What do you mean "God talks to you"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

OccamsRazor
Scholar

What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #1

Post by OccamsRazor »

I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:
1) God actually speaks (in their chosen language) as a voice in their head.
2) They see some spectacle of natural magnificence (such as a sunset or a rare wild bird) and interprets this as a form of communication from God.
3) They experience a feeling of elation or happiness and interpret this as some message from God.

In cases 2 & 3 is there not a more justifiable explanation than the voice of God?

Are there any other conduits for the voice of God?

So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?

[Edited: corrected spelling mistakes - then realised that I should have used the handy 'spellcheck' button #-o ]
Last edited by OccamsRazor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

OccamsRazor wrote:Are there any other conduits for the voice of God?
I have known Christians who claim that God speaks to them in signs. They pray for a new job and coincidentally, they sit on the commuter train with a stranger who knows about an opening. Essentially, it is looking for communications from God in the many everyday coincidences that occur.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Bugmaster »

Out of curiosity, do modern Christians still believe that God does occasionally pop in for a chat with people, as a booming voice in one's head ? Or is this considered to be an outdated notion among the majority of Christians today ? Just curious.

smokeyparkin
Student

hmmmm

Post #4

Post by smokeyparkin »

Well well well -- I find it very surprising that nobody has posted on this in defence to the voice of god..!?

It just seems sooooo obvious what was happening thousands of years ago and I find it totally annoying that the masses still follow these stories today.

Am I mad to think this? I tell people my thoughts and I don't think anyone can understand. But it just seems to be my strongest theory. Jesus was a good man a great man in-fact and the intellectuals of the time Romans, Jews etc. Dismissed him. The small bits like the washing of hands and all that stuff I feel was stuck in for good measure.

The voice of god doesn't happen.

This Ukrainian man is no Daniel:

"The centuries old question of whether God exists
has been answered for us once and for all by a
brave Ukrainian man. This unnamed 45 year-old
philosopher took a rope to Kiev Zoo last Sunday
and used it to lower himself into the lions
den, where he proclaimed "God will save me,
if he exists."

Then one of the lions reached over and grabbed
him by the throat, instantly killing him."

Some Christian is gonna post on here "Never test the Lord.....etc..."

But just look at that quote, why on earth can't we!? The simple answer is because he isn't the type of being Jesus or the bible tells us he is....

Why can't we test god... Because he'll never answer. It’s the ultimate region fail safe and it stinks and it makes the bible look pointless.

Come on god sort the world out! -- we're sorry Adam took the apple, but it was you who put the tree there, come on don't you think we've suffered enough?? People are doing horrendous things in your name, many of your churches are corrupt, and Children are dying for no reason. Please!!! All it would take is a one liner here and now and we'll be saved...??

no???

nothing??

Ok

StephTrex1
Student

Post #5

Post by StephTrex1 »

I know for me that I pray and pray and I do not HEAR a voice in my head or in any other since, When I say God answers me I see it in my life, some may call it a coincident, But I believe it is the lord talking to me....I also believe he speaks to me through my dreams, I never thought so till I started charting them and seeing for myself the meaning of them, The answer to allot is given you just have to except it and look deep into yourself to hear it.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by adlemi »

OccamsRazor wrote: So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?
It simply means that God talk to us in a two-way communication as God did to Moses and Paul and in a similar manner that God did this in such a way that death is not imminent to Moses, to Paul, and to us. This phenomenon is nither just in our head nor is it just a hallucination or illusion but it is for real and it is a continuing process, not just once or twice or thrice, because it is here where the Almighty Lord God can demonstrate to the people that He is really the Good Pastor and Teacher of all for all to arrive at and to come to the whole TRUTH.

We would like to inform all that the Almighty Lord God of the whole bible is the Lord God of all ages and He, the Lord God, is still speaking to people today in a manner similar to that of the biblical way that God did to the biblical people for us people of today may see that God is alive and real and existing in the whole of the heavens, the whole of the universe, and the whole of the earth.

