What do you mean "God talks to you"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

OccamsRazor
Scholar

What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #1

Post by OccamsRazor »

I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?

As I see it this can be:
1) God actually speaks (in their chosen language) as a voice in their head.
2) They see some spectacle of natural magnificence (such as a sunset or a rare wild bird) and interprets this as a form of communication from God.
3) They experience a feeling of elation or happiness and interpret this as some message from God.

In cases 2 & 3 is there not a more justifiable explanation than the voice of God?

Are there any other conduits for the voice of God?

So the question here is: What do people mean when they say that God "talks" to them?

[Edited: corrected spelling mistakes - then realised that I should have used the handy 'spellcheck' button #-o ]
Last edited by OccamsRazor on Thu May 18, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lainey
Scholar

Post #41

Post by Lainey »

Topaz wrote:I read about that urantia book a lot here. It’s so funny and hilarious. But I’ll tell you this --- the author got his creative juices from that what … orange, green … or perhaps … more likely, the black force.
I can imagine someone like the great george lucas, making tons of money from a movie based on that book.

Didn’t Spielberg laugh all the way to the bank on the dinosaur tale. He got the whole earth spellbound, literally.
Oh yeah, and what does "Jurassic Park" have to do with the Urantia Book or this thread? :confused2:

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #42

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:God would not show Himself to anybody, get real.
Tell that to Paul.
topaz wrote:I am a kind person.
Your response belies that claim.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #43

Post by methylatedghosts »

Ok, after reading the first page I figure I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I think some - not all - coincidences is a message received from god. I had a one that rather impacted my life as I was losing interest in christianity. Basically I was praying (the only way I knew due to christianity) that I would be able to see what god was really like. To find out whether or not god was really like the bible said. The bible didn't make sense to me, and well, I felt a bit lost.

For about 2 or 3 weeks of praying about it (me talking to God), I got a reply. I was having a browse through our garage where we keep all our boxes that haven't been unpacked since our last move. Anyway, I was looking through the boxes, trying to find x-mas decorations. One box was rather heavy, and I figured "nah, won't be that, it's too heavy for decorations". So I tried pushing it back onto the shelf, but it fell down. The box was full of mums old books, but the funny thing was, only 3 fell out (no idea how that happened). I took this as a reply, and read the books, and now have based my beliefs around them.

Ok, that could have just been an extremely coincidental coincidence, but, I wouldn't go so far as to say it was just that. Pretty amazing chance I feel.

btw, I had never seen these books and didn't know the box of books existed.
Ye are Gods

Tabijanas

Re: What do you mean "God talks to you"

Post #44

Post by Tabijanas »

OccamsRazor wrote:I have seen a number of people say that God speaks to them. What do they mean?
Hello. I registered here to answer your question. :)
I believe there are other ways of understanding the meaning of some events, and leading of God in our lives. But, as to really speak to God it is possible.

Jesus when was on Earth was doing it freaquently, and from his comunication and united spirit such trust in him as what he had to gone throught a lot in his life.

I agree that there are words that people can hear in their head. But it is similar as to reading book - it is done automaticaly as to interpret what is text and make them into words with meanings. As to hear Gods thoughts, it is needed to be at peace of heart, to be calm of mind. Then giving our will to Him, that he could speak through us, and he can do it. It takes about a month of daily practice to rise your thoughts when praying for the good of others, to talking honesty what is there in your soul, and then spending dayly a few minutes listening if He has to say something, of if he will answer given question.

It may happen that various information may come from subconsciousnes, as not consciously understood information. But it may be fast recognized, as that is your thoughts or something. But when God speaks - this is words of love, wisdom, light, harmony. You will truly recognize him, as he speaks at the peace of heart. And it may come at these moments, when you feel him as Father, the same exact feeling like your material parents which you give feeling of secure, and calm atmosphere.

I have seen many diferent people getting relevations from spiritual beings, and mostly people speak to "lower" spirits, and Jesus. And there are not so many that does so as to speak really with our Father. But one of examples are here: http://www.urantija.lt/en/?pid=351 Here my friend Algimantas put some teachings that he received from Father.

That was in kind of short from me, and as you may not have been seeing something like this before, maybe you doubt or dont want to know, Im not saying more. But if you have any questions feel free to ask, as also we can discuss it in more detailed maner. It is not the matter of believing, or only knowing, we can, and other people live by that.

Thats as much from me for now :)
Be open to God's blessings, as he bless all equally.
Only it is people's mind with will to receive or to izolate from it.

