What do you mean "God talks to you"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

OccamsRazor
Scholar

What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #1

Post by OccamsRazor »

I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:
1) God actually speaks (in their chosen language) as a voice in their head.
2) They see some spectacle of natural magnificence (such as a sunset or a rare wild bird) and interprets this as a form of communication from God.
3) They experience a feeling of elation or happiness and interpret this as some message from God.

In cases 2 & 3 is there not a more justifiable explanation than the voice of God?

Are there any other conduits for the voice of God?

So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?

[Edited: corrected spelling mistakes - then realised that I should have used the handy 'spellcheck' button #-o ]
Last edited by OccamsRazor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

adlemi
Apprentice

Post #31

Post by adlemi »

Sleepy wrote:Are you teaching me? If so by your own logic.....
I just want you to know that God is still speaking to people today as in the days of the old and that people must come to, study with, and learn from God himself directly, not with me, to arrive at the TRUTH and to have his own salvation and eternal life with God. You can do it by yourself right where you are now without me. God will be the One to teach you should you come to God directly, not me. Mine is just a testimonly that God is such in our life today for you to be able to experience God in the way that we do. That's all and you can forget all the others that I did tell you so that it may not be an annoyance with you. Paul did share with others what he learned from the Lord, didn't he?

topaz
Apprentice

Re: What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #32

Post by topaz »

OccamsRazor wrote:I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:
2) They see some spectacle of natural magnificence (such as a sunset or a rare wild bird) and interprets this as a form of communication from God.
3) They experience a feeling of elation or happiness and interpret this as some message from God.

In cases 2 & 3 is there not a more justifiable explanation than the voice of God?

Yes, God talks to me. Sometimes, it is a voice in my head. Sometimes, it's a thought, just a thought and i know its from him. When you're connected to someone, you do exchange thoughts. You know what the person is thinking ...

God is alive. Yes, He does talk. He's not an idol that is made of wood, stone, whatever. He is alive, He talks to us, He warns, He guides, He reveals mysteries to us ... it is a relationship between Father and child.

So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?

[Edited: corrected spelling mistakes - then realised that I should have used the handy 'spellcheck' button #-o ]

topaz
Apprentice

Re: What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #33

Post by topaz »

OccamsRazor wrote: I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:

God talks to me in these ways :
1. Voice -- I hear Him. I know it is Him, no doubts.
2. Thought -- enters my mind on anything He wants to communicate with me.
3. Dream
4. Visions
5. Prophecy

Christianity is not just a religion or a spiritual movement. It is in reality a – relationship – a Father and child relationship. This is no imagination. It is the real thing. But I caution that satan also uses these same means to talk to christians. So, the bible becomes the guiding light in this situation. Anything that is outside of scripture is a counterfeit Jesus Christ.

The catch is many christians do not know scripture. So they get deceived. I did. I learned the hard way. The bible rules.

topaz
Apprentice

Re: hmmmm

Post #34

Post by topaz »

smokeyparkin wrote: The voice of god doesn't happen.
Says who ? Just b/c you probably will never experience it, makes it an impossibility ? a lie ? I am a witness to this phenomenon. God is my Father and He does speak to me.
smokeyparkin wrote: This Ukrainian man is no Daniel:

"The centuries old question of whether God exists
has been answered for us once and for all by a
brave Ukrainian man. This unnamed 45 year-old
philosopher took a rope to Kiev Zoo last Sunday
and used it to lower himself into the lions
den, where he proclaimed "God will save me,
if he exists."

Then one of the lions reached over and grabbed
him by the throat, instantly killing him."
I think he must be mentally ill at the time of his act. Study his words -- God will save me, IF he exists ---. This tells me he is not a believer. He thinks this is some sort of science project with a formula to follow that you can put to the test.

And … you’re using an idiot to disprove God>
smokeyparkin wrote: Some Christian is gonna post on here "Never test the Lord.....etc..."
Absolutely. If you don’t agree, then by all means walk the path of the Ukrainian.
smokeyparkin wrote: But just look at that quote, why on earth can't we!? The simple answer is because he isn't the type of being Jesus or the bible tells us he is....

Why can't we test god... Because he'll never answer. It’s the ultimate region fail safe and it stinks and it makes the bible look pointless.
Ever heard of the Holy Spirit ? Go and find out who He is.
smokeyparkin wrote: Come on god sort the world out! -- we're sorry Adam took the apple, but it was you who put the tree there, come on don't you think we've suffered enough?? People are doing horrendous things in your name, many of your churches are corrupt, and Children are dying for no reason. Please!!! All it would take is a one liner here and now and we'll be saved...??

no???

nothing??

Ok
Actually, you gotta sort yourself out. Learn about God in His word before making baseless, empty statements. Asking God for a ‘one liner here and now and we'll be saved...??’ You’re like the Ukrainian except that you didn’t choose a lion’s den.

