Define "God"

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
DTho
Student
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:23 am
Location: WA

Define "God"

Post #1

Post by DTho »

In a single sentence (if possible), please provide your definition of the word/term/concept: "God."

For example, "A fictitious human construct," or "A being than which no greater being can be conceived," or "An egomaniacal creature capable of incomprehensible violence," or "Pure Love," or what-have-you.

(Please try to come up with your own definition rather than using one of my examples; thanks).

Again, the question asks for a definition only; not a definition and following tirade . . .

-DTho

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #41

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:My apologies people. It is another jew, isaac newton NOT einstein. Sorry. LOL.
Wyvern wrote:Why must you continue to lie? Newton was not a jew, in fact his college post required him to be a qualified anglican minister.
Wyvern, Isaac is a Jewish name. Newton must have been a closet Jew! Did he have some Jewish forebearers? You really should check your sources before posting :whistle: .
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 am

Post #42

Post by topaz »

Wyvern wrote:
topaz wrote:My apologies people. It is another jew, isaac newton NOT einstein. Sorry. LOL.
Why must you continue to lie? Newton was not a jew, in fact his college post required him to be a qualified anglican minister. It should also be noted that through years of study and analysis of the scriptures Newton arrived at the fact that the trinity was a false teaching. On another note it is true that Newton wrote more on religious matters than he did the scientific, he also wrote more on alchemy than either of those two subjects.
Fine, so he’s not a jew but I thought he was .. his name … anyway, it was not intended as a lie. You know it. So stop being so quarrelsome. Other than the post I recd about newton and the bible code, I really have no interest in him. I know from the post that was sent to me, that newton was a christian and I may be wrong, but it was written as if he was a jew… anyway … I’m not going to argue this.

My interest is in scripture and I gave a wrong ref. I have corrected this. So, move on.

Sorry, folks.

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #43

Post by McCulloch »

Let's see what Topaz has taught us about the subject of this thread:
topaz wrote:My definition for God is a synonym really .... GOD = LOVE period.
McCulloch wrote:What a meaningless answer!That makes as much sense as its rebuttal:
Love is not jealous 1 Cor 13
God is jealous Ex 20
Therefore, God is not Love.
So do not answer with meaningless clichés, please.
topaz wrote:We pray to a living God. LIVING means alive means He talks to us. He guides us in life.
Actually, living has a different meaning. Usually in involves having the ability to react to stimuli, biological reproduction etc.
topaz wrote:I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
topaz wrote:God is not capable of making mistakes.
This then rules out the God of the Bible who caused a great worldwide flood to remove his mistake.
topaz wrote:Actually, I am glad Father God guides me and is there to make sure I don’t break my bones when I play with the slide at the playground. It gives me mental peace.
And for the fellow who does break his bones, well, there must not be a God for him.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 am

Post #44

Post by topaz »

Hello McCulloch
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:My definition for God is a synonym really .... GOD = LOVE period.
McCulloch wrote:What a meaningless answer!That makes as much sense as its rebuttal:
Love is not jealous 1 Cor 13
God is jealous Ex 20
Therefore, God is not Love.
So do not answer with meaningless clichés, please.
It is unfortunate that some just can’t figure out scripture. They paste contradicting bible verses to prove a point. The truth is, it reveals their confusion and really, they cannot put 2 and 2 together … what a pity.

I said in another thread that we must kill if God commands us to. Then you put up a relevant verse that says we must turn the other cheek. I went on to show you that your u/standing of turning the other cheek is simply not u/standing scripture in its true light. I gave you other situations to show you that you misunderstood scripture.

Here, you’re repeating the same trend.
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote: We pray to a living God. LIVING means alive means He talks to us. He guides us in life.
Actually, living has a different meaning. Usually in involves having the ability to react to stimuli, biological reproduction etc.

