posting in "Lost and Found." He didn't think that was a bit offensive to begin with?

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

suckka wrote: [Replying to post 4 by bluethread]

My understanding of tolerance is that you are allowed to believe what you want and worship your god or gods or no god, I won't interfere or try to stop you until your worshipping starts infiltrating a public space or you knock on my front door.

The fact that a religion want's its people to evangelize or spread the word is going to cause problems, how can it not? It doesn't appear to me to be intolerant to say, "Hey, not here, this is everyone's space and we must behave in a way that shows respect to everyone as much as we can." But that's not how I was treated, it was more like I was being treated like I unleashed a "war on religious freedom" by, in this case, Christians. They didn't have any problem voicing to the whole neighborhood that my feelings don't matter and are in fact, something to be scoffed at, vilified and mocked.

I think it said more about them than about me, but since there are more of them, and they are my neighbors, it is troubling.
Ok, since the governmental authorities where I live do not know how to maintain public assets and do not know how to write or enforce a contract, I have to pay through the nose for my utility bills. Therefore, I have decided to just stop watering and maintaining my lawn. Are my neighbors intolerant when they voice their dislike for my solution, maybe. However, I am not going to whine when they try to evangelize me into doing my "civic duty". I simply explain my reasons and call it a day. If they want to get huffy about it, I tell them to get off of my property. If I were in a gated community(app or internet site), which some where I live think it is, I would have to abide by any covenant that I signed. If I do not want uninvited people coming to my door. I will post a no trespassing sign. As I said, all this appeal to "tolerance" stuff is little more than voluntary victimhood. People have no obligation to tolerate me and I have no obligation to tolerate them. The fact that we do tolerate each other is a blessing.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #8

Post by BwhoUR »

[Replying to bluethread]

Well this is a whole new way for me to think about tolerance! It never occurred to me that the word and the deed could be so far apart in practice. I even believe the word to have been used most by progressive thinkers trying to find some way to co-exist with Christians and other faiths. Many thanks for your opinion on this topic. :)

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

suckka wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

Well this is a whole new way for me to think about tolerance! It never occurred to me that the word and the deed could be so far apart in practice. I even believe the word to have been used most by progressive thinkers trying to find some way to co-exist with Christians and other faiths. Many thanks for your opinion on this topic. :)
I know my example does not match up well with how "progressive thinkers" like to envision the concept. Tolerance of those with which one agrees or one is comfortable is not really tolerance. One tolerates something in spite of the fact that one disagrees with it or is made uncomfortable by it. Also, demanding that others be tolerant is an oxymoron. That is demanding that the other person not act on that which that other person agrees or is comfortable. In short, IMO, "progressive thinkers" don't evangelize regarding the "tolerance" gospel in favor of non-"progressives", but primarily use it as a cudgel to get those who oppose the "progressive" agenda to shut up. It is the same with the concept of "compromise". If a non-"progressive" does not "compromise" in favor of the progressive agenda, the non-"progressive" is shutting things down and being stubborn. However, when the "progressive" refuses to "compromise" away from their agenda, the non-"progressive" is also shutting things down and the "progressive" is standing on principle.