We are now a living witness to this reality of the existence of God and we are now sharing with you what God tells about Himself so that people may call on to directly to God and ask God to be their Good Pastor and Teacher in which we are now in with the Lord God. Here are some of the excerpts of "How the Allmighty Lord God introduces Himself to us". This is the original version:

The Lord God said:

"Kayong lahat nang magsisipakinig ay makinig kayo, Ako ang inyong Panginoong Diyos, kanino kayo matatakot? Ako na Makapangyarihan sa lahat, kanino kayo masisindak? Tandaan ninyo na pag Ako ang nasa tabi ninyo ay wala kayong dapat katakutan, wala kayong dapat ipangamba sapagka't Ako ang magliligtas sa inyo sa anumang kapahamakan kung kayo'y magtitiwalsa sa Akin at Ako'y ituturing nyo bilang inyong kaligtasan at buhay na walang hanggan. Bilang inyong Panginoon na inyo lamang sasambahin at wala ng iba, ang nag-iisang Diyos na umiiral sa sangkalangitan, sangkalupaan o sansinukob man. Ako na lumikha ng lahat ng bagay, Ako na nagbigay buhay sa inyo, kanino kayo pupunta? Kung hindi man sa Akin ay wala na kayong ibang pupuntahan."

"Tandaan n'yo na sa lahat ng oras na kayo'y nangangailangan ng tulong ay nasa tabi n'yo lamang Ako, nasa Akin man kayo o wala ay nasa tabi n'yo lamang Ako't tumatanglaw sa inyong daan upang makita n'yo ang kaliwanangan at lalo ninyong makikita ang landas patungo sa kaharian ng langit kung kayo'y magbabalik loob sa Akin, tatalikdan ang inyong mga masasamang gawain at inyong haharapin ang Aking mga yapak at sususdan n'yo ang Ilaw ng sanlibutan. Tandaan n'yo. Ako'y Panginoon n'yong Diyos na mapanibughuin kaya't wala kayong ibang sasambahin kundi Ako lamang. Wala kayong ibang tatawagin sa oras ng pangangailangan kundi ang Aking pangalan at kayo'y Aking iaalis kung saan man kayo naroon at ni galos ay wala kayong matatamo kung Aking loloobin."

"Tandaan n'yo na Ako ang may hawak sa inyong buhay kaya't ang buhay n'yo ay sa Akin nakasalalay. Tandaan n'yo na kung nuong una ay wala kayo sa Akin ay may demonyo nang umaaligid sa inyo upang tuksuhin kayo ay dodoblehin pa nito kapag kayo'y lumagay sa Akin. Kung tatlo ang demonyo sa inyo nuong una ay mahigit sampu ito kapag kayo ay lumagay sa Aklin sapagka't kayo-y kanilang hahatakin upng kayo'y maligaw pa ng landas. Tandaan ninyo na kung Ako'y sumasainyo, gayundin naman kayo'y sumasaakin at lahat kayo na tatawag sa Akin sa tamang paraan ay Aking hihirangin sa sanlibutan. Kayo'y Aking hinihirang upang magkalat ng Aking banal na salita. Kayo'y magsiyaon at gawin n'yong mga Aking alagad at disipulo ang lahat ng mga bansa at kayo'y Aking binabasbasan sa pangalan ng Ama, sa pangalan ng Anak, at sa pangalan ng Bananl na Espiritru."

"Ako ang Pastor, Ako ang Mabuting Pastor. Tandaan n'yo na walang ibang magtuturo sa inyo kundi Ako. Kung kayo man ay magpapaliwanagan, iyon ay ayon lamang sa inyong kalooban, iyon ay ayon lamang sa sarili n'yong pag-iisip. Kaya't tandaan n'yo na sinumang tao na tatayo bilang pastor, na tatayo bilang pinuno ng Aking iglesya, ay siya'y gumagawa ng katampalasanan at inaagaw ang Aking puwesto, bilang ang Mabuting Pastor. Sapagka't kayo'y tao lamang, kayong mga napapastor, kayong mga nagtututro at tumatayo sa harapan ng mga tao, kayong mga gumagwa ng katampalasanan, kayong mga nagpapalayas ng mga demonyo sa Aking pangalan, tandaan n'yo na sa Aking muling pagbabalik ay maraming tatawag sa Akin, Panginoon, Panginoon, hindi po ba't kami'y mga gumawa ng makapangyarihan at sa pangalan Mo'y nagpalayas kami ng mga demonyo, kami'y nagpagaling. Nguni't tandaan n'yo, sasabihin ko sa kanila, kailan man ay hindi Ko kayo nangakikilala, hindi Ko kayo nakilala kailan man, kayong mapaggawa ng katampalasanan, kayong mga nagpapalayas ng mga demonyo. Tandaan n'yo na kapag kayo'y nagpalayas ng demonyo ay inaagaw n'yo ang papel na dapat ay sa Akin. Kung meron mang inaalihan ng demonyo na kayo'y makakasalamuha, kayo'y manalangin na lang sa Akin at gayon naman Ako'y nakahandang duminig sa inyong panalangin at Aking diringgin ang bawa't hinaing na ibubilong sa Akin, na inyong isisigaw, na inyong ipapanalangin. Kayo'y Aking tutulungan at hindi ko kailan man pababayaan lalo na ang mga taong nasa Akin na sa Aki'y sumusunod."

