What Does Christian mean? What makes a person a Christian?

Definition of terms and explanation of concepts

Moderator: Moderators

Salt Agent
Apprentice

What Does Christian mean? What makes a person a Christian?

Post #1

Post by Salt Agent »

There is a similar thread which discusses the difference between a Christian and a Deist.

This is meant as a starting point for use in discussions, although not exhaustive. Following are secular and Biblical sources.

Given that a Christian means "Christ-like" and or Christ follower, and as stated below, believes in and practices the teachings of Christ, one cannot by definition be a Christian and a Muslim at the same time, or embrace two systems that are mutually exclusive.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Chris·tian (krĭs'chən) Pronunciation Key
adj.
Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
Showing a loving concern for others; humane.

noun
One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Also Saved, Born Again,

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary -
Born again

Born again (Theol.), regenerated; renewed; having received spiritual life. ``Except a man be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God.'' [Words of Christ] --John 3:3

New International Version (NIV) Copyright ©

John 3:7
7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[a] must be born again.'
Footnotes:
John 3:7 The Greek- you is plural.

John 14:6
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Romans 10:9,10
9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

http://www.gotquestions.org/born-again.html