Vaidas,
Lithuania.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Telepathy and God

Post #45

Post by Greatest I Am »

Much of the Bible was writen by those who say that revelation came to them while in the spirit.
I translate this as when they were in telepathic communication with the Godhead.
The Godhead is all those in heaven as well as God Himself.

I do not trust those who speak to God daily but affirm that on occasion God does communicate with us.

It only takes the once.
Even a small touch from God gives quantum amounts of data.

To me, His message was short. Think demographically.
This message shifted my focus to a more universal direction and created a rather large shift to my thinking.

The main impact thought was to affirm the existence of another realm and the existence of God.

From there the search for truth is a straighter road than the one I was on.

Regards
DL

Tabijanas

Re: Telepathy and God

Post #46

Post by Tabijanas »

Greatest I Am wrote:I do not trust those who speak to God daily but affirm that on occasion God does communicate with us.

It only takes the once.

This message shifted my focus to a more universal direction and created a rather large shift to my thinking.
I see clearnes, wisdom, and something great if people who talk with God, Jesus or some other higher spirit, that they are doing for like 40 years, 20 years, 10 years. And there are more that talk with Jesus. And as for comunicating with God, it is so that we all have his spirit inside us which is impersonal and which is here to represent God, and such part of God comes to a human mind after first moral decision in childhood, and then leads mind to whats more close to God and greater good of all.

I remember four years ago maybe, when I was at peace of mind in the morning and was not really into going into all that dayly thinking, my mind was on peace, and I felt that I can receive someone talking, and it said to me in my national language, what in english would be: "Go to 'everything/unitedness'... in your self inside... know my son... that those words would not be left in the dark";
I was really going on with spiritual practices at those years, and didnt really understood who or how was that; only after one-two years I heard what and how it works. And I practice it more. And those are words like wisdom, like telling me what I forgot to do in life like advice, he is carying and loving Father.

Its not like a lot of information sometimes, but more like support, what gives you more peace of mind, and a direction that we must go to thinking more about everyone, not just group or something. To think wide, and what you received looks similar, as to think in larger scales, deeper than surface thinking. Bless you, bye.

Greatest I Am
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Greatest I Am »

Tabijanas wrote:
Greatest I Am wrote:I do not trust those who speak to God daily but affirm that on occasion God does communicate with us.

It only takes the once.

I see clearnes, wisdom, and something great if people who talk with God, Jesus or some other higher spirit, that they are doing for like 40 years, 20 years, 10 years. And there are more that talk with Jesus. And as for comunicating with God, it is so that we all have his spirit inside us which is impersonal and which is here to represent God, and such part of God comes to a human mind after first moral decision in childhood, and then leads mind to whats more close to God and greater good of all.

I remember four years ago maybe, when I was at peace of mind in the morning and was not really into going into all that dayly thinking, my mind was on peace, and I felt that I can receive someone talking, and it said to me in my national language, what in english would be: "Go to 'everything/unitedness'... in your self inside... know my son... that those words would not be left in the dark";
I was really going on with spiritual practices at those years, and didnt really understood who or how was that; only after one-two years I heard what and how it works. And I practice it more. And those are words like wisdom, like telling me what I forgot to do in life like advice, he is carying and loving Father.

Its not like a lot of information sometimes, but more like support, what gives you more peace of mind, and a direction that we must go to thinking more about everyone, not just group or something. To think wide, and what you received looks similar, as to think in larger scales, deeper than surface thinking. Bless you, bye.
Large scale yes, but also the shape of the demographics.
Sometimes with us at the bottom, sometimes with us at the top.

My experience gave more a sence of duty than of peace. Pease of mind is a curse. We thrive on conflict. Let peace apply to our bodies only.

Regards
DL

Tabijanas

Post #48

Post by Tabijanas »

Greatest I Am wrote: My experience gave more a sence of duty than of peace. Pease of mind is a curse. We thrive on conflict. Let peace apply to our bodies only.
Yes, I agree about carying our duties and not being lazy, also not to call a conflict but situations which demands a lot of decisions are good for growth.

For some peace can be at mind, when being deef to hear our soul. To others can be peace of soul, when transcending mind but facing a lot of others reactions. By saying peace I mean, that if we are stressed of bothered by something or distracted we cant do good for others or do anything good. Peace is needed, as like for concentration for bike racers to participate well in a race. And God gives us support, love, wisdom that we could make it throught our lives and a lot of choices in life. With God everything is possible.