You want to be saved … go read the Holy Bible … kjv, niv versions. Anything you don’t understand, pte msg me.

topaz
Apprentice

Post #35

Post by topaz »

McCulloch wrote:
Sleepy wrote:Firstly an ex-atheist friend of mine who fervently denied the existence of God was challenged to say a prayer asking if God existed. He was surprised by an audible voice saying 'Follow me' and now works full time as an apologist. (Why I ask people if I can pray for them - I believe it works)
In both cases having asked them directly, neither of them have heard any other voices besides these instances.
You have my permission to ask your God to speak audibly and unambiguously to me. I'll let you know if something happens.
Umm … you must think you’re some big shot. I would never ask my God to prove Himself to you.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #36

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:You have my permission to ask your God to speak audibly and unambiguously to me. I'll let you know if something happens.
topaz wrote:Umm … you must think you’re some big shot. I would never ask my God to prove Himself to you.
Actually, it is not me who makes this claim. Christians claim that the Creator of the universe loves me as an individual that He cares for me and that he has sent His Son do die so that I can spend eternity with him.
Why is it that you would never ask your God to prove Himself to me? Do you disagree with your God that I am loved by God and that He wants me to be saved? Or is it that you have judged me to be arrogant and that you would rather see me in eternal torment?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice

Post #37

Post by topaz »

McCulloch wrote: Christians claim that the Creator of the universe loves me as an individual that He cares for me and that he has sent His Son do die so that I can spend eternity with him.
Claim is 100% correct. Truth. This is God-given info to you through christians. So, what are you doing about it ? You expect me to seek God FOR YOU ? You want heaven, YOU seek God.
McCulloch wrote: Why is it that you would never ask your God to prove Himself to me?
Who are you that God should prove anything to, in the first place. You are a mere man, a ‘dirty rag’ to God [scripture].Yet your words are pompous and arrogant.
McCulloch wrote: You have my permission to ask your God to speak audibly and unambiguously to me. I'll let you know if something happens.
topaz wrote: Umm … you must think you’re some big shot. I would never ask my God to prove Himself to you.
I am actually laughing at your words …. ‘audibly’, ‘unambiguously’ … any other CONDITIONS you wish to attach and dictate to God how He should go about proving Himself to your royal highness.

‘You have my permission to ask your God’ … wow ! I must seek your permission to put you on the path to heaven? No kidding. Should I even bother let alone seek your highness’s permission.

I read about that urantia book a lot here. It’s so funny and hilarious. But I’ll tell you this --- the author got his creative juices from that what … orange, green … or perhaps … more likely, the black force.
I can imagine someone like the great george lucas, making tons of money from a movie based on that book.

Didn’t Spielberg laugh all the way to the bank on the dinosaur tale. He got the whole earth spellbound, literally.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #38

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:You expect me to seek God FOR YOU ? You want heaven, YOU seek God.
You want me to believe in your God? Get him to come out of hiding.
topaz wrote:I am actually laughing at your words …. ‘audibly’, ‘unambiguously’ … any other CONDITIONS you wish to attach and dictate to God how He should go about proving Himself to your royal highness.
OK, I'll agree to remove audibly. I cannot see your objection to unambiguously. If God ambiguously showed himself to me, it really would not do much good, would it?
topaz wrote:‘You have my permission to ask your God’ … wow ! I must seek your permission to put you on the path to heaven? No kidding. Should I even bother let alone seek your highness’s permission.
That was in context of someone who claimed that he did not pray without the permission of the person being prayed for. Of course, you can pray for me without my permission. I cannot stop you. I have no desire to stop you. Go ahead. If you believe in the efficacy of prayer, then you should pray for me.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice

Post #39

Post by topaz »

McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:You expect me to seek God FOR YOU ? You want heaven, YOU seek God.
You want me to believe in your God? Get him to come out of hiding.
You have no idea what you’re missing. As I said, you want God ? Do something about it. I see christians have witnessed to you here. Now, get off your butt and help yourself. Change your pompous and rude attitude.
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:I am actually laughing at your words …. ‘audibly’, ‘unambiguously’ … any other CONDITIONS you wish to attach and dictate to God how He should go about proving Himself to your royal highness.
OK, I'll agree to remove audibly. I cannot see your objection to unambiguously. If God ambiguously showed himself to me, it really would not do much good, would it?
God would not show Himself to anybody, get real.
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:‘You have my permission to ask your God’ … wow ! I must seek your permission to put you on the path to heaven? No kidding. Should I even bother let alone seek your highness’s permission.
That was in context of someone who claimed that he did not pray without the permission of the person being prayed for. Of course, you can pray for me without my permission.
Hmm … I am sure others would pray for you. They sound so patient and sweet. Me, rather impatient and outspoken. Your attitude towards God is rude. I don’t like it. We are not here to serve the likes of you but we serve God and we would not hesitate to reach out to those who truly want to know Him. Learn this --- Father is the greatest and our attitude to Father must be with such awe and reverance, trembling and fear, knowing our sin is huge before Him. The american cop would say … your rep sheet is a mile long …
McCulloch wrote: I cannot stop you. I have no desire to stop you. Go ahead. If you believe in the efficacy of prayer, then you should pray for me.
[/quote]

LOL. No thank you. You repent before God in your attitude and perhaps I will consider. I am a kind person.

Lainey
Scholar

Post #40

Post by Lainey »

Topaz wrote:Change your pompous and rude attitude.
His pompous and rude attitude?! Let's see here--you butted in on the conversation between McCulloch and Sleepy; started throwing judgements around left, right, and centre; are being really confrontational just because McCulloch doesn't believe what you believe; and you seem to think you're better than him because of it. And he's being rude and pompous? Get thee to a mirror.

Topaz wrote:God would not show Himself to anybody, get real.
Why not?
Topaz wrote:Hmm … I am sure others would pray for you. They sound so patient and sweet. Me, rather impatient and outspoken. Your attitude towards God is rude. I don’t like it.
Aren't Christians supposed to be patient and sweet? Telling McCulloch his attitude towards God is rude is like someone telling you that your attitude towards Zeus is rude. You don't believe in Zeus, do you?
Topaz wrote:Learn this --- Father is the greatest and our attitude to Father must be with such awe and reverance, trembling and fear, knowing our sin is huge before Him.
Just weird...
Topaz wrote:LOL. No thank you. You repent before God in your attitude and perhaps I will consider. I am a kind person.
How very big of you. :roll: