Define "God"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

DTho
Student

Define "God"

Post #1

Post by DTho »

In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

For example, "A fictitious human construct," or "A being than which no greater being can be conceived," or "An egomaniacal creature capable of incomprehensible violence," or "Pure Love," or what-have-you.

(Please try to come up with your own definition rather than using one of my examples; thanks).

Again, the question asks for a definition only; not a definition and following tirade . . .

-DTho

topaz
Apprentice

Post #51

Post by topaz »

Hello McCulloch

After my last reply to you, I switched off the pc and went to bed. As I lay down, it became obvious that you, McCulloch are 2 entities. The human and a spirit. It is clear that the spirit is addressing me, cunningly deceiving me to believe that I am actually talking to a human.

In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I command you, spirit, to reveal yourself.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:1- You’re deviating from this thread. You must create a new thread if you persist on arguing over names of scientists.
You are correct. I was simply reacting to your lies and ignorance.
topaz wrote:2- Are you trying to impress me with your cut n past of some names. B/c this isn’t going to help you when you come before the throne of God.
No, I was not trying to impress you. I was trying to use evidence to show that your assertion was false.
topaz wrote:3- You don’t need to trust my interpretations. Rebut me. I’ll take you on.
I post in many threads, go ahead.
topaz wrote:4- You’ve proven to me your inability to fathom simple teachings in scripture that you quote so eagerly to disprove me. Not at all impressive.
I could say that you've not proven your ability to answer my responses.

Which gets us back onto the topic of this thread. You said that God is synonymous with Love. It is not. Synonyms are words that have the same meaning. Love means one thing, God another. They are not the same.
topaz wrote:5- You hate God and you hate His people … and … you hate even more when I say God = Love.
I cannot hate God. I do not think that God exists. You disagree, I realize, but saying that I hate God would be like saying that you hate unicorns (assuming you disbelieve in unicorns KJV notwithstanding ;) ). As a Humanist, I hate what the idea of God has done to humanity, but that is a different thing.
topaz wrote:6- It is unfortunate that you’ve detached yourself from the only living entity that is the source of true LOVE. I will not ask why you choose to apostatize. However, it’s a bad choice and the hate that you spread will eventually destroy you. I caution you to step back and calm down.
Yet you've given me no evidence or reason to return.
topaz wrote:After my last reply to you, I switched off the pc and went to bed. As I lay down, it became obvious that you, McCulloch are 2 entities. The human and a spirit. It is clear that the spirit is addressing me, cunningly deceiving me to believe that I am actually talking to a human.

In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I command you, spirit, to reveal yourself.
Let me check. Two hands, two feet, face, beard, hair, torso, legs, teeth, eyes. Yes, I am still human. However, if you want me to reveal myself to you on the internet, you are mistaken. I only take my clothes off for my wife and my doctor.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #53

Post by Wyvern »

2- Are you trying to impress me with your cut n past of some names. B/c this isn’t going to help you when you come before the throne of God.
So lets see, you were shown to be incorrect and instead of doing a simple mea culpa you come back with this? Who do you think will be seen in a better light before your lord, the one that tells the truth or the one that is willing to bear false witness? If your god doesn't mind you lying for him... oh wait isn't Satan called the father of lies? Think about who you are really serving by lying.
3- You don’t need to trust my interpretations. Rebut me. I’ll take you on.
I was the first to rebut you, you followed it up with an even more outragious lie. How did you react, you went for the final outcome argument. You really need to go to confession and remember not to commit the same sin again.
5- You hate God and you hate His people … and … you hate even more when I say God = Love.
I think it's more a case of you hate all things that are not as you. Considering how much hate you have in your own heart I don't see how you would even be able to see love if it kicked you in the face much less the all encompassing love that is gods.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:My definition for God is a synonym really .... GOD = LOVE period.
Perhaps you do not understand the word synonym. Two words that can be interchanged in a context are said to be synonymous relative to that context. You have claimed that God and Love are synonyms. These passages do not mean the same thing when God and Love are interchanged in context. Therefore, God is not synonymous with Love. Period.
Leviticus 25:17 wrote:So you shall not wrong one another, but you shall fear your God; for I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 25:17 as if Love and God are synonymous as topaz claims wrote:So you shall not wrong one another, but you shall fear your Love; for I am the LORD your Love.
Psalm 139:21-25 wrote:Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
I hate them with the utmost hatred;
They have become my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.
Psalm 139:21-25 as if Love and God are synonymous as topaz claims wrote:Do I not hate those who hate You, O LOVE?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against love?
I hate them with the utmost hatred;
They have become my enemies.
Search me, O Love, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.
Nahum 1:2 wrote:A jealous and avenging God is the LORD;
The LORD is avenging and wrathful
The LORD takes vengeance on His adversaries,
And He reserves wrath for His enemies.
Nahum 1:2 as if Love and God are synonymous as topaz claims wrote:A jealous and avenging Love is the LORD;
The LOVE is avenging and wrathful
The LOVE takes vengeance on His adversaries,
And love reserves wrath for love's enemies.
Gospel of John

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #55

Post by bernee51 »

topaz wrote:Hello McCulloch

After my last reply to you, I switched off the pc and went to bed. As I lay down, it became obvious that you, McCulloch are 2 entities. The human and a spirit. It is clear that the spirit is addressing me, cunningly deceiving me to believe that I am actually talking to a human.

Are these the same powerful demons that were possessing the autistic person you referred to previously...or different ones?

Is McC, autistic too? Is he jewish?

So many questions....

:-k
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

methylatedghosts
Sage

Re: Define "God"

Post #56

Post by methylatedghosts »

DTho wrote:In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

For example, "A fictitious human construct," or "A being than which no greater being can be conceived," or "An egomaniacal creature capable of incomprehensible violence," or "Pure Love," or what-have-you.

(Please try to come up with your own definition rather than using one of my examples; thanks).

Again, the question asks for a definition only; not a definition and following tirade . . .

-DTho
My definition of God. I can't be sure if I already replied to this, but after discussing with bernee51 in another thread, I came up with a new definition that I will be using from now (unless a better one comes up).

God is.

That is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

God is the "Am/Am-not". The Here and There. The Up and Down. The Left and Right. The Everything and Nothing.
topaz wrote: Hello McCulloch

Wow. You honestly believe that don't you?
Ye are Gods

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #57

Post by McCulloch »

methylatedghosts wrote:My definition of God.
God is.

God is the "Am/Am-not". The Here and There. The Up and Down. The Left and Right. The Everything and Nothing.
In that case, I believe in God.

But wait, we already have a word for what is. Existence. I believe in existence. Don't we all?
Gospel of John

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #58

Post by methylatedghosts »

McCulloch wrote:
methylatedghosts wrote:My definition of God.
God is.

In that case, I believe in God.

But wait, we already have a word for what is. Existence. I believe in existence. Don't we all?
Sure. That works :D Whatever you see as true for you is right.
Ye are Gods

topaz
Apprentice

Post #59

Post by topaz »

Hi McCulloch

You want me to explain why I say God = Love. Here goes :

To my mind, I know God as Love. He is the antithesis of hate.

1- In my own experience, He saved me from a pit I was in. This, to me, is LOVE.

2- When I read scripture, I see a loving God. Didn’t He create paradise Eden for our race ? Weren’t we immortals ? Did we have to work for food in Eden?

3- After sin entered our race, didn’t He send Jesus Christ, His Word made flesh, to die on the cross FOR OUR SINS ? So that today, anyone who puts his faith in Christ is saved and is promised eternal life. Is this love or hate ?

The foll. verses that you put up make for poor argument against the synonym God = Love. It actually show God’s LOVE.

Leviticus 25:17 Ye shall not therefore oppress one another; but thou shalt fear thy God: for I am the LORD your God.
God is love : He says do not bully, take advantage, or vex another. This, to me, is LOVE.

Nahum 1:1-2 The burden of Nineveh. The book of the vision of Nahum the Elkoshite. 2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on his adversaries, and he reserveth wrath for his enemies.

If you know the story of Nineveh, you’ll see God is love b/c He did not destroy them when they repent of their sins in ashes and sackcloth. Jonah knew that God is love and that is why he escaped from God instead of going to Nineveh to proclaim God’s wrath on the Ninevites, that God is going to destroy the city of Nineveh. Jonah knew that if they repent, God would not destroy them as He said He would.

Reference : Read the book of Jonah.

Scripture is filled with accounts of God’s love. God is love to those who follow His ways. God is hate to the wicked, who oppose Him. They do not follow His ways. They are His enemies. He becomes a destroyer to them. I guess you belong to the latter group. You don’t even believe in His existence. Tell this to Him when you stand before His throne on that day. Tell Him … “I see no evidence of you … until now.”

topaz
Apprentice

Post #60

Post by topaz »

bernee51 wrote:
topaz wrote:Hello McCulloch

Are these the same powerful demons that were possessing the autistic person you referred to previously...or different ones?

Is McC, autistic too? Is he jewish?

So many questions....

:-k
bernee, no they are not the same demons that you refer to above. I have never encountered demons as powerful as those in that autistic person mentioned above.

I know McC isn’t autistic. I don’t know if he’s jewish. But I do know that there is a spirit in him hiding, doesn’t want to make himself known … well too bad, …. I’ve seen you, spirit. All that hate is not from McC’s heart but the spirit’s period.

Although this is the internet and we speak to people w/o seeing them, yet we can know things about them like I spoke about McC. I have been on the internet long enough to understand that anything or anyone can be out there … on the other end … speaking to me.

This being a christian forum, you can bet there are many of them here. It is a matter of time before I’ll discover them. The good thing is, they don’t keep quiet. Halleluia !