Define "God"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

DTho
Student

Define "God"

Post #1

Post by DTho »

In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

For example, "A fictitious human construct," or "A being than which no greater being can be conceived," or "An egomaniacal creature capable of incomprehensible violence," or "Pure Love," or what-have-you.

(Please try to come up with your own definition rather than using one of my examples; thanks).

Again, the question asks for a definition only; not a definition and following tirade . . .

-DTho

Dilettante
Sage

Defining God

Post #21

Post by Dilettante »

Your posts are all really interesting and enlightening, but I dare say they inevitably tell more about yourselves than about God. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I have read that the mystics (those who reportedly have experienced a union with God) all basically say the God is ineffable. One of them, Meister Eckhart, said "God is nothingness". What all this ineffable business means is that nothing can be predicated about God, i.e., that any sentence of the "God is x" type must necessarily be false. I personally find it impossible to satisfactorily define God, I have never had a mystical experience of the sort Theresa of Avila, John of the Cross or Meister Eckhart described, and find that the concept of God boggles the mind. Before attempting a definition perhaps we should heed the advice given by Austrian philsopher Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent". What do you think? Can humans really define (that is, put limits on) God?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Defining God

Post #22

Post by bernee51 »

Dilettante wrote:Your posts are all really interesting and enlightening, but I dare say they inevitably tell more about yourselves than about God. I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I have read that the mystics (those who reportedly have experienced a union with God) all basically say the God is ineffable. One of them, Meister Eckhart, said "God is nothingness". What all this ineffable business means is that nothing can be predicated about God, i.e., that any sentence of the "God is x" type must necessarily be false. I personally find it impossible to satisfactorily define God, I have never had a mystical experience of the sort Theresa of Avila, John of the Cross or Meister Eckhart described, and find that the concept of God boggles the mind. Before attempting a definition perhaps we should heed the advice given by Austrian philsopher Wittgenstein: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent". What do you think? Can humans really define (that is, put limits on) God?
Interesting post Dilettante. The idea of god=nothingness is a very very old concept, predateing christianity by millennia. It is very much part of Vedantic philosophy.

My belief is that religious dogma, attempts to define god and pathways to some sort of salvation are a smokescreen, illusion. To accept that not only is god nothingness but nothingness is all there is, is a pretty confronting thought. Yet accepting that thought, accepting the impermance of the phenomenal world is the key to true freedom from the attachments that are the cause cause of suffering (and if you like, sin).

And there is a way to move towards this freedom. Whether or not it is attainable is another question.

Cashro

What God is

Post #23

Post by Cashro »

How any one person could say that there exists only one God is absolute ingorant. Throughout history many different people believed that many Gods existed, Native americans for example have many many Gods that they believe rule over all the Earth. Why would Christianity be correct and not polytheism? There are so many types of religions out there that to say there is only one true"God" is the beginning of ignorance. I believe that all Gods were created during early civilizations to explain what they could not. Early cultures had no knowledge of how a volcano or earthquake happened so it mus be an angry God, this notion is pure poppycock. Now a days to think that people still believe in such a thing and create wars over them is insane. If we all just believed what we wanted to and never go to a church or temple, then the world could possibly be much more peaceful. To me God means ingnorance among a group of uneducated human who could no longer explain the natural events that happen around them, ie earthquakes, lightning, and rain. If God was this powerful as people say, then why is the pope going to the hospital for science, when the holiest man on earth could simply ask God for a cure?To me that proves that any hope of God's existence is shattered. I mean the Pope accually looking to science for answers. How could this be, a man of his stature with a Christian God would surely be cured by God's hands, would he not. If he is the one to lead on Christianity in today's world, then why would he need science to help his condition. shouldn't he just pray and be relieved of all his ailments? I think that the very notion of a God or of Gods is a crutch that people can hold onto in their times of need. They don't blame God for 9/11 or for the tsunami but they praise him when Shaq or Kobe won the NBA Finals. The losing team never blames God for the loss. So I simply think that the idea of a God is a crutch people hold onto in order to fulfill a void in their own life.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Tom Harper's response

Post #24

Post by McCulloch »

Tom Harper said, and I cannot find the reference right now, "I do not define God. God defines me."

This thought is similar to the poster above who thought that any definition of God limited God, therefore, one should not attempt to define God.

To me, this is a cop out. If you cannot define a term, then with all integrity, you cannot use the term.

A conversation:
X: God exists. God loves me. God is wonderful.
A: What is God?
X: God cannot be defined.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Tom Harper's response

Post #25

Post by bernee51 »

McCulloch wrote:Tom Harper said, and I cannot find the reference right now, "I do not define God. God defines me."

This thought is similar to the poster above who thought that any definition of God limited God, therefore, one should not attempt to define God.

To me, this is a cop out. If you cannot define a term, then with all integrity, you cannot use the term.

A conversation:
X: God exists. God loves me. God is wonderful.
A: What is God?
X: God cannot be defined.
McC...to define is to confine...god is believed by beleivers to be 'infinite' i.e. without confinement. A god defined is no god.

StillLearning

Good Work! You Must Have Passion To Debate.

Post #26

Post by StillLearning »

Here is my definition:

One of two mathematically groups you choose to LOVE with your free will.
You are free to LOVE GOD or LOVE OTHERS, or all of the above. Although I have to admit the 1st group is easier than the 2nd.
Either way the choice is totally yours. No one can choose for you.

Or, an alternative definition could be the ultimate BOSS. The only one you will ever bow down to as your teacher / master. The one you cannot outsmart. Instead he is the one who teaches you. He s.h.a.p.e.s you into the superhero you are meant to become if you choose to accept his lessons.

I like your determination to make it a debate. If you LOVE someone you must have some bit of passion to argue / debate on their behalf.
Otherwise you are simply "luke warm".

Very clever lesson.

Keep learning / seeking ... don't give up. He already found you. You just need to find him!
:D

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Good Work! You Must Have Passion To Debate.

Post #27

Post by McCulloch »

StillLearning wrote:Here is my definition:
One of two mathematically groups you choose to LOVE with your free will.
The meaning of this sentence is very hard to determine. What are "two mathematically groups"?
StillLearning wrote:You are free to LOVE GOD or LOVE OTHERS, or all of the above. Although I have to admit the 1st group is easier than the 2nd. Either way the choice is totally yours. No one can choose for you.
You lost me on this one. In what way is this a definition of god?
StillLearning wrote:Or, an alternative definition could be the ultimate BOSS. The only one you will ever bow down to as your teacher / master. The one you cannot outsmart. Instead he is the one who teaches you. He s.h.a.p.e.s you into the superhero you are meant to become if you choose to accept his lessons.
This may be a metaphor or a description but it is a long way from being a definition. Is there some significance to the periods in throughout the word shapes?

StillLearning

Post #28

Post by StillLearning »

Actually the original question / directions was:
In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

Note the key phrase "your definition". So it is a definition because I was asked what is "mine own definition" of God. The concept of free will is important in the way the original question was posed. The question was asking for of us to submit our own definitions. Which is simply what I did.

For example, the question wasn't what is the websters dictionary definition of God or what do you want other people to say God is. I believe the question was posed that way to analyze each individual's definition of God to discern (I suspect) if we are all talking about the same entity but just using different words to describe him.

Other notable definitions by other people are:
God = The Trinity
(1) Heavenly Father - the one who is controlling everything, everywhere, created all of us, and loves all of us unconditionally.
(2) Jesus- where God became man and was willing to prove he loved us to those who otherwise wouldn't believe God loves them.
(3) Holy Ghost - the spirit you invite inside you that acts as a helper to guide you in making decisions each day.

I agree with those definitions. But again the question was what was my definition. So that is how I answered.

It is easier for me to define God as a choice of action word (a verb) rather than a noun. In other words, if someone asked you to define your parents it might be easier to say they are the ones that 1st loved you and then later you decided to love them back because you could see they exist and they love you.

In math you can organize entities or things into groups (i.e. boolean sets or groups). So when it comes to groups you may potentially Love there are only 2 sets or groups that I am aware of.
Group 1 - God
Group 2 - Everybody else including yourself.

The acronoym s.h.a.p.e.d stands for
(S)kills
(H)abits
(A)bilities
(P)ersonality
(E)xperiences
which implies a shaping or molding by God to prepare you for 1 or more great purposes and goals in life. You can read more at http://www.PurposeDriven.com if you are interested.

Anyway that's my opinion on my definition. I guess it is a lot more than 1 sentence.
Last edited by StillLearning on Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adlemi
Apprentice

Re: Define "God"

Post #29

Post by adlemi »

DTho wrote:In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

For example, "A fictitious human construct," or "A being than which no greater being can be conceived," or "An egomaniacal creature capable of incomprehensible violence," or "Pure Love," or what-have-you.

(Please try to come up with your own definition rather than using one of my examples; thanks).

Again, the question asks for a definition only; not a definition and following tirade . . .

-DTho
The Lord God is our salvation and eternal life.

The Lord God said:

"All of you who will listen, do listen. I Am your Lord God, to whom will you be afraid of? I, as the Almighty One, to whom will you be frightened with? Keep in your mind that if I Am the One beside you, you have nothing to fear of, you have nothing to worry about because I Am the One to get you out of any tragedy should you put your trust in Me and if you will treat Me as your salvation and eternal life. Being your Lord that you will only worship and nothing more, the only One God who is existing in the whole of the heaven, the whole of the earth, and the whole of the universe either. I who created all things, I who give life to you, to whom will you go with? If not to Me you have no other to go with."

StillLearning

Re: Define "God"

Post #30

Post by StillLearning »

DTho wrote:In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

-DTho
Sorry I get a bit wordy sometimes.

Here is a shorter, single sentence definition:
God = An entity that appears in 3 ways (a.k.a Trinity) who is defined as;
(1) Heavenly Father - the one who is controlling everything, created all of us, and loves all of us unconditionally,
(2) Jesus- where God became man and was willing to prove he loved us by acting as a sacrifice to those who otherwise wouldn't believe God loves them,
(3) Holy Spirit- the spirit you invite inside with your own free will to act as a helper for communication and daily life decision making.
Live strong, LOVE well! :D