Aren’t we all opinionated ?
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote: I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
Oh well, … if you say so …
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote: God is not capable of making mistakes.
This then rules out the God of the Bible who caused a great worldwide flood to remove his mistake.
Again, no understanding on your part. God makes no mistakes. Simple. The flood teaches me that the human specie is extremely wicked, it charters a course reflective of the fallen angels. God give us chances. There is a time to live, there is a time to die.
McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote: Actually, I am glad Father God guides me and is there to make sure I don’t break my bones when I play with the slide at the playground. It gives me mental peace.
And for the fellow who does break his bones, well, there must not be a God for him.
That is your assumption. The fellow who denies God ends up with broken bones b/c there is none to look out for him. Remember, he choose to deny God, he makes his own bed, he must lie on it.

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #45

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:My definition for God is a synonym really .... GOD = LOVE period.
McCulloch wrote:What a meaningless answer![...]
So do not answer with meaningless clichés, please.
Did I miss where you answered this?
topaz wrote:We pray to a living God. LIVING means alive means He talks to us. He guides us in life.
McCulloch wrote:Actually, living has a different meaning. Usually in involves having the ability to react to stimuli, biological reproduction etc.
For spiritual purposes, I suppose, the word living has been redefined.
topaz wrote:I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
McCulloch wrote:Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
topaz wrote:Oh well, … if you say so …
No, not my say so. I was referring to the errors in fact that you made with regard to Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton and did not correct immediately when the errors were pointed out. These errors were not ones what any reasonably educated person would have made.
topaz wrote:God is not capable of making mistakes.
McCulloch wrote:This then rules out the God of the Bible who caused a great worldwide flood to remove his mistake.
topaz wrote:Again, no understanding on your part. God makes no mistakes. Simple. The flood teaches me that the human specie is extremely wicked, it charters a course reflective of the fallen angels. God give us chances. There is a time to live, there is a time to die.
So God repented of his non-mistake. My bad.
topaz wrote:Actually, I am glad Father God guides me and is there to make sure I don’t break my bones when I play with the slide at the playground. It gives me mental peace.
McCulloch wrote:And for the fellow who does break his bones, well, there must not be a God for him.
topaz wrote:That is your assumption. The fellow who denies God ends up with broken bones b/c there is none to look out for him. Remember, he choose to deny God, he makes his own bed, he must lie on it.
My point is that I do not think that it can be shown that those with faith suffer fewer broken bones than those without. Your argument seems to indicate that if you break bones that you must not have faith. Because, if you had faith, then you would have a Father God watching over you and protecting your bones.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 am

Post #46

Post by topaz »

McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
McCulloch wrote:Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
topaz wrote:Oh well, … if you say so …
No, not my say so. I was referring to the errors in fact that you made with regard to Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton and did not correct immediately when the errors were pointed out. These errors were not ones what any reasonably educated person would have made.
heck … I don’t ‘study’ einstein or newton or some other jews. I confuse their names … big deal. I know most famous scientists are jews, anyway.

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #47

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
McCulloch wrote:Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
topaz wrote:Oh well, … if you say so …
McCulloch wrote:No, not my say so. I was referring to the errors in fact that you made with regard to Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton and did not correct immediately when the errors were pointed out. These errors were not ones what any reasonably educated person would have made.
topaz wrote:heck … I don’t ‘study’ einstein or newton or some other jews.
That much is quite apparent.
topaz wrote:I confuse their names … big deal.
Most educated people do not confuse the names of Einstein and Newton. These two are both giants in their fields. Furthermore, most educated people would not claim that Newton was Jewish, he clearly was not.
topaz wrote:I know most famous scientists are jews, anyway.
You demonstrate your ignorance again.

Here is a list of famous theoretical physicists:
  • Pythagoras - pagan
  • Archimedes - pagan
  • Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) - Christian
  • Galileo Galilei (1564–1642) - Christian
  • Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) - Christian
  • René Descartes (1596–1650) - Christian
  • Isaac Newton (1642-1727) - Christian
  • Gottfried Leibniz(1646–1716) - Christian
  • Joseph Lagrange (1736-1813) - Christian
  • Joseph Fourier (1768–1830) - Christian
  • Thomas Young (1773–1829) - Quaker
  • William Hamilton (1805-1865) - Christian
  • Hermann von Helmholtz (1821–1894) - Christian
  • James Clerk Maxwell (1831–1879) - Christian
  • Ernst Mach (1838–1916) -
  • J. Willard Gibbs (1839–1903) - Christian
  • Ludwig Boltzmann (1844–1906) - Christian
  • Heinrich Hertz (1857-1894) - father converted from Judaism to Lutheranism and married into a Lutheran family
  • Hendrik Lorentz (1853–1928) - Christian
  • Henri Poincaré (1854–1912) - Christian
  • Max Planck (1858-1947) - His paternal great-grandfather and grandfather were both theology professors in Göttingen
  • Pieter Zeeman (1865-1943) - the Dutch Reformed Church
  • Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)
  • James Jeans (1877–1946) - Christian
  • Paul (1880–1933) & Tatyana (1876–1964) Ehrenfest - Jewish
  • Richard Tolman (1881-1948)
  • Emmy Noether (1882–1935)
  • Albert Einstein (1879-1955) - Jewish
  • Max Born (1882-1970) - He married Hedwig, née Ehrenberg, who was of Jewish descent (although a practising Christian)
  • Niels Bohr (1885-1962) - his mother, Ellen Adler Bohr, came from a wealthy Sephardic Jewish family, his father was Christian
  • Erwin Schrödinger (1887-1961) - His father was a Catholic and his mother was a Lutheran
  • Louis de Broglie (1892–1987) - Christian
  • Satyendra Bose (1894–1974) - Hindu
  • Leo Szilard (1898–1964) - Jewish
  • Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958) - Three of his four grandparents were Jewish but was raised as a Roman Catholic
  • Enrico Fermi (1901-1954) - Christian
  • Ettore Majorana (1906-1938) -
  • Werner Heisenberg (1901-1976) - by all accounts was loyal to Germany, but not the Nazi regime
  • Paul Dirac (1902-1984) - Christian
  • Robert Oppenheimer (1904–1967) - of Jewish descent but they did not observe the religious traditions.
  • George Gamow (1904–1968) -
  • Hans Bethe (1906–2005) - Christian father and a Jewish mother. He was raised a Christian
  • Lev Davidovich Landau (1908–1968) - Cannot find information, but I might guess Jewish
  • John Bardeen (1908-1991)
  • José Enrique Moyal (1910-1998)
  • Richard Feynman 1918-1988) - his parents were Jewish
  • Abdus Salam (1926-1996)- Ahmadiyya Muslim
  • Revaz Dogonadze (1931-1985) -
  • John Wheeler (1911-)
  • Yoichiro Nambu (1921–) - Japanese born
  • Chen Ning Yang (1922–) - 楊振寧 - Chinese
  • Martin Gutzwiller (1925-)
  • Peter Higgs (1929-)
  • Roger Penrose (1931-)
  • Sheldon Glashow (1932-)
  • Steven Weinberg (1933-) - "Religion is an insult to human dignity. "
  • Martinus Veltman (1937-) -
  • Kip Thorne (1940-) - born in Utah
  • David Gross (1941-)
  • Stephen Hawking (1942-)
  • V. Balakrishnan (1943-) - From India
  • Gerardus 't Hooft (1946-)
  • Michio Kaku (1947–) - Born in the USA of Japanese ancestry
  • Edward Witten (1951-)
  • David Deutsch (1953-) - He is an atheist.
  • Brian Greene (1963-)
  • Juan Maldacena (1968-)
  • Tom Kibble
  • Ashoke Sen (1956-) - Native of India not likely Jewish
  • Harold Puthoff
  • Mark Roberts
  • Gerald Rothberg
  • Sankar Das Sarma
Purists please note, in the above list "Christian" may not mean practicing or believing Christian but of Christian ancestry.