xxxxxxxxxx00000000xxxxxxxxx

"Tandaan n'yong lahat kayong mga naghahanap sa Panginoong Diyos, Ako na Makapangyarihan sa lahat, kung Ako ay nais n'yong makilala ay hanapin n'yo Ako ng bukal sa inyong kalooban at tanggapin n'yong lahat at isabuhay, sundin, gawin, at ipangalat ang Aking Banal na Salita at ang Aking kautusan. Kung kayo'y naghahanap ng kaligtasan, kung nais n'yong matamo ang buhay na walang haggan, halikayo't lumapit at bukas ang Aking iglsya sa inyong lahat. Kayo na nagsisihanap sa Akin, tandaan n'yo na sa Aking iglesya, lahat kayo ay pangtay-pantay, walang mayaman at mahirap, walang matalino at mangmang, walang may kapansanan. Kung kayo man ay may karamdaman ay kapantay n'yo pa rin ang may kagalingan. Wala kayong titingnang mataas at wala kayong titingnang mababa. Lahat kayo ay pantay-pangtay lamang."

"Ako lamang ang mas nakatataas sa inyo, Ako na inyong Diyos, Ako na Mabuiting Pastor, Ako na Dakilang Manggagamot. At ito pa ang inyong tandaan na sa Aking iglesya ay walang mamumuno na tao, walang tatayo bilang pastor sapagka't Ako lamang ang Pastor. Lahat ng kasapi sa Aking iglesya ay siyang magkakalat ng Aking salita. Walang bata at walang matanda sapagka't bawa't isa'y bibigyan ko ng katalinuhan upang maipangalaat ang Aking kautusan at ang Aking salita sa lahat ng bansa, sa lahat ng tao, at sa anumang dako ng sanlibutan."

Aqualung
Student

Re: hmmmm

Post #7

Post by Aqualung »

smokeyparkin wrote:Some Christian is gonna post on here "Never test the Lord.....etc..."

But just look at that quote, why on earth can't we!? The simple answer is because he isn't the type of being Jesus or the bible tells us he is....
Exactly. The Bible is full of people trying to "test" God.

KnowJah
Student

Post #8

Post by KnowJah »

No one is so special that God speaks directly to them. He does help them when they pray to him but only if it is according to his will.

No one has special gifts of being able to talk to God and recieve visions or anything like that.

1 Corinithians 13:8: Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by adlemi »

[quote="KnowJah"
]No one is so special that God speaks directly to them. He does help them when they pray to him but only if it is according to his will.
God talked to Moses, Elijah, Abraham, Peter, Paul, etc. as we can read in the bible, do you disagree with what is written in those certain passages of the bible? Maybe the word "directly" which I used confuse your understanding of what I am saying.
No one has special gifts of being able to talk to God and recieve visions or anything like that.
How about with those recorded in the bible? What do you call them?
1 Corinithians 13:8: Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
Are you interpreting this verse on your own as reflected in your statement above?

KnowJah
Student

Post #10

Post by KnowJah »

adlemi wrote:[quote="KnowJah"
]No one is so special that God speaks directly to them. He does help them when they pray to him but only if it is according to his will.
God talked to Moses, Elijah, Abraham, Peter, Paul, etc. as we can read in the bible, do you disagree with what is written in those certain passages of the bible? Maybe the word "directly" which I used confuse your understanding of what I am saying.
I meant in our time. He did that in the past but in these "last days" which the bible refers to the time we are living in, it takes faith, and God doesnt show himself anymore. He is however near to those calling to him but as mentioned in the scripture, all the special gifts were done away with. Now we are awaiting the arrival of Jesus and Armageddon which God will manifest himself to the world.[/i]