There are 73 names on this list. If your claim that most famous scientists are jews is correct, there should be 37 Jews. Even discounting conversion, I count ten and I'll give you Lev Davidovich Landau and Steven Weinberg because of their names. You have perhaps twelve Jews on the list. Please show that 25 more on this list are Jewish, or provide some other evidence to back up your racist assertion.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 am

Post #48

Post by topaz »

McCulloch wrote:
topaz wrote:I thought it is the educated who believe in God while the less educated look at science to disprove God.
McCulloch wrote:Topaz then goes on to demonstrate that he is not among the educated.
topaz wrote:Oh well, … if you say so …
McCulloch wrote:No, not my say so. I was referring to the errors in fact that you made with regard to Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton and did not correct immediately when the errors were pointed out. These errors were not ones what any reasonably educated person would have made.
topaz wrote:heck … I don’t ‘study’ einstein or newton or some other jews.
That much is quite apparent.
topaz wrote:I confuse their names … big deal.
Most educated people do not confuse the names of Einstein and Newton. These two are both giants in their fields. Furthermore, most educated people would not claim that Newton was Jewish, he clearly was not.
topaz wrote:I know most famous scientists are jews, anyway.
You demonstrate your ignorance again.

Here is a list of famous theoretical physicists:
  • Pythagoras - pagan
  • Archimedes - pagan
  • Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1543) - Christian
  • Galileo Galilei (1564–1642) - Christian
  • Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) - Christian
  • René Descartes (1596–1650) - Christian
  • Isaac Newton (1642-1727) - Christian
  • Gottfried Leibniz(1646–1716) - Christian
  • Joseph Lagrange (1736-1813) - Christian
  • Joseph Fourier (1768–1830) - Christian
  • Thomas Young (1773–1829) - Quaker
  • William Hamilton (1805-1865) - Christian
  • Hermann von Helmholtz (1821–1894) - Christian
  • James Clerk Maxwell (1831–1879) - Christian
  • Ernst Mach (1838–1916) -
  • J. Willard Gibbs (1839–1903) - Christian
  • Ludwig Boltzmann (1844–1906) - Christian
  • Heinrich Hertz (1857-1894) - father converted from Judaism to Lutheranism and married into a Lutheran family
  • Hendrik Lorentz (1853–1928) - Christian
  • Henri Poincaré (1854–1912) - Christian
  • Max Planck (1858-1947) - His paternal great-grandfather and grandfather were both theology professors in Göttingen
  • Pieter Zeeman (1865-1943) - the Dutch Reformed Church
  • Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)
  • James Jeans (1877–1946) - Christian
  • Paul (1880–1933) & Tatyana (1876–1964) Ehrenfest - Jewish
  • Richard Tolman (1881-1948)
  • Emmy Noether (1882–1935)
  • Albert Einstein (1879-1955) - Jewish
  • Max Born (1882-1970) - He married Hedwig, née Ehrenberg, who was of Jewish descent (although a practising Christian)
  • Niels Bohr (1885-1962) - his mother, Ellen Adler Bohr, came from a wealthy Sephardic Jewish family, his father was Christian
  • Erwin Schrödinger (1887-1961) - His father was a Catholic and his mother was a Lutheran
  • Louis de Broglie (1892–1987) - Christian
  • Satyendra Bose (1894–1974) - Hindu
  • Leo Szilard (1898–1964) - Jewish
  • Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958) - Three of his four grandparents were Jewish but was raised as a Roman Catholic
  • Enrico Fermi (1901-1954) - Christian
  • Ettore Majorana (1906-1938) -
  • Werner Heisenberg (1901-1976) - by all accounts was loyal to Germany, but not the Nazi regime
  • Paul Dirac (1902-1984) - Christian
  • Robert Oppenheimer (1904–1967) - of Jewish descent but they did not observe the religious traditions.
  • George Gamow (1904–1968) -
  • Hans Bethe (1906–2005) - Christian father and a Jewish mother. He was raised a Christian
  • Lev Davidovich Landau (1908–1968) - Cannot find information, but I might guess Jewish
  • John Bardeen (1908-1991)
  • José Enrique Moyal (1910-1998)
  • Richard Feynman 1918-1988) - his parents were Jewish
  • Abdus Salam (1926-1996)- Ahmadiyya Muslim
  • Revaz Dogonadze (1931-1985) -
  • John Wheeler (1911-)
  • Yoichiro Nambu (1921–) - Japanese born
  • Chen Ning Yang (1922–) - 楊振寧 - Chinese
  • Martin Gutzwiller (1925-)
  • Peter Higgs (1929-)
  • Roger Penrose (1931-)
  • Sheldon Glashow (1932-)
  • Steven Weinberg (1933-) - "Religion is an insult to human dignity. "
  • Martinus Veltman (1937-) -
  • Kip Thorne (1940-) - born in Utah
  • David Gross (1941-)
  • Stephen Hawking (1942-)
  • V. Balakrishnan (1943-) - From India
  • Gerardus 't Hooft (1946-)
  • Michio Kaku (1947–) - Born in the USA of Japanese ancestry
  • Edward Witten (1951-)
  • David Deutsch (1953-) - He is an atheist.
  • Brian Greene (1963-)
  • Juan Maldacena (1968-)
  • Tom Kibble
  • Ashoke Sen (1956-) - Native of India not likely Jewish
  • Harold Puthoff
  • Mark Roberts
  • Gerald Rothberg
  • Sankar Das Sarma
Purists please note, in the above list "Christian" may not mean practicing or believing Christian but of Christian ancestry.

There are 73 names on this list. If your claim that most famous scientists are jews is correct, there should be 37 Jews. Even discounting conversion, I count ten and I'll give you Lev Davidovich Landau and Steven Weinberg because of their names. You have perhaps twelve Jews on the list. Please show that 25 more on this list are Jewish, or provide some other evidence to back up your racist assertion.

you seem to be better in this field than you are in scripture. No thank you for those names ... they mean nothing to me.

User avatar
McCulloch
Site Supporter
Posts: 24068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Post #49

Post by McCulloch »

topaz wrote:I know most famous scientists are jews, anyway.
topaz wrote:No thank you for those names ... they mean nothing to me.
If the names of famous theoretical physicists mean nothing to you, then why do you make such assertions as, "most famous scientists are jews" ?
The fact is you know virtually nothing about most famous scientists yet you act as if you can make unsupported and factually incorrect statements about them:
  1. Einstein is a Christian
  2. Newton is a Jew
  3. most famous scientists are jews
A factually incorrect statement knowingly made is called a lie. A factually incorrect statement unknowingly made is called ignorance. You should at least retract what you said.
topaz wrote:You seem to be better in this field than you are in scripture.
Knowledge in one area does not imply ignorance in another. Why should we trust the biblical interpretation of someone who had demonstrated a willingness to boldly make assertions which are either lies or ignorance.
topaz wrote:My definition for God is a synonym really .... GOD = LOVE period.
God is still not a synonym for for love. Your post still makes no sense.
topaz wrote:We pray to a living God. LIVING means alive means He talks to us. He guides us in life.
But God = Love. You pray to a living love, who talks to you and guides you?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

topaz
Apprentice
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:43 am

Post #50

Post by topaz »

Hello McCulloch

1- You’re deviating from this thread. You must create a new thread if you persist on arguing over names of scientists.

2- Are you trying to impress me with your cut n past of some names. B/c this isn’t going to help you when you come before the throne of God.

3- You don’t need to trust my interpretations. Rebut me. I’ll take you on.

4- You’ve proven to me your inability to fathom simple teachings in scripture that you quote so eagerly to disprove me. Not at all impressive.

5- You hate God and you hate His people … and … you hate even more when I say God = Love.

6- It is unfortunate that you’ve detached yourself from the only living entity that is the source of true LOVE. I will not ask why you choose to apostatize. However, it’s a bad choice and the hate that you spread will eventually destroy you. I caution you to step back and calm down.

Post Reply